Media Joanna says Rose can beat Zhang and that Valentina gotta be very careful with Andrade

Joanna had to work hard to keep andrade off. She had to be perfect that whole fight to keep her head getting taken off. Val SHOULD be able to fend off andrade easier but def got to be careful esp early.

I think the telling thing is Rose saying that Andrade hits hard as fuck. And that Val she be careful. But I also tske it with a grain of salt since they've trained together, so she probably hasn't felt Val's power.

Val has fought Nunes twice who is a much better striker with a lot more power than Andrade.

Then you should know she has nothing to worry about against Andrade.
She shouldnt. But still someone who commits to the MITMAB as much as Andrade,you always have to be careful,esp early. She seemed to be alot calmer and conservative in the Rose fight then in the Joanna fight,but she cant win that way I dont think.

She shouldnt. But still someone who commits to the MITMAB as much as Andrade,you always have to be careful,esp early. She seemed to be alot calmer and conservative in the Rose fight then in the Joanna fight,but she cant win that way I dont think.

I have never seen Valentina fighting careless even for a moment, not even against cans with zero power compared to Andrade. She makes less technical or fight IQ mistakes than any WMMA fighter ever. Andrade could only win by some really rare fluke KO or injury/cut, or if she could somehow manage to lay and pray her 3 rounds out of 5, which is almost as unlikely.

I have never seen Valentina fighting careless even for a moment, not even against cans with zero power compared to Andrade. She makes less technical or fight IQ mistakes than any WMMA fighter ever. Andrade could only win by some really rare fluke KO or injury/cut, or if she could somehow manage to lay and pray her 3 rounds out of 5, which is almost as unlikely.
Shit happens. I hope it doesnt. Val is the best female fighter in the world. Andrade is like a roided up diego sanchez with ko power. But still!

That makes sense for Shevchenko losing. But if Zhang loses, then she would have to fight Rose, who she lost to TWICE. What's the advantage there?
I do personally think that Joanna would prefer to fight Namajunas again rather than Zhang again. I just think Joanna *believes* that she would have more of a chance against Rose than Weili Zhang.

Also I believe that Weili Zhang trains so hard and is so dedicated that she is still getting better and better every week, and I don't quite see that same ferocious dedication from Rose. I think Weili Zhang "2021 version" might just be a whole nother level on from when we last saw her fight in March 2020.

I have Zhang to beat Rose by ferocious stoppage. A sub or KO. I think she'll blitz Rose and overwhelm her with speed and power.

Reactions: Gio
Shevy has much more power in her strikes than 115 lb Joanna. Andrade is going to walk right into a straight left & get hurt, just like she walked into Zhang's straight right.

She got away with walking into power shots against pitter patter hitters like JJ, Rose, Hill, Torres, & Chookagian. Shevy is a different beast altogether.

Joanna's fought 4 of them, that's crazy!!! But at the same time it's very interesting to hear her opinion about those fights since she's been in the cage with all of them.

Rose/Zhang part = Min 11:40

Shevchenko/Andrade part = 13:55

We already knew Rose CAN beat Zhang.

I think Joanna is right. Rose is so goddamn sharp when she’s on point. I could see it happening. And yes, any opponent of Andrade should be careful. She is a powerhouse.

Weili winning works more in her favor than Rose winning does.

she and Zhang had a classic that many people deemed the best fight of 2020. It was also a close fight. The money would be in the rematch.

Conversely, Rose beat her twice. Dominantly once. Decisively the second (though a far more competitive affair). How many fighters get a third crack at a champ that beat them twice before?
BJ Penn, Josh Barnett, Ken Shamrock, Heath Herring... It's a lot more common than it should be. Granted those all weren't title fights either.

I think, that Weili/Rose is like 60/40, but Valentina/Jessica is like 90/10.
I think Valentina will win by highkick, sorry I don't see Jessica winning, but maybe she improved a lot, you never know before fight. I don't think she is good vs kickers, based on JJ/Torres fights. Rose is mainly boxer, so it was easier to hang with her, for tank like Andrade.

I think, that Weili/Rose is like 60/40, but Valentina/Jessica is like 90/10.
I think Valentina will win by highkick, sorry I don't see Jessica winning, but maybe she improved a lot, you never know before fight. I don't think she is good vs kickers, based on JJ/Torres fights. Rose is mainly boxer, so it was easier to hang with her, for tank like Andrade.

The reason I see Weili as a relatively strong favorite is because I can’t really see Rose winning a war of attrition type of fight against her and that is assuredly the type of fight that Weili will make it.

That’s not to imply Rose isn’t tough. She obviously is very tough. But I could just see that pulverizing style of Zhang really sapping some of Rose’s best strengths and making her less effectual throughout the bout.

Now Rose has the talent- the hands, the angles to fight a smart, disciplined fight, stay on her bike and out land Weili. But in five rounds, against a champ who has been shown to not care about eating a shot in order to land her punches, I don’t think that’s going to be easy to achieve.

But you’re absolutely right. Shev vs. Andrade is the more lopsided fight. And I like Jessica a lot. I like her style. But the way I see it, she would have to put Val away. And we haven’t seen Valentina even close to being put away due to strikes in eight rounds against a noted, bigger aggressor like Nunes.

Yes one could argue Nunes fought a deliberately methodical fight while Jessica will just go all out and fight forward as she typically does, but I think that just plays into Shev counterpunching her or landing double legs.

Bottom line for me is we haven’t seen any performance of Shev where we could say it implies she is particularly vulnerable to what Andrade brings to the table. But we have seen performances of Andrade that indicate she could be vulnerable to what Shevchenko brings.

I know joanna don't have much time left in this sport and her last fight was a good showing but she shouldn't be getting the next title shit eitherway without winning a fight at least
When your last fight with Zhang was fight of the year ya kinda do

Joanna is speaking purely from a selfish perspective here.

She WANTS Zhang to lose and Shevchenko to lose. Eliminates 2 opponent's who beat her before.
lol people on sherdog... so what did she say wrong ?. Explain it to us sensei...

lol people on sherdog... so what did she say wrong ?. Explain it to us sensei...
it's very simple.
Joanna wants to be champ again either in 115lbs or 125lbs.
Assuming therefore that Joanna has to fight the winner of (one of) the two title-fights on Saturday to get that title-shot.
- I believe that Joanna views a title-fight against Rose as more likely to get the W (YES obviously I know she's lost to her twice before) and at 125lbs, Joanna would prefer to fight Andrade (she's beaten her before).

For one thing, Joanna prob doesn't want to sustain the same brutal mauling she got handed in her last fight with Zhang.

That's all it is : Joanna believes (rightly or wrongly) that she's more likely to win against NAmajunas and Andrade at their respective weight-classes. nothing more than that.

Back