JM Blakely Says Speed Work Is Useless

The video itself almost seems like a parody. I remember watching it a while back and reading some of the comments. Some people genuinely didn't know if this was a joke or not.

The video itself almost seems like a parody. I remember watching it a while back and reading some of the comments. Some people genuinely didn't know if this was a joke or not.

Hey Dave,

My raw meet max on bench is 451 lbs. I have hit 460 in gym. Should I use 40% of meet max or gym max?

I hope this one was a fucking joke lol.

Holy fuck, that Tate video is hilarious. The grunting was almost funnier than the ammonia before every set. Hardcore shit.

Thinking about it now, it must be. I know people love to make fun and memes about WSB so I thought this was one of the reasons why. Tate just trolling powerlifters I guess.

I think it's part joke, part advert for the EliteFTS Shoulder Saver Pad Tate's using;)

Last edited:
I don't think it's a joke at all. I think it's 100% serious.

I'm assuming JM Blakely is the guy who invented the JM press right?

He sounds like Robin Williams from Good Will Hunting. Everything he says makes total sense.

But for me I don't give a shit about competing in powerlifting personally, so I would think speed work would actually be beneficial for say MMA, BJJ, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.

Could this be the real reason Joe Sully left?

I have no idea about any of that. I don't really follow powerlifting that closely anymore. Especially with a lot of the elite, untested competitors, there's too much hardcoreness and mental instability.

I have no idea about any of that. I don't really follow powerlifting that closely anymore. Especially with a lot of the elite, untested competitors, there's too much hardcoreness and mental instability.
I follow Janis, and because of that, Joe.

How's nursing, bro?

I tried slamming against the weights like Tate with 120lbs of band tension and the bar almost ripped out of my hands lol

Back