JKD in UFC?

JKD philosophies should be a supplement to one's game not a basis for it. This is what Bruce Lee intended himself in my opinion.

Hi guys. I'm a 3rd generation, 12th rank JKD Sihing (Associate Instructor) working on my black sash. I have practiced JKD for roughly 3 years. We do not have any type of aesthetic competition or sparring tournaments. The reason for that is because everything we learn is debilitating or termination moves. If someone who entered into UFC knew JKD they would reflexively do things like break bones and kill people. One of the first things we do is to do a biulge to the eyes. We have learned how to attack and block at the same time. And we use Qi when we attack which is directed energy and very damaging.

To let you know our mindstate. I fear absolutely nothing. I look people who are 3x my size dead in their face and laugh when they try to be intimidating. It's like having the feeling of holding a gun, all the time. We know all types of things because it's a combination of Western Boxing, Wing Chun Gung Fu, and Fencing. There are a lot of traps, and we can break hold almost any situation.

In short, Bruce Lee would not have been allowed to fight in MMA. If rules were changed and he fought in MMA he would have to untrain his reflexes. We do not have any sport fighting for a reason. The original definition I learned "Jeet Kune Doe. The way of the intercepting fist, is a martial art using movements that are simple, direct, and non classical. formed from Wing Chun Gung Fu, Western Boxing, and Fencing. Following the principal of honestly expressing ourselves through realistic training for scientific street fighting and developed by Bruce Lee. Having No Way as a Way and No Limitation as a limitation."

Now contrary to popular belief , this doesn't just mean "Bruce Lee didn't train in any specific way or certain moves". It actually refers to the ability to learn a move so well that it becomes reflex. Bruce Lee said I would rather be struck by one man who practiced 1000 kicks one time, then a man who practiced one kick 1000 times. That's what we do, we repeat moves thousands of times until they become reflex. Some of these moves are things like Aikido with joint locks, and some of them are things like breaking jaws, necks, arms, legs, metatarsals, etc. We punch very very fast, which is why it's extremely difficult to block. We do that because we punch with our lead hand and it's already forward and it's such a short line to the target from there, we also snap our hip when we punch which creates a major impact.

I just wanted to give my input. Bruce Lee is a very important person in my life, and I feel like he was absolutely unbeatable. If he would have dedicated his time to MMA and learning that craft, he would have perfected it and it would be a different sport.

Thanks guys! Much love.

NoxBond!

Lineage : Bruce Lee trained Professor Gary Dill (first generation) who trained Sifu Joe Hutchings (second generation) who trained me (third generation)

The systemization of JKD goes against the entire principle of using no way as way imo. Of course there are schools though because that's easy money for guys who used to train with Bruce. The best way to live out the philosophy of JKD is to dabble in as many styles as you can and use what works for you.

Hi guys. I'm a 3rd generation, 12th rank JKD Sihing (Associate Instructor) working on my black sash. I have practiced JKD for roughly 3 years. We do not have any type of aesthetic competition or sparring tournaments. The reason for that is because everything we learn is debilitating or termination moves. If someone who entered into UFC knew JKD they would reflexively do things like break bones and kill people. One of the first things we do is to do a biulge to the eyes. We have learned how to attack and block at the same time. And we use Qi when we attack which is directed energy and very damaging.

To let you know our mindstate. I fear absolutely nothing. I look people who are 3x my size dead in their face and laugh when they try to be intimidating. It's like having the feeling of holding a gun, all the time. We know all types of things because it's a combination of Western Boxing, Wing Chun Gung Fu, and Fencing. There are a lot of traps, and we can break hold almost any situation.

In short, Bruce Lee would not have been allowed to fight in MMA. If rules were changed and he fought in MMA he would have to untrain his reflexes. We do not have any sport fighting for a reason. The original definition I learned "Jeet Kune Doe. The way of the intercepting fist, is a martial art using movements that are simple, direct, and non classical. formed from Wing Chun Gung Fu, Western Boxing, and Fencing. Following the principal of honestly expressing ourselves through realistic training for scientific street fighting and developed by Bruce Lee. Having No Way as a Way and No Limitation as a limitation."

Now contrary to popular belief , this doesn't just mean "Bruce Lee didn't train in any specific way or certain moves". It actually refers to the ability to learn a move so well that it becomes reflex. Bruce Lee said I would rather be struck by one man who practiced 1000 kicks one time, then a man who practiced one kick 1000 times. That's what we do, we repeat moves thousands of times until they become reflex. Some of these moves are things like Aikido with joint locks, and some of them are things like breaking jaws, necks, arms, legs, metatarsals, etc. We punch very very fast, which is why it's extremely difficult to block. We do that because we punch with our lead hand and it's already forward and it's such a short line to the target from there, we also snap our hip when we punch which creates a major impact.

I just wanted to give my input. Bruce Lee is a very important person in my life, and I feel like he was absolutely unbeatable. If he would have dedicated his time to MMA and learning that craft, he would have perfected it and it would be a different sport.

Thanks guys! Much love.

NoxBond!

