Jiu Jitsu Reigns again!!!

Hypothetically speaking; if god himself, gave me the choice(after watching lasts nights fight), to be good at wrestling or jiu-jitsu; i am sorry, but i would pick wrestling.

Even after watching Maia sub Chael within minutes of the opening round? Your picking the best wrestler in the division so at the very lesat pick one of the best BJJ artist in the division.

Triangles are Hail mary's? Man, you wouldn't BELIEVE how many hail mary's I grapple with. And to think, I thought all those set ups and finishes I learned were actual techniques but according to you..I'm just throwing my legs up there willie-nillie and hoping my legs accidentally wrap around something the right way. :redface:

Triangles are not hail marys.

Triangles in the last 1:30 of your fight that you are losing terribly....kinda hail maryish....just saying.

i agree, it was hail mary because anderson tried to triangle him a few times before being successful at it, chael was defending the subs well and then got tired or lazy or something

Or the opportunity presented itself.

I'm not saying it was a desperation move....it was a solid effort, but he got very fortunate for Sonnen to "lose his mind" with just 1:30 left.

The only thing that makes people say this was "luck" or a "Hail Mary" was because of when it happened. If this had happened in the third/fourth round or below we wouldn't even be having this conversation and everybody would be saying "Sonnen always gets subbed, whats the point in a rematch?".

he def capitalized on a mistake of chaels, anyone have a gif of the triangle with the setup, i kinda forgot how it happened, id like to see what chael was doing that led to him getting triangled, iirc chael wasnt punching when it happened, he was resting or something, ne1 remember what chael did technically wrong?

He allowed wrist control for the entire fight and likely had been lulled into passivity on that issue by Silva's not using it for anything until the best moment.

Hell yea!

Also, I love on the HW forum how when Big Nog gets beat up by Cro Cop and Sapp and pulls out the submission, it's heart and technique. When Silva does it, he got lucky and Sonnen is still the better fighter. Also, this has to be the only place on the internet where a submission loss from Fedor in the 1st round is better than a submission win by Silva in the 5th round.

MMA has crazy ass fans. LOL

The difference is that Fedor chose to jump into Werdum's guard, Silva was getting mauled by Sonnen all the fight, he did not chose to take the fight to the ground, Sonnen completely negated Anderson and had it at his whim.

To put in in blunt

If there was a Fedor vs Werdum and Silva vs Sonnen 2 rematch tomorrow, and you had 1000 dollars and had to bet on one of those.

Which one would you bet for?

god damnit, there is no such thing as "best style"

do most bjj guys train 90% on the ground? YES

does that make them better than sambo guys?

submission wrestlers?

Hell no, the techniques are all the same. as long as you get a good instructor the sport is whatever the fuck you want to call it

This should end the topic

BJJ is a great art, but it has its flaws and benefits due to its nature.

Triangles, armbars and chokes were already technically perfected before BJJ, but BJJ brought the attention of training submissions a lot. This however led to less emphasis in top control and takedowns, similar thing happened to Judo where over emphasis on throws let to a less emphasis on the ground.

Me, im a judo guy who had a great luck to train under great newaza teacher, i don't think "Jud0 iz t3h b3sT" because i know that the instructor is that matters. As i have trained under many judo coaches with little newaza. This gave me a great base to learn BJJ.

When i started BJJ i had great top control, good pins, good defense from guard and was capable of doing a cross armbar from any position, but my submission game was bad, i started picking submissions while retaining my good judo newaza, and this allowed me to be on the top of the class, i managed to even submit some of the higher belts and defend my own against blackbelts who owned my peers.

The point is

Train as many things as you can and then develop your own personal style, call it judo, sambo, catch, folkstyle or BJJ, in the end your skill is what matters, not the skill of someone who trains the same as you do.

Back