Joanna on Zhang beating Andrade, why she turned down the fight with Zhang and fighting Zhang.

Zhang fans kinda sound like Joanna fans from a few years ago. She gonna do do this to so and so, and do do that to the other broad.

Joanna's reasoning is sound. Whether she accepted a fight with Weili or Waterson, it has the same effect on her position in the rankings, which is none. Meanwhile, no one else at 115 has done anything to bolster their case for a title shot.

What idiot would take that fight outside of a title fight or a top 5 fight? Weili got a faster shot at the belt than Till. Till at least got face time in the UK and got a big media push by Dana cause they needed to replace Bisping so there was value to face him for someone like Wonderboy.

2 or 3 people here knew who Weili was and talked about a potential fight before the fight with Andrade was announced. Now you people act like prophets.

This is pathetic even for this place.

"Had Joanna faced Zhang and won the fight"....
Lets keep it in Realville now....Joanna knows thats a Honey Badger in there....You could offer Boogie Woman a Title shot right now and she will pull up lame....

Joanna turned her down because Zhang was the definition of High Risk, Low Reward for her

Which is smart and understandable on Joanna's part, but at the same time it's sort of counterproductive to the sport

What's counter productive is taking 13 months off as champ and completely derailing the 115 division.

Also Joanna had, until she took a break this year, one of the highest work rates in UFC history. You have to take into account 5 round fights vs 3 found fights and camps. You only have so many 5 round camps/fights and weight cuts in you before it retires you.

What fucked everything up was Dana refused to let Joanna move to 125 like she asked after the 2nd Rose loss. She wanted to take significant time off for once, re-tool and freshly re-enter the 125 division and work her way up as she kept improving. Dana said no. He had her take a short notice fight vs Tecia that everyone forgets happened a few months after her 5 round war with Rose. She had a few months off and then when she was smallest she was told to fight Shev.

Do people not understand how the UFC works? They don't care about re-building fighters like boxing does. You fall as champ? Take the next fight and the next quickly now. Get fed to the wolves. Time off? What the fuck is that? Unless you are the golden boy/girl there's no such thing.

Weird how fans don't get it and twist facts. She built the 115 division. How the fuck did she derail it? That was Rose's 13 months off.

Turns down Zhang 3x because she wanted to fight for the title.

Accepts Waterson fight because it gets her closer to a title fight.

Dat logic.

Did you not read what I said? Zhang wasn't ranked very high before becoming champion. The fight makes sense now because Zhang finally validated her ranking as champion, but before that she was a dangerous fight against an unproven fighter. Your logic sucks.

Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't.

Had Joanna faced Zhang and won the fight, it probably would've been an extremely tough fight and Joanna wouldn't have gained much from it. Everyone on shertard would've brushed off Zhang, saying she isn't as good as everyone thought for her to be. All Joanna would've done is beat a tough prospect who wasn't proven.

So now, Joanna waits for her shot and Zhang now has proved herself a champion. But everyone is shitting on Joanna for "ducking" Zhang and turning down a dangerous fight. But now she's in the position to get a title shot and if she fights and beats Zhang, it will mean 100x more than had she taken the fight before.

I get what Joanna is doing, and Waterson was a bigger name than Zhang was before she won the title. Had Joanna taken the fight and lost against Zhang before she was champ, people would be saying that she's done and needs to retire because she was beaten by an unproven fighter.

Dat logic.
Dana promised her a title shot if she beat Tecia. They just used her up vs Shev. Not the fight she was ready for.

this shit makes me die every time.
i hate using the word "cringe", but my god Joanna.

That’s what’s in the dictionary for cringe. Saw that shit in the build up and was like wtf is she doing to herself.

I don't think 115 got derailed. It's not like 155 where title contenders were/are falling over one another. Name a 115er who lost out on a deserved title shot because shit was being held up.

This interview makes her sound stupid and self entitled. She refused Zhang’s call out because it would help her career ? I don’t understand her.

Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't.

Had Joanna faced Zhang and won the fight, it probably would've been an extremely tough fight and Joanna wouldn't have gained much from it. Everyone on shertard would've brushed off Zhang, saying she isn't as good as everyone thought for her to be. All Joanna would've done is beat a tough prospect who wasn't proven.

So now, Joanna waits for her shot and Zhang now has proved herself a champion. But everyone is shitting on Joanna for "ducking" Zhang and turning down a dangerous fight. But now she's in the position to get a title shot and if she fights and beats Zhang, it will mean 100x more than had she taken the fight before.

I get what Joanna is doing, and Waterson was a bigger name than Zhang was before she won the title. Had Joanna taken the fight and lost against Zhang before she was champ, people would be saying that she's done and needs to retire because she was beaten by an unproven fighter.
Joanna said this exactly in a previous interview.

Had she taken the fight and lost the outcome is obvious... if she won it doesn't hurt Weili much cause she faced the GOAT so it has little impact on her and maybe she has a few great moments and people will swoon over the way you still see that punch KK landed on her get posted like 4 years after the fact.

MMA fans are fucking idiots. If big name fighter loses to dangerous opponent they are trash. If they win it wasn't impressive enough and the opponent just needs to make a few key adjustments. Who is really delusional here. lol

Shes the goat you son of a bitch... now admit it!!

You dont sound half as triggered as her real fanboys when I call her Joanna Gatekeeper though ;).

Seriously where are her 2 white knights? I dont remember their names.

Golum is still so full of shit, I hope Zhang knocks her ass if they fight

Who knows if Joanna Contender can even make 115 again with those new funbags.
I'm all for allowing her pack an extra pound for legit reasons. <Moves>

I don't think 115 got derailed. It's not like 155 where title contenders were/are falling over one another. Name a 115er who lost out on a deserved title shot because shit was being held up.
Andrade and KK. Rose should have had to face Andrade first and then KK. I was here when the UFC was talking about the Andrade vs Tecia fight as a title eliminator. Unless they removed the commentary you can go back and listen to it on Fight Pass when they mention it.

Fast forward to Rose still sitting out and refusing to fight and replying to Joanna's comment about it saying she is not like Joanna (meaning she won't fight often like she did) and won't make the mistakes she did (JRE episode) and you can understand that belt was never going to be defended often with Rose at the helm. She would have strung that shit out so long Joanna would have had to retire regardless of how many fights she won before sniffing another title shot.

So the Andrade vs KK fight had to happen. Wasn't even an interim title fight. It should have been.

Doesn't matter. Rose was never going to beat Andrade outside of blowing her wad successfully which she failed. She lost to every single pressure fighter she faced in the UFC.

Joanna ducked Zhang, and now it's Joanna who needs Zhang
Yeah that was my take away from it. That’s alright though I don’t see JJ ever getting her title back. Her time has come and gone. It was a great run though and fun while it lasted

You dont sound half as triggered as her real fanboys when I call her Joanna Gatekeeper though ;).

Seriously where are her 2 white knights? I dont remember their names.

f95.jpg

I wouldn't say it was derailed, but it was definitely stalled out for a bit while Rose was sitting out with injuries. The top 5 got turned over completely except for Andrade while waiting for Rose to return and there's a whole new crop of fighters in the top 10. If Rose had been out much longer the contenders would've started knocking each other out like they did at 155.

Dat logic.

This. She just prefers easy fights like Waterson now that she's 1-3 in her last 4 fights. Zhang was ranked higher than Waterson and already top 10 when JJ last ducked her, both in rankings and actuality.

Last edited:
Back