Lineage : Bruce Lee trained Professor Gary Dill (first generation) who trained Sifu Joe Hutchings (second generation) who trained me (third generation)

Admittedly I have not read the toa of jkd in at least 20 years but what I read that you wrote is not true to JKD.

From my memory and training the toa did not really teach anything as far as certain moves. Bruce had a lot of moves he liked and used in it but the preface is to use WHAT works for you.

Learn all you can, karate, tkd whatever and use it.

Systematized JKD is basically LARPing and a complete bastardization of what Bruce Lee intended.

MMA is a lot closer to what Bruce wanted.

I'm watching Legend of Bruce Lee TV series, and I thought part of his JKD was offense and defense at the same time. You just don't see that type of thing in UFC.

I think if Bruce Lee lived longer, he'd eventually become a wrestler with BJJ and would have loved MMA.

People complicate JKD. JKD is whatever Bruce was doing up until he died. He was very meticulous with his notes, even his daily training regiment which anyone can look up. JKD is about simplicity, directness, and training all ranges of fighting. There are specific techniques that Bruce favored like the biu jee(eye gauge jab), the lead leg side kick to the knee(Jon Jones), and vertical fist jabs(Jack Dempsey).

Most people dont even know Bruce Lee trained Judo at the Seattle Dojo for a brief time as well as trained Judo with his close friends and students who were black belts(Jesse Glover). He also trained Jujitsu with Wally Jay and Judo with Gene Lebell. He even said a decent high school wrestler would beat a karate black belt in a real fight.

Bruce isn't the "father of MMA" and I dont concern myself with "how would he or JKD do in MMA?". Just look at how and what he trained at the time because it was rare, ahead of his time, and he was very dedicated.

People complicate JKD. JKD is whatever Bruce was doing up until he died. He was very meticulous with his notes, even his daily training regiment which anyone can look up. JKD is about simplicity, directness, and training all ranges of fighting. There are specific techniques that Bruce favored like the biu jee(eye gauge jab), the lead leg side kick to the knee(Jon Jones), and vertical fist jabs(Jack Dempsey).

Most people dont even know Bruce Lee trained Judo at the Seattle Dojo for a brief time as well as trained Judo with his close friends and students who were black belts(Jesse Glover). He also trained Jujitsu with Wally Jay and Judo with Gene Lebell. He even said a decent high school wrestler would beat a karate black belt in a real fight.

Bruce isn't the "father of MMA" and I dont concern myself with "how would he or JKD do in MMA?". Just look at how and what he trained at the time because it was rare, ahead of his time, and he was very dedicated.

The Legend of Bruce Lee TV series had him beat Bob Wall and Chuck Norris in separate karate tourneys. Was that true?

The systemization of JKD goes against the entire principle of using no way as way imo. Of course there are schools though because that's easy money for guys who used to train with Bruce. The best way to live out the philosophy of JKD is to dabble in as many styles as you can and use what works for you.

Exactly..guys like this seem to not get the REAL POINT about Bruce Lee. He was more focused on the individual, not the style. This guy seems to just parrot a bunch of things while missing the point. To say, "JKD couldn't work in MMA because too deadly" is absolute nonsense.

I trained at Bruce Lee's first school in Seattle for a couple years. Bruce Lee entrusted his school to my teacher when he left for California. I dont say IM a "JKD" guy. I just say I enjoy martial arts. I spar my MMA friends when they have training camps and I do more than hold my own. Now Im sparring and training with a boxer training for a masters division boxing tournament. I also met some old Wing Chun guy that I do chi sao with for fun. The point is, I can train with anyone and do well, even MMA. This is a true reflection of "being like water". I can be a boxer, I can be an MMA guy, I can roll(BJJ), I can do chi sao(kung fu). If you can't do MMA its because your boxing sucks or you have no ground game. MMA is not the streets but its the highest level of testing your fighting ability.

The Legend of Bruce Lee TV series had him beat Bob Wall and Chuck Norris in separate karate tourneys. Was that true?
fuck no. The Bruce Lee movies and tv series are an embarrassment because if they did a real accurate movie about Bruce Lee it would still be impressive. Bob Wall and Chuck Norris were world champs and were training partners and friends of Bruce Lee. They did admire Bruces skill and insight and that is why they introduced Joe Lewis(karate) to Bruce.

Systematized JKD is basically LARPing and a complete bastardization of what Bruce Lee intended.

MMA is a lot closer to what Bruce wanted.
I agree. In my experience, Ive met tons of people who are just Bruce Lee nerds who follow him like its a religion, which is against what he wanted. I think the main thing is most people who train JKD dont take it even half as serious as Bruce Lee did. Bruce was extremely deep into his training and philosophy and the evidence is in his hand written daily training logs.

As said in here JKD is a philosophy. Ben Saunders lists his style as JKD.

With that said for his style a lot of Bruce Let's moves wouldn't be legal in MMA. Didn't he believe in taking out opponents as quick as possible? He would strike the groin or punch the Adams apple

Thanks guys! Much love.

NoxBond!

Thanks for the input mate. Very interesting and informative read.

Back