Jiu Jitsu Reigns again!!!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by korleone1911, Aug 8, 2010.

1. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

Anderson Silva again displays the fact that BJJ is definitely the best style on the planet and its use is the difference maker in any fight no matter how the fight is going!

2. codyweaver

codyweaver White Belt

To bad we cant say the same for Almeida.

3. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

yeah... i know. that kinda sucked. i think he had a broken jaw

4. codyweaver

codyweaver White Belt

Dos Anjos, also. I was really hoping to see a submission from him. The fact that Almeida got rocked and subbed really shocked me. Coming from Hughes, at least.

5. Dr Boondigga

Dr Boondigga Yellow Belt

Sakuraba > Jiu Jitsu

6. xxl85

xxl85 White Belt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jiu Jitsu to the rescue..... again.

7. Leon

Leon Brown Belt

BJJ can definetily save your ass in a "no way out" situation.

Look at Big Nog, Werdum-Fedor now Silva-Sonnen...

8. FIGHT FAN

FIGHT FAN Brown Belt

Hypothetically speaking; if god himself, gave me the choice(after watching lasts nights fight), to be good at wrestling or jiu-jitsu; i am sorry, but i would pick wrestling. I rather dominate fights, instead of praying for hail mary's. All credit to Anderson, but he was getting bullied and tossed around by a collegiate wrestler for almost the entire five rounds.

9. Rawex

Rawex -

Then comes along a striker with tdd? (crocop/chuck so on)

10. MagicWand

MagicWand Purple Belt

the only person thinking logically in this thread. jiu jitsu is great and very important but wrestling is a better base art.

11. Pahlavan**

Pahlavan** White Belt

**SPOILER**The silva vs sonen was one of the best fights Ive seen on UFC. Silva was losing most of the fight (getting taken down and pounded) then that triangle came out of nowhere for the win. I can't even count how many times Ive been caught in that same triangle arm bar move by our hardcore black belts. The Hughes fight was good. I've never seen a choke from that position before. Other than that, I think its dumb to compare jiu jitsu vs wrestling.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  12. El Gato

El Gato Green Belt

Silva looked like crap ! It was a Hail Mary that saved him .

13. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Hell yea!

Also, I love on the HW forum how when Big Nog gets beat up by Cro Cop and Sapp and pulls out the submission, it's heart and technique. When Silva does it, he got lucky and Sonnen is still the better fighter. Also, this has to be the only place on the internet where a submission loss from Fedor in the 1st round is better than a submission win by Silva in the 5th round.

MMA has crazy ass fans. LOL

14. Pahlavan**

Pahlavan** White Belt

That because most of the people on the internet/youtube think they are world champions.

15. TomWalton

TomWalton Amateur Fighter

It was nice to see his jiu jitsu earn him a win after being dominated for the earlier four rounds. And it was coincidentally the same submission that felled Fedor.

16. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

See here is the thing, this board is filled with delusional folks. They try to reflect what fighters do onto their own persona.

For example the Fedor loss, for 3 days you could not come on this board and not see ZOMG's! Ze Jitz..

As if what Werdum did has any bearing on their lives and if suddenly they just got more cred and now can go to the water cooler and poke their chest out and say "Yeah i do zoo zitsue too" :)

No one cares bro! LOL

Anway the thing with Silva is he really only reps BJJ when he is fighting a wrestler so BJJ guys love him part time and it is easy to disregard him. Against the Maia's of the world Silva is as anti BJJ tactics as you can get. So he is the champ with half the following.

People are too focused on the style and not the fighter. SIlva pulled it out of his ass to win thats the game. But we cant hate on either fighter for that.

17. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

that's the beauty of BJJ, sonnen needed to be a cardio freak and wrestle non-stop for 5 rounds in order to win, Silva on the other hand was injured and exhausted but all he needed was one small opportunity and the fight was over :D

18. Steve3730

Steve3730 Green Belt

Hail mary? pulled it out his ass? He was working for the triangle the entire 5 rounds (when on the ground). So because he gets it with 1 minute left it is a hail mary?

19. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

I guess the point is that he was in danger of losing if that was indeed his strategy.

For the record you can throw a hail Mary 10 times a game if you want that does not mean it is not a hail mary.

I dunno where my son got this stat but he just sent me an email "He landed, according to statistics, 289 punches on silva, 8 being powershots. I don't know if it makes silva look more impressive or what happened more depressing"

If this is true I dont think anyone gameplans on taking 300 strikes in a fight.

20. Steve3730

Steve3730 Green Belt

But it wasn't something crazy it wasn't a wild card attempt. The triangle/armbar is probably the most popular sub from bottom. And usually in MMA who ever is on bottom is in danger, doesn't mean every sub from guard is a hailmary.