Jiu Jitsu Reigns again!!!

ugh, Lets back up.

Can we put in in context. You cannot tell me Silva's plan was to be controlled an entire fight, absorb nearly 300 strikes in order to have a chance to submit Sonnen.

Silva did what he had to do and won the fight, but as I said in the post above this one..had he not won, he would have lost that fight...LOL..

:)

man... no disrespect, but what kind of "if I had a million dollars, I'd be a millionaire" kind of "logic" are you using here? If I was born with a vagina, I'd be a woman... so on and so forth...

fact of the matter is... AS won the fight... a freakin triangle choke is not a "hail mary". that is just INSANE! did the fight go how silva wanted it too... no, of course not (accept for the fact that silva reached his goal).

*NEWSFLASH* the fight didn't go Sonnen's way... Sonnen's way was "I will beat Anderson Silva". HE DID NOT! He got CHOKED OUT! and he QUIT!

And Anderson still won. This is what so many people love about BJJ is the fact that it doesn't matter how bad it looks, the fact is that wrestling controls where the fight goes, that's it. BJJ or submission wrestling ends fight on the ground. I would pick BJJ over wrestling 100% of the time.

1) What if there is no time limit?

2) What if there is no UFC President threatening to fire the other fighter if he doesn't stop clowning fighters & to start being aggressive?

God forbid the wrestler not be able to take his opponent down or if the wrestler gets taken down. Now you have a fighter that isn't a threat in either area. Like I said, I would pick BJJ 100% of the time.

What if i bring a gun to the ring and blow everybody's brains out? You can "what if" all you want; at the end of the day, the better fighter will win.

Hypothetically speaking; if god himself, gave me the choice(after watching lasts nights fight), to be good at wrestling or jiu-jitsu; i am sorry, but i would pick wrestling. I rather dominate fights, instead of praying for hail mary's. All credit to Anderson, but he was getting bullied and tossed around by a collegiate wrestler for almost the entire five rounds.

Well to be fair, then i would be going home with some bruises on my head and you would be going home with a broken arm and whatever else i decided to do to you once you were choked unconcious and lying on the ground asleep with a broken arm.:icon_neut

man... no disrespect, but what kind of "if I had a million dollars, I'd be a millionaire" kind of "logic" are you using here? If I was born with a vagina, I'd be a woman... so on and so forth...

fact of the matter is... AS won the fight... a freakin triangle choke is not a "hail mary". that is just INSANE! did the fight go how silva wanted it too... no, of course not (accept for the fact that silva reached his goal).

*NEWSFLASH* the fight didn't go Sonnen's way... Sonnen's way was "I will beat Anderson Silva". HE DID NOT! He got CHOKED OUT! and he QUIT!

I guess you have to read the posts leading to my post to understand the context.

1st yes Sonnen tapped and lost, most people on this thread are concerned about the manner in which it played out and in my opinion "reflecting" this performance onto themselves.

What I am saying is I can understand both sides of the argument.

I understand the side that says "BJJ should not be about being held down, taken down at will, and getting pummeled on for 20 minutes."

and I understand the side that also says "He got the submission and won the fight."

There were other fights that went in a similar fashion but the outcomes were different last night. It just so happens Sonnes loss F'd up the sweep!

If that's jiu jitsu, I don't want any part of it. Getting your face smashed in for 23 minutes is not viable whether you end up in the winning circle or not.

Wait, who got his face smashed in?

GYI0061257633.jpg

^ I was gonna say that too. Sonnen looked WAY worse for wear at the post fight interview.

BTW, Knox, i too understand both sides of the argument. And personally, i dont like the willingness(for lack of a better word) of Jiu Jitsu guys to just get taken down, and beat on for 20 mins just to tire the guy out, and hope to find a way to win the fight.

I wrestled long before starting Jiu Jitsu. And if i had to call myself something, it would be a Jiu Jitsu Player, but my style and goals are similar of that of a guy like Sonnen, yet different in that i have an open mindset.

Get the take down, and smash the guys for a while in his guard. Then pass the guard, get to the most dominate position, and FINISH the fight with strikes or submission.

Thats the problem with both styles in MMA right now in my opinion.

Wrestlers seem content with just getting the takedown, and laying there, and just doing enough to win the fight, and not take the risk of finishing.

