JKD vs KB

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Bruce Lee wannabe fail. Im not knocking JKD as Im sure there is some good stuff from it (like all martial arts) and I have read Bruce Less Tao of Jeet Kune Do as well. A very bladed stances doesnt do well when leg kicks are allowed though.

Bruce Lee wannabe fail. Im not knocking JKD as Im sure there is some good stuff from it (like all martial arts) and I have read Bruce Less Tao of Jeet Kune Do as well. A very bladed stances doesnt do well when leg kicks are allowed though.

Sparring starts in 6:00 Bruce Lee’s gear white straps , good interview with Dan he’s getting older will be gone one day . Ted Wong is gone. Ppl need to know what JKD realize is about . I thought this was a joke video, only joke was this guy thx God Bruce lee is gone he’d be disgusted. JKD isn’t meant to be like him . It for you to find your way. Jun fan/jkd is Bruce lee style that works for him . JKD is his philosophy a guide to find what works for you . JKD is for self defense no rules not competition. He stance is wrong, he’s telegraphing and poor balance. He tense not relaxed . Jkd is for self defense to train what works for you and end the fight quickly as possible with no limitations

Last edited:
Sparring starts in 6:00 Bruce Lee’s gear white straps , good interview with Dan he’s getting older will be gone one day . Ted Wong is gone. Ppl need to know what JKD realize is about . I thought this was a joke video, only joke was this guy thx God Bruce lee is gone he’d be disgusted. JKD isn’t meant to be like him . It for you to find your way. Jun fan/jkd is Bruce lee style that works for him . JKD is his philosophy a guide to find what works for you . JKD is for self defense no rules not competition. He stance is wrong, he’s telegraphing and poor balance. He tense not relaxed

I really don't get why people say those styles are not for competition. Like come on!! Thats like saying boxing isn't for competition just because boxing can kill a man on the streets. Seriously. Just because some style has shit thats not meant for competition doesn't mean that it's the most effective style on the streets.

Sparring starts in 6:00 Bruce Lee’s gear white straps , good interview with Dan he’s getting older will be gone one day . Ted Wong is gone. Ppl need to know what JKD realize is about . I thought this was a joke video, only joke was this guy thx God Bruce lee is gone he’d be disgusted. JKD isn’t meant to be like him . It for you to find your way. Jun fan/jkd is Bruce lee style that works for him . JKD is his philosophy a guide to find what works for you . JKD is for self defense no rules not competition. He stance is wrong, he’s telegraphing and poor balance. He tense not relaxed . Jkd is for self defense to train what works for you and end the fight quickly as possible with no limitations

i used to train at a gym a very long time ago. the owner of the gym dated dan inosantos daughter all through college or something along those lines, and thus he was taught by him as well, which was his "claim to fame"

I really don't get why people say those styles are not for competition. Like come on!! Thats like saying boxing isn't for competition just because boxing can kill a man on the streets. Seriously. Just because some style has shit thats not meant for competition doesn't mean that it's the most effective style on the streets.
They may come off wrong ,I’m not say JKD techniques can’t be used . Jon Jones use oblique kick . GSP uses jab and shoot technique. Both found in JKD . But the philosophy is meant for self defense no rules . Like I said JKD is philosophy not a style. JunFan/JKD is a style Bruce Lee’s

i used to train at a gym a very long time ago. the owner of the gym dated dan inosantos daughter all through college or something along those lines, and thus he was taught by him as well, which was his "claim to fame"
. Bruce lee wouldn’t have passed JKD imo would’ve went far . tragically those that know what JKD is about are few Tao of JKD is good book.

Last edited:
. Bruce lee wouldn’t have passed JKD imo would’ve went far . tragically those that know what JKD is about are few Tao of JKD is good book.

Yeah the guy im talking about names in Daniel Sullivan, they taught or pushed JKD but his teachings under inosanto was the Kali Silat or Escrima stuff mostly. The gym is called OC Kickboxing and MMA in orange county california. It was much more of a fitness, self defense, cardio type gym rather than competition. I only trained for a few months before leaving as it was just too watered down for what I was looking for in regards to muay thai. I could be wrong but I believe Daneil Sullivan had no fight or ring experience. The gym has since been under new management, I cant remember the owners name but he has ring experience in savate at a international level. I think the new owner is running the gym better than previously.

