Joe Calzaghe please come out of retirement!

What does smw have to do with anything, he retired as lhw champ and the fight that the op was prompting was vs dawson (a lhw).

What does smw have to do with anything, he retired as lhw champ and the fight that the op was prompting was vs dawson (a lhw).

You're right I got carried away with the way the post went and the whole super 6 theme.

No he should probably stay retired, All he'd fight for now is respect and because of the type of person he is and where he's from i.e. Shy, Quiet and Away from the Public- Plus Being a Non- American he would never get respect no matter what he did.
Every time he had a fight people would right him off, Lacy became overrated after Joe dismantled him, before that Lacy was the next Tyson and it was Joe's beating that turned him into what he is now, He wasn't over-rated.

So he shouldn't un-retire, He'd probably get bashed for beating anyone in the Super 6, Which for what it's worth I think he beats every one of them, If you disagree maybe you don't know Boxing or you're very biased.

cmon all he did is beat a slow roy jones jr and got a gift decision in hopkins fight
what?come out of retiremnet joe and get slaughtered

Theres no need or any sense for him to come out of retirement. hes 38 years old, has had 46 fights, is undefeated and was champion in SMW and LHW.

All comming out of retirement can do is hurt him. Even duing his last fights he didnt have the speed and reflexes he used to have (although he still had a lot of speed and reflexes regardless).

His style is dependant on cardio, speed and reflexes..... that kind of fighter has a limmited lifespan and at 38 and being inactive for the last couple of years will cripple his game.

Look whats happened to Ali and Roy jones for example, lost their physical gifts and didnt know when to call it a day.

People always say a certain fighter should have fought a certain new up and comming fighter, but theres always new fighters comming through, so its a never ending cycle and sometimes a fighter has to say i'm done.

Joe got out at the right time and retired on top.

In closing, no Joe, please do not come out of retirement.

Every time he had a fight people would right him off, Lacy became overrated after Joe dismantled him, before that Lacy was the next Tyson and it was Joe's beating that turned him into what he is now, He wasn't over-rated.

Spot on, and it is almost to the point that it becomes hilarious.

Here is a thread made by Tam-Tam after the Lacy/Calzaghe fight:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f53/i-told-you-347595/

And LOL at some of the responses!

Here is a pre-fight prediction thread, where a lot of current regulars all picked Lacy (who is now considered over-rated LMAO):

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f53/who-you-picking-lacy-calzaghe-340670/

Sorry, I had to do it.
Regulars like Tam_Tam, pulpduff, devante, spinal tapout, elbowsmash, Necrocide, gamedog, Maverick34, Shaolin Bushido all picked Calzaghe, yet now that Lacy was humiliated from start to finish, he is over-rated. Not all of those mentioned say he was over-rated, but most of them did. There are a few other Calzaghe haters predictions from here that I couldn't find, but I am sure they fit the description as well.

And here is a good post in a a different thread from Kid McCoy:

"I just can’t say enough good things about Joe Calzaghe tonight !.

119-105....119-107...119-107......a blow out !

16 years and 41 pro fights undefeated, 18-0 in championship bouts, and he just turned in one of the most brilliant performances I’ve seen in a long time.

Lacy wasn’t over rated, we'll have none of that crap, He’s a bull, and a future title regainer, but he was so thoroughly taken to school it wasn’t even funny.
Calzaghe is everything we thought he was, only now he’s proven to be all that beyond any question.

One of the top P for P in the world, and from the look of it, a future hall of famer too.

He’ll go snatch Woods’ title next, but I’d like to see him take out the Jones-Hopkins winner after that, and he’ll do it too.

Here’s a 7th generation Yankee who takes his hat off to Joe…….And the whole of the UK ought to be very very proud of the only active Welsh athlete that this shore cares about, and considers after tonight, .........a superstar."

Well done!

Lacy was considered over-rated after the fight with Sheika.

Lacy was considered over-rated after the fight with Sheika.

Lacy was considered over-rated after the Sheika fight by whom exactly? You can't speak for everyone.

