JJ Machado

lonewolf_454

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is probably well covered, but I just watched some of the older ADCC DVD's... and never having seen JJ roll...

...I am absolutely amazed. Obviously because he overcame the physical hinderance, but jesus the guy pretty much submitted everyone he faced. And personally I think his sweeps were smoother than Royler's.

Ok I'm off to train with renewed vigor....

Resendiz may be able to contribute more to this thread, training under JJ Machado and all.

I think he's tapped JJ a couple of times too.

yea i like that he is a finisher...thats my stlye

jj has that style that great to watch, the constant moving kind of match one move rolls into 3 other moves, the machados aRe known for that , ive seen rigan and for a big guy hes fluid as 120 pounder. jj has his double atack subs, when one doesnt work he immediealty tries another , always has a back up. not alot of guys are like that

His style of BJJ is more suited to No-Gi ADCC and submission wrestling type matches due to the fact he has a physical disability. When he was born the fingers on his left hand were not yet fully developed, meaning he couldn't take advantage of the benefits gripping a gi would give in BJJ competition. So his game has never been based on wearing a gi. He had to adapt his game in other ways, and that gave him an advantage when everyone began competing without the gi. He didn't have to unlearn the habits many others did. He's a great teacher with a great mind for technique.

i like his style, jumping into butterfly hooks, and his sweeps look effortless. i saw him sweep TK and it looked like TK had just rolled over himself. beautiful.

Where does JJ teach? i train under Rigan in N. Redondo/Lawndale (his new place) and i know Roger teaches there (sometimes) as well.
-Jon

Yea, JJ is a legend and a real ambassador for the sport. He had an artile in Grappling Mag a while back that was really inspirational.

JJ along with Royler is the definition of JJ, IMO. They just flow...

Yeah that sweep against TK is what made me sit up. I've watched it a bunch of times, and I keep thinking, did TK just roll over?

Never rolled or learned from him but I got his videos something called Heart of a Lion? something like that, got his book and read about him in magazines. He is awesome and one day hope to train with him and roll with him and get seriously tapped. Memory for a lifetime. You guys that train with him are LUCKY!

IMO, JJ is one of the most technical fighters in the planet

the only two i know that Rigan teaches at is Pasadena and Torrance. ever since the one in Torrance moved to N. Redondo he's been there teaching the night classes and organizing the place. I know nothing of any Machado Academies in Pedro.
-Jon

Back