Joe Biden calls game developers "little creeps" who make titles that "teach you how to kill"

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This is a War Room thread I figured better suited for the VG.

Joe Biden calls game developers "little creeps" who make titles that "teach you how to kill"

A hot potato: Politicians rarely have anything good to say about video games, and former US vice president Joe Biden is particularly unimpressed by the industry, calling developers he met at the White House “creeps” and “arrogant” who make games that teach people how to kill.
Biden, who is currently campaigning to become the Democratic nominee for the 2020 presidential election, shared his opinions in an interview with the New York Times. When asked about Silicon Valley’s expansion of power during his time in the Obama administration, Biden said: “And you may recall, the criticism I got for meeting with the leaders in Silicon Valley, when I was trying to work out an agreement dealing with them protecting intellectual property for artists in the United States of America. And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people.”

As for which game executive Biden was referring to as a creep, Kotaku has some theories about who the person might be, including EA’s then-CEO John Riccitiello.

“And then one of these righteous people said to me that, you know, 'We are the economic engine of America. We are the ones.' And fortunately I had done a little homework before I went and I said, you know, I find it fascinating,” Biden continued. “As I added up the seven outfits, everyone’s there but Microsoft. I said, you have fewer people on your payroll than all the losses that General Motors just faced in the last quarter, of employees. So don’t lecture me about how you’ve created all this employment.. The point is, there’s an arrogance about it, an overwhelming arrogance that we are, we are the ones. We can do what we want to do. I disagree.”

Biden has expressed his distaste for video games in the past. During 2013, while he was vice president, he proposed an additional tax on violent media, including violent games.
It's funny how larger political agendas warp the zeitgeist. I remember when it was the Republicans who banged this stupid drum. Then, suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, Democrats decided the videogame industry was evil. I noticed this was around the time that whore Zoe Quinn pushed her #GamerGate hoax. The world flip-flopped, and somehow I find an (rumored) EA Executive to be the more sympathetic figure in a news story. This is an actuality I would have previously considered unfathomable. If you put Hitler, Stalin, and an EA Executive in a room, but gave me just two bullets...I'd shoot the EA Executive twice.

Bravo, Biden. Now go fuck yourself.

3A1Z.gif

pot_calling_the_kettle_black_t_shirt-rd35fdb72b599405f8fd7e60b3cc37846_k2gr0_307.jpg

Joe's such a creepy fucker, isn't he? If he was a construction worker, catcalling a woman, he'd be like "Hey baby, I wanna buttfuck you then your mom, and your sister? How old is s- psyche!! Don't care!!"

And even the other workers are like WTF.

Warmonger cries about killing? I guess he doesnt like any kind of competition.

I'm not surprised that I can't find the video of him groping different women and girls. YouTube and Google will suppress it and protect him.

Creepy Uncle Joe calling game developers creeps.

I can’t believe this senile old fart is like the front runner.

I remember when it was the Republicans who banged this stupid drum. Then, suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, Democrats decided the videogame industry was evil.
I remember Joe Lieberman trying to ban violent games 25 years ago. A decade later, Hillary was on a similar track. It's not really new.

As opposed to a big Creep that can’t keep his fucking hands to himself. Way to alienate the youth vote Dumbass.

If you put Hitler, Stalin, and an EA Executive in a room, but gave me just two bullets...I'd shoot the EA Executive twice.
LOL. Excuse the dumb question because I don't usually play EA games but why do people hate them so much?

I don't understand why the Democratic establishment keeps pushing this dude. Completely out of touch.

It's not just politicians. Lots of adults in general have a warped view of video games and the industry. It's mostly out of ignorance and stereotypes. Like, my girlfriend insists her boys only play the Xbox so many hours a week. In and if itself I don't think there's a problem with limiting their time playing games. What baffles me is that television is fine, though. Like, "Ok, Xbox time is up", so now he just watches wrestling for 3 hours.

I'm winning her over, though. Slowly, but surely. The angle that games are actually interactive and recquire active thinking, planning, reaction, strategy, etc as opposed to being purely observational is convincing her. But she still has that intrinsic bias that video games have an insidious influence. Which certainly they can, but my point is they're much better than television.

This is a War Room thread I figured better suited for the VG.

It's funny how larger political agendas warp the zeitgeist. I remember when it was the Republicans who banged this stupid drum. Then, suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, Democrats decided the videogame industry was evil. I noticed this was around the time that whore Zoe Quinn pushed her #GamerGate hoax. The world flip-flopped, and somehow I find an (rumored) EA Executive to be the more sympathetic figure in a news story. This is an actuality I would have previously considered unfathomable. If you put Hitler, Stalin, and an EA Executive in a room, but gave me just two bullets...I'd shoot the EA Executive twice.

Bravo, Biden. Now go fuck yourself.

this is coming from the lawyer who said that when a home invasion happens, all we need to do is stand on our balconies and shoot a double-barreled shotgun into the sky.

unlike children, biden hasn't had a grasp of law (his advice isn't just terrible, it's generally illegal), guns, video games, pools, or etc in... ever? ie: biden's being biden. he's a clueless fuck, same as ever.

I remember Joe Lieberman trying to ban violent games 25 years ago. A decade later, Hillary was on a similar track. It's not really new.

not just vidya, obviously. the pmrc nonsense preceded this shit.

I'm a believer that the MATRIX shootout inspired the Columbine shooters .

Grand Theft Auto and stuff no so much.

old, out of touch grandpa giving his nuclear take on videogame developement
<Fedor23>

I'm a believer that the MATRIX shootout inspired the Columbine shooters .

Grand Theft Auto and stuff no so much.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's true. At the same time I'd still bet they'd have shot up something for some reason.

These kids with their shoot em up video games. They need to spend some good quality time with their parents around the record player or why don’t they hang out with their friends out at the soda shoppe? That’d be better than playing this violent stuff coming out of Tinseltown.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's true. At the same time I'd still bet they'd have shot up something for some reason.
They called themselves "trench coat mafia" so the Trench coat shootout scene certainly didn't help. .the guy had a huge Matrix poster on his wall also~ yikes.

He also wrote shit like " Free yourself of the matrix"

I wouldn't mind if he kept commenting on it. Wouldn't be surprised if we got a soundbite of him wanting to ban "Night Trap" from retailers.

Back