And this fight took place almost 2 years before the Calzaghe fight, yet most people still picked Lacy to beat Calzaghe.

Most people?

No.. most Americans.. many of whom had no idea who Cal was..

and the people that did know who cal was that picked Lacy were basing that decision off of the fact that Cal had demonstrated a questionable chin while Lacy had demonstrated really good one punch power.

On skill, Cal had Lacy's number and that is what the fight came down to.

If Calzaghe came out of retirement he would get his ass kicked and everyone would say he was way past his prime and whoever beat him wouldn't get much credit for the win nor should they... Does anybody see the irony in that:icon_chee

Most people?

No.. most Americans.. many of whom had no idea who Cal was..

and the people that did know who cal was that picked Lacy were basing that decision off of the fact that Cal had demonstrated a questionable chin while Lacy had demonstrated really good one punch power.

On skill, Cal had Lacy's number and that is what the fight came down to.

As far as the people I mentioned, only one of them is not American that I know of.

Do you care to explain when Calzaghe showed a questionable chin before the Lacy fight? I ask because I haven't seen many of his fights before the Lacy fight.
Besides, you don't have any foundation as to WHY people picked Lacy over Calzaghe.
Speak for yourself.

Cal has a history of being shook and Byron Mitchell dropped him.

People in the know had questions about his chin.

Cal has a history of being shook and Byron Mitchell dropped him.

People in the know had questions about his chin.

Cool. I guess Juan Manuel Lopez and Amir Khan are the next Joe Calzaghe's of their respective weight classes since you put it like that.

Cool. I guess Juan Manuel Lopez and Amir Khan are the next Joe Calzaghe's of their respective weight classes since you put it like that.

Well JML has the advantage of having proven himself vs. prime opponents..

Your logic doesnt work here bro..

Cal may be every bit as good as you say he was, but he never proved it against competition that was dangerous enough to force him to reach his full potential.

His best win is Kesslar.. and that was great, but other than that, I'm not that impressed.

Well JML has the advantage of having proven himself vs. prime opponents..

Your logic doesnt work here bro..

Cal may be every bit as good as you say he was, but he never proved it against competition that was dangerous enough to force him to reach his full potential.

His best win is Kesslar.. and that was great, but other than that, I'm not that impressed.

Well, that's like your opinion...Man.

As far as JML, saying he has proved himself is laughable. He hasn't even had the opportunity to prove himself against a legit opponent yet.
Sure he has fought a couple name opponents, but not against anyone to give him that type of credibility. I actually like Juanma, but that is pushing it.

Calzaghe is way more proven, and impressive in the ring.

Ponce De Lon for starters...

but I will give you this...if JML goes the rest of his career without facing the wealth of talent around him, I will speak of him exactly like I speak of Cal.

Props of the Bigalowe quote

Ponce De Lon for starters...

but I will give you this...if JML goes the rest of his career without facing the wealth of talent around him, I will speak of him exactly like I speak of Cal.

Props of the Bigalowe quote

Cool.

I like Ponce de Leon and all, but he is nothing more than a bum killer. He is flat footed and has nothing more than a stiff left and a decent right hook.

Cool.

I like Ponce de Leon and all, but he is nothing more than a bum killer. He is flat footed and has nothing more than a stiff left and a decent right hook.

did you see his last fight?

Also, he has an intense workrate that is more valuable than either qualities you mentioned imo. He throws close to 100 punches per round and never gets tired.

did you see his last fight?

Also, he has an intense workrate that is more valuable than either qualities you mentioned imo. He throws close to 100 punches per round and never gets tired.

His fight against Cornelius Lock?
I can't remember if I saw it so I can't comment, but I see that he failed to stop an opponent who had been stopped in 3 of his 4 losses prior to Ponce.

Either way, he is a likable fighter but no one to get excited about. Although his only two losses came to two current relevant fighters. But I honestly don't think his current arsenal is enough to take him all the way. It would take his next opponent/performance for me to give a better assessment.
Any word on his next opponent?

Back