Jiu-Jitsu vs Vale tudo

Cube Xtreme

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I saw a lot of berimbolos and stuff like that now in the Worlds Jiu-Jitsu 2014 and yes it works in Sport Jiu-Jitsu.

But wouldnt you prefer to Jiu-Jitsu to be stay closer to self defense and moves to work in the street?

Just as Kron for example thta he sticks to basics and he will try to proove it now also stepping into MMA.

What do you think?
I much more prefer the real old school Rickson Jiu-Jitsu over the sport Jiu-Jitsu!

Hi Guys

I saw a lot of berimbolos and stuff like that now in the Worlds Jiu-Jitsu 2014 and yes it works in Sport Jiu-Jitsu.

But wouldnt you prefer to Jiu-Jitsu to be stay closer to self defense and moves to work in the street?

Just as Kron for example thta he sticks to basics and he will try to proove it now also stepping into MMA.

What do you think?
I much more prefer the real old school Rickson Jiu-Jitsu over the sport Jiu-Jitsu!

No, berimbolos and stuff like that looks awesome and is way more entertaining.

you are probably going to get some angry responses. but not from me as I like these discussions!

but my opinion is I agree with you! I think some sports techniques are silly and I absolutely hate it in class when a technique is being demonstrated and the coach says, this will get you points in IBJJF competitions, erm bro I don't care about that, I want to be able to defend my self when I accidentally knock a 260 pounders pint over in as bar and he trys to kill me

Thats not the instructors fault or anything its just my take on it, he does a good balance of MMA and sport based techniques, while I want to compete in sport, I will make no changes to my style, I will assume the guy can hit me, which is what I do in class

@ Bret, what od you mean try harder than that?

@ Patrick ..yes i agree they are fun to watch and interesting...is like a flow, the only thing again is that indeed is like watching a sport purely! So really SPORT wise!

but as Snakeybizz says, i dont want to hear about points so much, as much as defend my self from a stupid aggressive idiot in the streets that is much heavier and stronger than me.

and again, there is no right or wrong here i think..so is just an opinion and wanted to get some more views.
I hope Snakeybizz you are wrong and dont get many angry replies!! haha i dont see the reason why too..but anyway...is 2014 ! ;)

@ Bret, what od you mean try harder than that?

@ Patrick ..yes i agree they are fun to watch and interesting...is like a flow, the only thing again is that indeed is like watching a sport purely! So really SPORT wise!

but as Snakeybizz says, i dont want to hear about points so much, as much as defend my self from a stupid aggressive idiot in the streets that is much heavier and stronger than me.

and again, there is no right or wrong here i think..so is just an opinion and wanted to get some more views.
I hope Snakeybizz you are wrong and dont get many angry replies!! haha i dont see the reason why too..but anyway...is 2014 ! ;)

This is the internet bro, you can't have an opinion did you forget :icon_lol:

and I agree with you there is no right or wrong, I respect the hell out of pure sport jiu jitsu players and I love to watch it, Sport JJ is not what got me into grappling though, the UFC got me into grappling

Sport JJ does not leave you completely defencelessness in a street fight like some people think, they are going to beat down 90% of the population regardless, its only when they go against a grappler who can strike will they have problems

For a limited time, Gracie University is selling Helio Filters for the low price of $249.99. These were personally designed by the Grandmaster himself and only recently discovered in an attic by Ryron and Rener. All you have to do is strap one on before you train and then all of those fake, sport-based "Brazilian" Jiu Jitsu techniques will be filtered out before they make it to your brain, allowing only the pure "Gracie" Jiu Jitsu to enter. It's a great deal, I'd look into it if I were you.

I prefer the vale tudo-ish side of it (my teacher would cast me out if I didn't :D ), but funky sport stuff is fun too.

It's been talked about many many times before, but still I do feel that "sport" and "gracie" jiu jitsu are becoming more and more separate things... I wish we rolled with punches, and started from standing against a striking oponent with the objective of taking him down and submit him... Of course, I can do that in MMA, and I do, but it's just not the same thing, plus it bothers me to see how bjj is losing his effectivness... Of course a sport guy would destroy an untrained one, but he would do so even better if he trained more takedowns against a striking oponent, etc... I'm starting to wish that we would separate both styles with diferent names, like combat bjj and sport bjj or something, don't Sambo guys do something like that?.... I don't know... It's just my opinion. Keep in mind that I do like to compete, it's just that there are so many parts of bjj that are being neglected that it's just not the same thing that caught my atention in the first place...

Why not go to mma? Finding old school jiu-jitsu would be pretty rare nowadays

@ RTD1 r u paied by Gracie University to spam or... you thought this was an appropriate thread to post that relevant ..post!?! haha

..|('")|
./ \X/ \
|...V...|
|...'|...|
Beaker

That's amazing.

I'll bite.

I like both. Although I will say that a lot of stuff that guys say wouldn't work in MMA (like deep half) have worked multiple times in the UFC already. But either way, I prefer both. I just understand that each style has its own relevant application.

Kron is not as good at sport as the sport guys, and not as good at fighting as MMA guys. If you want to be a good fighter, train MMA. If you want to compete in sport BJJ, train sport BJJ. It's a preference not a value judgement.

I like both SD and Sport aspects. They are very different things, with a very different mindset. Sure, there may be some carryover, but a street fight is definitely not a BJJ tournament or an MMA fight. My school has dedicated classes for streetfight SD and competition training. I just keep them conceptually separate in my mind and enjoy both types of training.

Back