1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Jiu Jitsu and fitness.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by IamnotJonFitch, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Shot Brown Belt Platinum Member

Dieting is mostly common sense. Everyone knows what's bad and whats good. People just like to claim they don't so they can dodge accountability.

I mean, honestly, has anyone ever met someone who was scarfing down a chicken parm and they thought it was a healthy option?

I lost a ton of weight just sticking to the basics. Which is to me, John Berardi's 7 habits

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Pretty simple. Stay away from junk food, eat nuts and seeds as snacks instead of crap and you'll lose weight.

2. FlowWithTheGo23 Black Belt

Although I've lost weight from doing BJJ, I've never been able to get "cut" from it. Only weights has done that.

3. Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

This. It's really not that complicated. Cutting out processed carbs and caloric drinks are really the only major 'tips'; the rest is just eating less and burning more.

PS, BJJ is a pretty weak workout from a physical conditioning perspective. Compared to boxing or wrestling it's pretty much a relaxing day at the beach.

4. rmongler Black Belt

lifting heavy is probably the most energy intensive activity in the shortest interval there is. for alot of guys who focus on weightlifting the real struggle is avoiding going catabolic all the time and lose gains.

5. Headkicktoleg Banned Banned

I lost 75 lbs in a year.

To me the biggest thing was to not let myself get hungry. I had healthy snacks with me and I didn't go food shopping hungry.

I also liked to weigh myself every morning. That's probably more than most people would suggest, but you want to at least once a week.

6. IamnotJonFitch Green Belt

Thank you, guys, it's very much appreciated. I've been trying harder the last couple days, calorie counting and watching my general nutrition and it's been easier than I thought.

7. November Yellow Belt

Don't worry about counting calories. Just eat sensible portions of naturally occurring foods and you will be in good shape.

8. Musheen Orange Belt

I would say that since he's always been pudgy, then counting calories is exactly what he should do to get in shape. I agree with what you said, but if someone's been pudgy their whole life, then they've probably always had larger portions and more than they should. Counting calories provides a reality check and allows you to see the size of portions you should be eating.

9. magick Green Belt

The entire point of counting calories is to know what "sensible portions" is for you.

10. nkfpanda White Belt

For this kind of advice I'd recommend going on the strength and conditioning part of these forums. Generally, you will receive much better advice....along with many sarcastic comments. Read the FAQ that you will find there. A ton of great info.

11. LucaTheDamaja Yellow Belt

It's all about calories. Maintain a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. There's a great calculator at iifym.com to get you. A base on your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

I'm extremely interested in weight loss. I'm 193 lbs as of now and used to be 247, so I have some personal experience to back up what I'm saying. Secondly, experts like Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon, and many others stand by the science backing calorie restriction.

You can eat foods you enjoy and lose weight, just keep track of calories and macros.

Check out bodytrecomposition.com, iifym.com & join the bodybuilding.com fat loss forum.

12. Aikidoka Chief Troublemaker Banned

Eat salads and fruit. Slowly start eating salads with your breakfast, lunch and dinner unless you're eating something sweet.
    That is the only natural way you will lose weight without having to work out at all. But if you want to work out that is a plus and it will speed it up.

13. Bayonet Blue Belt

Get a labor job. Ever seen a fat roofer?

14. lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

It's easy: CREATE A CALORIC DEFICIT. Now, that's easier said than done because people tend to vastly underestimate how much they eat and vastly over estimate how much they burn off through exercise, but this is where a food journal or a calorie counting app come in handy. Accurately measuring/weighing and logging your portions is just as important because most people really don't know what 6 oz of chicken breast or a 1/2 cup of rice looks like.

Things like keto, paleo, plant-based, 4 hour body, IF, 8 meals a day, etc. are all just gimmicks to get you to feel fuller on fewer calories.

That said, since you're eating fewer calories, it's important that the calories you DO eat are higher quality. If you've got a caloric budget of only 2000 kcals a day, are you going to use them up on soda and Frosted Flakes or are you going to get those calories from lean proteins, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, nuts and whole grains?

15. Steve3730 Green Belt

WEIGHT LIFT. Everyone can say diet and of course diet is the single most important part. While starting BJJ and changing my diet made me drop 70lbs. It wasn't until i started some weight lifting that i went from 70lbs lighter and puggy to 70lbs lighter and leaner. People thought i was still losing weight while i was staying roughly the same weight, just replaced fat with muscle.

16. Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

HIIT.

The weight just falls right off, and it gives you better cardiovascular health in less time than jogging.

17. zcrich01 White Belt

My "natural body weight" has always stayed in the 185-190 range for the majority of my adult years while being fairly lean (because I've always worked out a lot). However, while studying for the bar exam and in the 6 months after taking it, I ballooned from around 190 to 215 lbs due to poor diet and lack of exercise. I was working my first attorney job and putting in 70 hours a week....so exercise went to the wayside.

I eventually decided it was time to get back in shape, and I went back on a lean protein/complex carb diet that I'd basically followed the majority of my life sans law school/post-law school. I also re-implemented cardio into my regimen (which I'd been admittedly neglecting for several years). By March, I'd cut down to 183 lbs (approximately 4 months). Dietary change was the biggest contributing factor to this. While chicken wings and fries sound tasty on the front end, they stay with you later in the form of a spare tire. Lesson learned.

18. virtuoso Blue Belt

Easiest way to track this stuff is the MyFitnessPal app. You put in your sex, age, height and weight and then your desired weight. It then calculates the calorie deficiency and you keep track of your intake by logging foods, water, and even workouts. The food tracking is sweet, cause you can use your phone's camera to scan food barcodes. I just have a measuring cup handy to measure my food.

19. DoMn8 Orange Belt

I second weighing yourself every morning. Folks say not to as your body fluctuates too much for it be meaningful but it keeps your eyes on the prize and, when I'm proper low carbing it I can usually see a drop day by day which is great for motivation.

20. IceWolf Orange Belt

Look up the "10 Habits of Health Eating" by John Berardi and follow them. Then find some time for some GPP a few times a week and your golden pony boy.