[JJ vs Gus] How was the impact of this fight in Sweden?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Furiosozen, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Furiosozen

Furiosozen Blue Belt

I'd like to know how was the repercussion in terms of media coverage pre and post fight, TV ratings and this kind of stuff. Any swedish can give us any insights of this subject? Just out of curiosity...

2. Charlie Sheen

Charlie Sheen Invisible Belt

Good topic.
    Any Swedish sherdogger to tell us?

3. ovbious

ovbious Brown Belt

Also curious.

4. BlastoiseDad

BlastoiseDad Al-hamdullilah

Good

I can confirm, I am Sweden

5. King909

King909 Brown Belt

Bor de bor de bor da.

6. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

iamsweden.jpg

7. Thisisme2

Thisisme2 Brown Belt

Was there any mainstream media coverage?? Before and after?

8. kevo1295

kevo1295 Brown Belt

I bet most of europe was angry

9. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

10. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Not that much happened. It's a small sport here. Hardly gets any mainstream media coverage. There was a bit of press before the fight, but still only a few snippets in sports news here and there. It did get a mention in the biggest newspaper in sweden, so I guess the needle did move a tiny bit.

11. Dared

Dared White Belt

Well at least mainstream media like the biggest newspapers and swedish national tv have covered it. Post fight they showed ~5 min of interviewing the mauler and some sparring at Alliance on the biggest sport news show (on the n1 channel). Also road to the belt from kimura etc. was available on the biggest news webpage (aftonbladet). Post fight were some articles in the biggest mainstream news sites with reviews from the fight and a headline that Zlatan twittered his support for the mauler.

It's no major coverage in comparison to some sports, but the sport is definitely more legit than prior to the UFC Sweden events. I for instance went to dinner with some friends of my girlfriend prior to the fight and all the guys knew about the Mauler and had seen UFC on tv.

Edit: If you're not into the sport the mainstream coverage easily gets shadowed by e.g. the soccer frienzy, and you probably would easily have missed it. You'd have to watch/read sports news and have some timing to catch it...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  12. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

Yeah mainstream media coverage was the biggest ever for MMA. Interviews after the fight. Major newspapers even had panel web tv shows about the fight. I am guessing ppv sales broke record here. Also major activity on all MMA media outlets of course.

Gus is about as big here now as Jon Jones is in the states I'd reckon, i.e. the guy with the biggest chance of crossing over and being a major mainstream star (but like Jones not there yet). We have Reza who has notoriety, and another guy who's basically a TV show host but tranes bro (used to fight and all around cool dude), and they have some mainstream presence for various reasons, but Gus is by far the most famous MMA fighter here right now.

People who don't follow MMA at all knew about the fight and saw it. He got interviewed by newspapers that have refused to report on MMA in the past.

Gus will probably have to go on dancing with the stars or some dumb shit to break the last barriers down.

13. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Yeah, I doubt he is as big, but I see what you mean. Where did you see the panel show?

14. Dared

Dared White Belt

I think that kimura.se's regular panel show also airs on aftonbladet's sport site. They worked out some kind of deal...

15. Oogie Sharp

Oogie Sharp Red Belt

Lol...thats about the same as when gsp fights here.

16. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

Double-checked, it was Aftonbladet running Kimura.se's show, so I misrepresented somewhat. But they platformed it.

Now biggest arena in Sweden is saying they want the rematch there (60-65000 tickets, and I think they'd fill it). But it's an outdoor so would have to be a summer deal I reckon.

17. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Oh, ok aftonbladet. I don't really count that as a major news outlet, it's a tabloid. ;)
    I haven't ever seen anything mma related there on the "front page" though, or even in the sports section without searching. But then I don't read it if I can avoid it.

18. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Yeah, it's unlikely if that were the case. The UFC hate outdoor arenas (I think the last one they did was Abu Dhabi and the chance for rain there is virtually nil ;)), but Friends arena has a closeable roof, doesn't it?
    Anyway, it's probably going to be in Vegas.

19. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

Day of the fight had massive reporting there (by MMA standards). It's a shitty rag but it has a lot of readers, especially online, and their sports reporting is no more idiotic than anybody else's...

20. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

Might have. My team plays the other side of town, I'm the kid from the other side of the tracks ;).

Also I might be outing myself as ignorant of Swedish MMA here, but isn't there still a three round limit in effect here?