Jiu Jitsu Technique Books

squiz1983

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good books to help with Jiu Jitsu training/technique?
I have a pretty busy schedule and miss quite a few sessions with my instructor but would like to carry on learning new techniques on my own.
Anyone know of any books that give a pretty complete picture of techniques? Perhaps some of you have learned techniques from books before starting full-on training?

Thanks in advance:

Usually anything put out by Victory Belt is top notch.

Use books as a supplement. If you spend too much time trying stuff from books rather than what your instructor is teaching you, that's not a good thing. When I buy a book, I end up taking nothing or maybe one thing from it and putting it in my game. It's really just to keep your mind on BJJ when you are not in class.

Jiu-Jitsu University is pretty comprehensive. I use it go over things I learned after class that I didn't quite get. Good pictures and instructions explaining little details. On the other hand, it's true, it's harder to retain what you learn from a book. So don't rely solely on books, use it as a supplement.

51JfOqkssGL._SL500_.jpg

Ju_jitsu_mastering_book.jpg

I use both these books. The top one is more technique and the bottom more strategy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Might check out a couple of these suggestions.

Cheers!:icon_lol:

Andre galvao's book comes out in august. It looks like it's going to include a lot of the drills that he uses.

I hear the roy dean stuff is good too

Back