Joe Lauzon's future

I think that's as good as Joe gets. Good, but not very good.

Jim Miller may just be on the outskirts of the top 5 (or actually in the top 5 in my opinion) but Dana said at the post-fight conference that he is 1 fight away from a title shot. After a performance like that from Lauzon against Miller, he might not be top 10 now but he's still a decent enough fighter to stick around and maybe make it in the top 10.

He's a top entertainer, but needs to improve his stand up. His bjj is beautiful. Loved the sweep and the flying sub attempt in the end. I'd like to see him fight the cowboy next. He will have to make some adjustments if he ever wanna get a title shot.

Miller looked awesome last night. He should fight Varner next I think.

That is one hell of a division. Those 2 guys would be ranked higher in any other weight class.

I'd love to see him and Varner.

Love J-Lau one of my favorites, always brings it, but in order for him to ever win a title he'd have to start fighting more carefully and that just ain't his style.
I don't think he has to tone down in his aggression or fight carefully, I just think he needs to improve his striking. Last night it was Miller's striking that won him the fight as was the case with Pettis. Of course, he'd do well to improve his BJJ as well as guys like Miller and Bendo aren't easy to sub but as of now I think his striking should be his main concern.
Lauzon vs Josh Thomson

Fantastic idea.

Joe is a gate keeper at LW. Nothing more nothing less.

Great to watch fighter.

Lauzon? Not even close. This is LW we're talking about - Joe Lauzon should be grateful if anyone ranks him among the top 20.

He should be considered Top 20.
Those fights with G Sots and Stout are old and he has done some bigger stuff since dropping fights to them. He gassed badly in both but seems to have figured out how to pace himself since then.
No shame in losing to Pettis or Miller, those are both top guys.

Beat Varner and Melvin, both by submission. Subbed Jeremy Stephens earlier in his career as well.

Should be in the bottom quarter of Top 20, IMO.

I don't think he has to tone down in his aggression or fight carefully, I just think he needs to improve his striking. Last night it was Miller's striking that won him the fight as was the case with Pettis. Of course, he'd do well to improve his BJJ as well as guys like Miller and Bendo aren't easy to sub but as of now I think his striking should be his main concern.

If he wants to compete for a title he will most certainly have to tone it down, as in not be open to stand and bang with everyone and fight a little more defensively. I'm a big fan of his but the Pettis fight is a perfect example, Joe is such a warrior that he believe's he can bang with anyone and is willing to in order to give the fans what they want, but in reality he needs to be a bit more cautious depending on who he's fighting if he wants to contend.

Are we talking about in the world or in the UFC??

Entering the fight he was #9 ufc LW and I would actually put him higher, but yeah if you are including guys like Chandler, Alvarez, Melendez, Healy, Hawn, or guys like Edgar, Guida who are 145 now he further down

I think Lauzon could definitely beat guys like Grant, Wiman, Thomson, Tibau, Masvidal, Bocek, Yves Edwards, Aoki

So hes top 20 in the world, top 10 in the UFC IMO and thats very respectable

According to whom? I don't follow rankings very much, but I'm not aware of any bona fide official ranking system?

I've seen all sorts of lists for the UFC. So far I've seen Lauzon being placed between no.7 and no.21 in the UFC lw division, depending on which list you look at.

Personally I like to use this list

because I feel it seems to be the most logical overall. It's not based so much on how good fighters look, as on how their actual records look.

It isn't really up to date (last update was March 21st 2012) and it does contain some inconsistencies, but I think it is more or less correct in placing Lauzon (after corrections by yours truly, removing a few retired/inactive/division changing fighters still on the list) at 26, worldwide. He has gone
1-1 since the last update, which shouldn't move him very far in either direction.

Following the same list, Lauzon would be no.20 in the UFC , behind:

Ben Henderson
Evan Dunham
Frankie Edgar
Gray Maynard
Jim Miller
Nate Diaz
Matt Wiman
Donald Cerrone
BJ Penn (he's still listed, and I don't know if he should be removed)
Gleison Tibau
Rafael Dos Anjos
Anthony Pettis
Melvin Guillard
George Sotiropoulos
Clay Guida
Tony Ferguson
Edson Barboza
Sam Stout
Mac Danzig

Add the rest of the world and Lauzon would also have to make way for:

Gilbert Melendez
Eddie Alvarez
Shinya Aoki
Josh Thomson
Gesias Calvancante

Do I agree with Lauzon being behind every fighter on that list? No. Do I think he could beat a lot of them? Yes.
But besides a few obvious mistakes, I really do think Lauzon should be ranked below the people on this list.
Keep in mind there are also a few names not even mentioned on the list that could reasonably be placed ahead of Lauzon as well.

When you look at Lauzon's record in the last few years, really the only guys of note that he's beaten is Varner and Guillard. And he wasn't making waves before that.
Like I said, he might be placed in the top 20. But only if you happen to view him favourably.

It's Lightweight, man. You simply keep forgetting how many great fighters there are to choose from.

Edit: another good ranking system. Has Lauzon at 18, worldwide.

Last edited:
The guy JUST started fighting effectively after the first round, he hasn't even come close to reaching his ceiling in the sport.

the thing w/ lightweight fighters is everyone is capable of beating each other. It's such a deep weight class. I think Joe can make another run at the title.

He may never be Champion, but Lauzon is one of the most entertaining fighters in the UFC.

Love to watch him fight, but he's just not consistent enough. He has tremendous heart though

Lauzon? Not even close. This is LW we're talking about - Joe Lauzon should be grateful if anyone ranks him among the top 20.

idx37b.jpg

Jim miller is defiantly a top 5 lightweight and Lauzons a top 10 lightweight shut up you posers

If he wants to compete for a title he will most certainly have to tone it down, as in not be open to stand and bang with everyone and fight a little more defensively. I'm a big fan of his but the Pettis fight is a perfect example, Joe is such a warrior that he believe's he can bang with anyone and is willing to in order to give the fans what they want, but in reality he needs to be a bit more cautious depending on who he's fighting if he wants to contend.
I think what happened in the Pettis fight is that Lauzon was just plain outmatched by Pettis on the feet, not that hwas too aggressive. Besides, I believe his aggression was the key to his win over Guillard.
The guy JUST started fighting effectively after the first round, he hasn't even come close to reaching his ceiling in the sport.

I have this impression as well.

Lower Top 10, fringe Top 10 fighter but definitely puts on a show every fight.

I think what happened in the Pettis fight is that Lauzon was just plain outmatched by Pettis on the feet, not that hwas too aggressive. Besides, I believe his aggression was the key to his win over Guillard.

Right,my point was that his aggression is at times both a strength and a downfall of his. In the case of the Guillard fight his aggression served him well, in the case of the Pettis fight he should have used more caution with a striker of his caliber.

Right,my point was that his aggression is at times both a strength and a downfall of his. In the case of the Guillard fight his aggression served him well, in the case of the Pettis fight he should have used more caution with a striker of his caliber.

I still disagree, I think Pettis would've outstruck him either way. Still, its possible he could've avoided the KO so maybe you have a point.

He's a bit tentative when striking, needs better defense and counters but he has the heart to be a top fighter with his fight against Miller. Just keep working. :icon_arro

Back