Jiu Jitsu Scoring - Your Interpretation

From my short competition history (1 tourney) I think you're lucky enough if you get a ref thats actually paying attention to your match.

If you begin a takedown on your opponent and he jumps guard in the middle of it, you should still receive takedown points.

You should also receive takedown points for countering his takedown and ending up on top.

I think the points are only negated for guard pulling when one party clearly initiates a guard pull to the bottom position with no corresponding attack from the other party. If there is no clear independent guard pull action, then the points will be awarded based on who secures the top position when the scramble is finished.

Thanks Balto.

There is a 3 second rule, right? Knee on belly or controlling form side needs to be maintained for 3 seconds?

Thanks Balto.

There is a 3 second rule, right? Knee on belly or controlling form side needs to be maintained for 3 seconds?

Usually the ref will count out three seconds before awarding points for a position.

So the answer is yes.

jumping guard can be tricky too- if i start a take down, and get the other person off balance a little, and in that process they 'jump' guard, i should still get takedown points, correct? that is my opinion at least. this was not always the case, however. just based on the ref's opinion of the rules.

Q I have competed in a judo newaza comp, it didn't award points for sweeps or passes, it was kinda arbitary when it came down to the descision IMO, if no sub or pin had been scored
the ref was to give the victory to the most active, well the awarding throut the comp was very iffy , sometimes guardpassing an reversals were the key to get the active nod, sometimes sub atempts gave the nod

Yeah, actually I don't know what I was thinking. Sounds quite boring and alot more controversy would come in. It was a late nite.:D

i was at a tourney this weekend, rules followed were supposed to be IBJJF rules. my first tourney as a blue belt.... it was a somewhat eye opening experience.

here are several position examples, tell me how YOU think they should have been called.

1) Fighter A is mounted on Fighter B. Fighter B bucks and reverses the position, so now Fighter B is in Fighter A's guard. Should any points be awarded?

2) Fighter A is in side control on Fighter B. Fighter B rolls Fighter A, switching the position, so that now Fighter B is in side control on Fighter A. What points should be awarded?

3) Fighter A has Fighter B's back, both hooks in. While struggling, Fighter B gets one of the hooks out, but cannot completely escape. About 5 seconds later, Fighter A gets the lost hook back in. Should you award any points?

4) Fighter A is in half guard, and while trying to switch from halfguard to sidecontrol or mount (during that scramble) Fighter B reverses the position and winds up on top, either in guard, halfguard or side control. Should any points be awarded?

these are all the situations i could think of off the top of my head tonight. so confusing and frustrating, i just didnt know what to think. i have never seen the bias that is given to members of certain gyms or to brazillians, but wow, it was all there in flying colors. having all of the refs also be the coaches of half the guys competing.... it is just such a huge conflict of interest, it made me sick.

and there is nothing you can do about it- if you complain, you just look like an asshole. you have to go in with the mindset of 'points dont even matter, if you dont convincingly finish this guy you are not going to win'.

anyway, if i could get some feedback, that would be awesome. thanks.

the way jiujitsu rules are set up, everyone has given the right answer. the way i think they should be, points would be given in all those situations. i think jiujitsu points should be set up like this.

3 points for attaining and maintaining dominant position (no matter how you get it, screw that 'pass the guard' crap. also, you dont get 3 points for side control, then knee on belly, then mount, etc.)

2 points for takedown.

2 points for reversal (bottom to top, no matter the position, backmount being a possible exception)

1 point for escaping a dominant position (getting to half guard or guard).

points stack for reversals and takedowns if the bottom player attains and maintains dominant position.

jiujitsu points are retarded in my opinion. they make no sense in that they only reward players who are on top or sweep from guard. escapes and side control reversals mean nothing, which is dumb.

lets look at a few scenarios:

player 1 takes down player 2 into guard (2pts). player 2 scissor sweeps player 1 (1pt) and gets mount (3 pts). player 2 is now ahead, even though he would have been tied under the old rules.

player 1 takes down player 2 into side control (5 pts). player 2 reverses player 1 and keeps side control (5 pts). they are now tied even though it would have been 2-0 under the old rules.

player 1 takes down player 2 into side control (5 pts). player two escapes to half guard (1 pt). player 2 sweeps player 1 into half guard (2 pts). player 2 is losing 5-3 and needs to pass guard to take the lead (5-6).

i was at a tourney this weekend, rules followed were supposed to be IBJJF rules. my first tourney as a blue belt.... it was a somewhat eye opening experience.

here are several position examples, tell me how YOU think they should have been called.

1) Fighter A is mounted on Fighter B. Fighter B bucks and reverses the position, so now Fighter B is in Fighter A's guard. Should any points be awarded?

2) Fighter A is in side control on Fighter B. Fighter B rolls Fighter A, switching the position, so that now Fighter B is in side control on Fighter A. What points should be awarded?

3) Fighter A has Fighter B's back, both hooks in. While struggling, Fighter B gets one of the hooks out, but cannot completely escape. About 5 seconds later, Fighter A gets the lost hook back in. Should you award any points?

4) Fighter A is in half guard, and while trying to switch from halfguard to sidecontrol or mount (during that scramble) Fighter B reverses the position and winds up on top, either in guard, halfguard or side control. Should any points be awarded?

these are all the situations i could think of off the top of my head tonight. so confusing and frustrating, i just didnt know what to think. i have never seen the bias that is given to members of certain gyms or to brazillians, but wow, it was all there in flying colors. having all of the refs also be the coaches of half the guys competing.... it is just such a huge conflict of interest, it made me sick.

and there is nothing you can do about it- if you complain, you just look like an asshole. you have to go in with the mindset of 'points dont even matter, if you dont convincingly finish this guy you are not going to win'.

anyway, if i could get some feedback, that would be awesome. thanks.

1- 0 points
2-0 points
3- 4 points if he lost the hook regains it and shows control
4 - 2 points for the sweep

problem is theres just to many rules in bjj

jumping guard can be tricky too- if i start a take down, and get the other person off balance a little, and in that process they 'jump' guard, i should still get takedown points, correct? that is my opinion at least. this was not always the case, however. just based on the ref's opinion of the rules.

The last few tournaments I've been to, they specifically stated in the rules meetings that if you jump guard while your opponent is trying to take you down, they will get points for taking you down.

The last few tournaments I've been to, they specifically stated in the rules meetings that if you jump guard while your opponent is trying to take you down, they will get points for taking you down.

i know that stuff is stated, it just needs to get consistently followed.

Back