Yeah the guy im talking about names in Daniel Sullivan, they taught or pushed JKD but his teachings under inosanto was the Kali Silat or Escrima stuff mostly. The gym is called OC Kickboxing and MMA in orange county california. It was much more of a fitness, self defense, cardio type gym rather than competition. I only trained for a few months before leaving as it was just too watered down for what I was looking for in regards to muay thai. I could be wrong but I believe Daneil Sullivan had no fight or ring experience. The gym has since been under new management, I cant remember the owners name but he has ring experience in savate at a international level. I think the new owner is running the gym better than previously.
Water down happens a lot schools want the money or looking trophies.
Look at karate and TKD. They become sport only schools. Funny was just talking to co worker he takes TKD He was telling about the techniques his teacher showing him They the work for his teacher whose 5’7. But not for him he’s 6’3. I said to him he needs to find what works for him . He said he talk to teacher about this but was told he had to follow what he’s told. I told find different school

Water down happens a lot schools want the money or looking trophies.
Look at karate and TKD. They become sport only schools. Funny was just talking to co worker he takes TKD He was telling about the techniques his teacher showing him They the work for his teacher whose 5’7. But not for him he’s 6’3. I said to him he needs to find what works for him . He said he talk to teacher about this but was told he had to follow what he’s told. I told find different school

The most fighting effective karate schools today are the ones that stayed sport competitive medal chasers...

LoL some of these videos or fights put together make no sense at all, obviously just show fights for entertainment, circus events.:rolleyes:

JKD in which I have covered quite allot of training having done Wing Chun is a street self defense system, a complete different "APPLICATION" and use of such a martial art and its core concepts.

So Kickboxing will win every time in the ring, thats for sure because of its setting.

Also I like Dan but seriously he is so rigid, visit the Philippians there are many guys that better represent Filipino Panatukan and Kubotan arts where JKD gets allot of it's techniques from.

Last edited:
The most fighting effective karate schools today are the ones that stayed sport competitive medal chasers...
I disagree , maybe if they compete in full contact karate . Most karate schools do not . Like theyve taken out grappling.

I disagree , maybe if they compete in full contact karate . Most karate schools do not . Like theyve taken out grappling.

Irrespective of agreement, the fact is that the most successful karateka in other combat sports, like Raymond Daniels or Stephen Thompson, come from backgrounds that regularly compete in competition.

Irrespective of agreement, the fact is that the most successful karateka in other combat sports, like Raymond Daniels or Stephen Thompson, come from backgrounds that regularly compete in competition.
Just to be clear I never said karate wasn’t effective. I’m speaking of the water down of schools . That train only for sport not self defense

Just to be clear I never said karate wasn’t effective. I’m speaking of the water down of schools . That train only for sport not self defense

Schools that have switched focus to 'self defense' but not sport are watered down.

Schools that competed and continue to compete maintain fighting ability

When there is no competition in martial arts they die; when there is competition in martial arts they live; can even become better.

Schools that have switched focus to 'self defense' but not sport are watered down.

When there is no competition in martial arts they die; when there is competition in martial arts they live; can even become better.
Yes, point fighting is so effective . Again unless it full contact then it water down ,if the school has removed techniques due to competition rule sets them it’s water down .

I know guys who competed in the 60s 70s and 80s who say the same thing about karate and tkd now. Alot of sports karate is watered down and missing some really effective techniques. Yes, the best karateka compete by and large, but most of them come from traditional styles. Bill Wallace, Machida, Whittaker, Urquidez all came from traditional backgrounds, they didnt just train to compete in point fighting, they learnt the whole system of karate which includes self defense.

Last edited:
Yes, point fighting is so effective . Again unless it full contact then it water down ,if the school has removed techniques due to competition rule sets them it’s water down .

Point fighting can be very effective. For example, one of the worlds most populous and respected combat sport platforms is a point fighting ruleset. That is, amateur/olympic boxing.

Point fighting can be very effective. For example, one of the worlds most populous and respected combat sport platforms is a point fighting ruleset. That is, amateur/olympic boxing.
upload_2019-2-24_19-11-13.jpeg

Back