Job Interview Etiquette

Gregolian

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, I've been applying for a ton of jobs the last month (like, 20 so far).

I have a full time job with good benefits and such but the pay is pretty "meh" given the cost of living in my area.

I was offered an interview for a place where rent is only 200-300 more a month but my monthly take home (pre taxes) goes up 700. It's a good opportunity for me, puts me closer to a larger "market" so to speak (I work for the Court system) and such.

Only issue, I got an Email this afternoon at 4:18 for an interview on Wednesday at 2:00. I currently work in a 3 person department and one person is out all week on vacation so there's no way my boss would let me take the time off for a job interview. And she's a pretty awesome boss that would allow me time off to pursue better opportunities for myself.

So, my question is this, am I going against etiquette or, well, the grain in responding to the Email letting them know how short handed my current job is and that I couldn't do an in-person interview on Wednesday but I could do something next week or see if they'd be willing to do something over the phone or like on FaceTime? I feel like that isn't too much to ask but I also worry that by asking that I've shot myself in the foot before the "race" has even begun so to speak.

Thoughts?

If they're convinced that you really are delaying the interview to help at your current job while they're shorthanded, they might be impressed.

That said, the job market is pretty heavy right now and they probably got a lot of applicants

1. Arrive 10 minutes early.

2. Dress professionally.

3. Learn about the company and the job position before hand.

If they're convinced that you really are delaying the interview to help at your current job while they're shorthanded, they might be impressed
Guess it's just my personality but my two roommates, 4 close friends, the ONE person at my job that is close to my age (she's older than me by like 2 years while everyone else is at minimum a decade) all said the same thing but my brain keeps doing the "man, you may have screwed yourself by asking for that"

1. Arrive 10 minutes early.

2. Dress professionally.

3. Learn about the company and the job position before hand.
1. All my interviews I am usually there 20 minutes early if not more

2. Always wear a suit, usually black of super dark charcoal (basically black)

3. It sounds like based on the job description it's the same job I have now. Problem is the posting doesn't say if it's District Court or Superior Court so without knowing that I can't really tell exactly what I'd be doing.

Fart

Avoid Eye Contact

Low talker / mumble

That said, the job market is pretty heavy right now and they probably got a lot of applicants
Yeah, this is the part concerning me the most. Grumble. Less than 48 hours notice sucks for this, plus I live over 2 hours away from where this job would be.

Im pretty good w interviews despite being permanently hungover. The key is to take lead in conversation. (unless you apply to become a bitch)

You are overthinking it. If you are planning on leaving them, they're soon to be fucked anyways. And you will probabl be gone only a few hours anyways

Putting them off until next week should not cost you the opportunity. If they throw a fuss about that then you probably don't want to work there. I am sure they will understand that you have a job and need to honor your commitment. Express your regrets about not being able to accommodate their request and let them know you will have more flexibility next week.

If they're convinced that you really are delaying the interview to help at your current job while they're shorthanded, they might be impressed.

I did this as well. Not really an interview as I already was hired by a new company. I asked for an extra 2 weeks so that my replacement can adjust before I moved on.

Putting them off until next week should not cost you the opportunity. If they throw a fuss about that then you probably don't want to work there. I am sure they will understand that you have a job and need to honor your commitment. Express your regrets about not being able to accommodate their request and let them know you will have more flexibility next week.

I agree. I actually had a similar situation. I company wanted me to come in for an interview on a day where I was PACKED at my current job with meetings and had to support a VIP issue as well. I thanked the new company for the opportunity and asked if it was at all possible to move it to the next week. I explained that personally and professionally I could not make the original date they requested as I had given my word as a professional that I would be at my current job on that particular day b/c it was a busy day.. They said no problem and moved it. Haven't heard back yet (it was only like 2 days ago) but I don't think that would be the deal breaker. Like you said. If they aren't flexible on that or want me to screw my current job at an outside chance at a new job I don't want to work there anyway.

I hate phone interviews. There's too much phonyness involved, and I can never tell if the other person is genuine.
Can't read body language or see the sweat dripping down their forehead.
You also can't gauge their interest level over the phone.
They could be doing 10 different things at once, and just phoning it in.

Well within your rights to ask for a short delay. They should be fine with that. I've done it many times.

I've also found if I'm employed and get an offer for an interview, they usually accommodate me for after I've finished, say 5pm onwards or I get to leave 45 early and that covers it.

Think of this as a Litmus test - if they can't be reasonable if you explain the situation to them, you dodged a bullet.

I don't see why scheduling the interview for ASAP next week would be an issue. If they don't understand that you have priorities in your life/present job, then it probably wouldn't be a place you would want to work.

Don't screw your co-workers. Postpone it until next week. As another poster stated, any company worth working for will understand your situation, and likely respect you for it.

I would first ask my boss if she would let me go to the interview. I would tell her that I totally understand if she doesn't want me to go, and that my priority is to the company. However, if there's any way I could get away (can I make up for it in some way, like doing overtime work), I would really appreciate it. If she says go ahead, I would get her a small thank-you gift...but that's me. Not necessary.

If she says no then you have no choice but to call the other employer and explain your situation, and try to set something else up.

If you just go to the interview without consulting with your boss, that's dissing someone you like. I don't advise it.

But you do what you gotta do, and good luck!

My exact thoughts. I would not count that against you at all and would actually see it as a positive. Personally, we would be fine delaying even if there are a lot of applicants. We are slow in the hiring process because we are very careful in who we pick. It all depends on the company though.

Back