BJJ guys seem content with getting taken down over and over, and getting smashed with offering little to no offense strikes from the bottom, or at least not chaining attacks.

In my opinion, MMA is an aggressive sport. And to win in an aggressive sport, you need to be aggressive.

Chael passed guard a few times, and went right back into his safe zone instead of looking for a finish. This is probably due to his, "BJJ is gay, i dont train it" mindset.

And Silva, well, that guy's wrestling sucks. And he didnt look like he was comfortable using more of his jiu jitsu, for whatever reason.

I dont know, i just think that until we see the 3rd and 4th generation MMA fighters, who do everything, and do everything well, we will continue to have these debates about Wrestling versus Jiu Jitsu.

Last edited:
Wait, who got his face smashed in?

GYI0061257633.jpg

I don't know why people are saying that Anderson got beat up for 4 rounds. Most of the punches Sonnen through either were little rabbit hammer punches or they missed or deflected. Yeah Sonnen landed some good strikes and even an elbow a few times. However to say Anderson was getting beat up for 4 rounds is not correct. I mean Sonnen was getting elbowed from the top guard and even got cut. All you have to do is compare the faces and you can tell who had the most effective strikes.

The rib issue could have been a key play in why Anderson could not do more from the guard. I have had broke my thumbs, torn my meniscus several times and a broke several toes and fractured rib. Out of all those injuries the fractured rib was the most painful. So trying to fight with an injured rib is a bitch.

Are you being serious? Did you watch the fight?

Standing or on the ground, Silva was being thumped.

Watch the fight in slow motion......look at each punch and see how effective they were. Anderson was moving his head a lot not taking the full brunt of the force.

All you have to do is compare the faces and you can tell who had the most effective strikes.

Certian fighters are more prone to cuts and bruising than others, no matter what they will always 'look' worse.

Anderson got dropped, Chael didnt...who had the effective strikes?

And Silva, well, that guy's wrestling sucks. And he didnt look like he was comfortable using more of his jiu jitsu, for whatever reason.

Didn't he outwrestle Nate Marquart in there fight, hitting some nice switches on him? Im trying to remember but i think he did.

Chael's wrestling is just way way better than most.

Watch the fight in slow motion......look at each punch and see how effective they were. Anderson was moving his head a lot not taking the full brunt of the force.

Slow motion my ass! Sorry friend, anyone who says Silva wasn't getting his ass kicked for 23 minutes is delusional!!!! Yeah Anderson got some great shots in and one very effective short elbow for sure, but he ate something like 300 punches in that fight. Hard or light that ain't fun!

He got out struck standing and on the ground.:icon_neut

I am trying to find a source but I was told that Silva took over 280 strikes in that fight...not sure how accurate that was.

they also told me 8 were catagorized as "power" punches

EDIT: IN REPLY TO Title fight.

^ I dont think Silva outwrestled Nate back in 2006.

He did hit a nice switch and took Nate down once IIRC, but a lot of the time when he got Nate to the ground, it was set up with some of the most beautiful striking ive ever seen.

Also, it might just be me, but Silva looked more powerful in terms of strength in that fight. Idk, maybe im just imagining it.

He did hit a nice switch and took Nate down once IIRC, but a lot of the time when he got Nate to the ground, it was set up with some of the most beautiful striking ive ever seen.

Also, it might just be me, but Silva looked more powerful in terms of strength in that fight. Idk, maybe im just imagining it.

Yeah, i think im just remembering that one switch he hit because it was shocking to see him do it. '

I relaly believe that Anderson had a pretty bad rib injury coming into this fight and that is why he wasn't stronger and more quick or active on the ground.

I feel the same way.

I relaly believe that Anderson had a pretty bad rib injury coming into this fight and that is why he wasn't stronger and more quick or active on the ground.

That's my thoughts. I had a rib injury once and even if it's not serious, you really can't do anything off your back. At all. Silva had a lot of openings, and I'm sure he's skilled enough to have seen them. I think if he was healthy he would have been a lot more active from his back.

Notice how all his movement off his back was grabbing with the arms, and pushing with the legs. No core activity, no hip movement at all. He never sat up. I think he had a legit issue with his ribs, and I think a rematch would go differently.

Back