Joe Calzaghe please come out of retirement!

irishmadmanMCM

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would anyone else be glad to see Calzaghe come out of retirement and have this fight made?

joe_calzaghe_280x39_370196a.jpg
vs.
box_fw_dawson_300.jpg

More likely he'll unretire and call out Sven Ottke or Antwun Echols.

I dont really wanna see it.
I think he was a bit over rated anyway and he doesnt need to take the airtime away from upcoming prospects who deserve it more by fighting top competition.

Nah I've never heard of anyone else express this wish.

Nah, Calzaghe ought to stay retired now.

n6b05y.jpg

He was a good fighter, a Champion, he played his career out exactly the way he wanted to play it regarding staying undefeated which was more important to him than meeting the best opponents.
That's the way several top fighters try to do it nowadays.

He played his string out till the end.

Nah, Calzaghe ought to stay retired now.

n6b05y.jpg

He was a good fighter, a Champion, he played his career out exactly the way he wanted to play it regarding staying undefeated which was more important to him than meeting the best opponents.
That's the way several top fighters try to do it nowadays.

He played his string out till the end.

Utter horseshit! I just don't get why some people are so bias against certain fighters? As for the OP I think he's to old.

I don't think Cal could beat 3 of the super six

I don't think Cal could beat 3 of the super six

Which one's are those? He did Kessler. NOT Green. I don't see Froch winning more than 2 or three rounds. Dirrell hasn't impressed me much to be a favorite against Calzaghe. Calzaghe wouldn't slow down for Abraham to get going, Abe would be in his shell all night. Maybe Ward with his speed and hit/grab technique could get a decision, but I still think Joe beats him too.

I think Calzaghe can take all six of them. Chad Dawson would be a good fight.

Utter horseshit! I just don't get why some people are so bias against certain fighters? As for the OP I think he's to old.

Calzaghe was a very good fighter, but just how good was he?
That can be answered by fighting the best opponents available.
He was good, but nobody knows just how good nor quite where or how you rank him.

Any fan knows there were some better opponents for him and at different times than who he and Warren chose to fight.

maywetaher does the same thing, and it's a crying shame.

Which one's are those? He did Kessler. NOT Green. I don't see Froch winning more than 2 or three rounds. Dirrell hasn't impressed me much to be a favorite against Calzaghe. Calzaghe wouldn't slow down for Abraham to get going, Abe would be in his shell all night. Maybe Ward with his speed and hit/grab technique could get a decision, but I still think Joe beats him too.

I think Calzaghe can take all six of them. Chad Dawson would be a good fight.

Abraham, Dirrel, and the best of them all = Ward

Abraham doesn't need Cal to slow down.. Cal plays too much and Abraham is a guy that stays calm and sticks to his game plan. He waits like a mousetrap.. and he would catch Cal and really hurt him in the mid rounds and then take over from there imo,,

Dirrel vs. Cal would be a close fight, but I Dirrels footwork would be the difference

Ward would outslick Cal in every way..

this is just my take from seeing each of these fighters fight.

For my own selfish purposes I would love to see him come out of retirement. That goes for any elite boxers that are still at or near the top of their game. On top of that I liked his style- very unorthodox and therefore entertaining to me. I disagree with those that said he would lose to 3 of the guys in the super six- The only one I see giving him a real run for the 'W' would be Ward and I don't see him winning that fight either, no matter how you cut it. Having said that, I respect his decision- the dude's earned retirement and, in my eyes, respect.

Sure i'd like to see him fight again, there are good fights for him at the moment and i would enjoys seeing him matched up with guys like dawson,bute,abraham and froch. He probably would have lost to one of these guys at some point so maybe he made the right move.

Leave the man be! Very few boxers know when to hang up the gloves, and the fact that Joe has done so while being undefeated and knowing when to call it quits (before time does it thing) is already a hugely laudable achievement.

Calzaghe was a very good fighter, but just how good was he?
That can be answered by fighting the best opponents available.
He was good, but nobody knows just how good nor quite where or how you rank him.

Any fan knows there were some better opponents for him and at different times than who he and Warren chose to fight.

maywetaher does the same thing, and it's a crying shame.

You were talking as though Joe avoided certain fighters which he never, he was the top dog in a weak div for years (don't even go there with Ottke!) and when Lacey and Kessler came sniffing 2 fighters who I think were bookies fav at the time younger, hungry and very dangerous came sniffing he fought them both.Hardley playing it safe and trying to keep a 0 in the loss column! I don't even think Joe could make SMW no more it was a bit of a daft thread.

Back