Jiu Jitsu and fitness.

IamnotJonFitch

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, how are you doing?

I've been training on and off for a few years, mostly off honestly, and I've always been a little pudgy. Basically, Fedor pudgy, maybe a little less pudge. Anyways, I've finally found the time to dedicate myself to Jiu Jitsu and some boxing more frequently, two or three times a week. Still, I've never been able to cut that fat off that I've had since I was a kid.

Besides diet, which if you have any not obvious advice on I'm totally open to it, any general advice on cutting some fat while using grappling as my main workout?

cut out sugar or flour. doing calisthenics every day helps too. once you're in decent shape, start doing sprints.

Besides diet? What a stupid thing to say. Sorry, but it is all about diet. Unless you are Gary Tonon, you can't go around eating shit all day and then expect that a couple jiu jitsu workout a week are going to get you cut.

If your diet is right then you can lose weight without any workouts. Having the workouts in there with the correct diet will only accelerate the weight loss.

Besides diet? What a stupid thing to say. Sorry, but it is all about diet. Unless you are Gary Tonon, you can't go around eating shit all day and then expect that a couple jiu jitsu workout a week are going to get you cut.

If your diet is right then you can lose weight without any workouts. Having the workouts in there with the correct diet will only accelerate the weight loss.

Oh sure, just...my diet is pretty decent. I watch my calories, sugar and sodium intakes and try to get good amounts of good fats and protien in my day.

It's not always great (the holidays were particularly decadent this year ) but I'm aware of basic nutrition. However, any particularly effective tips that not everyone is aware of would of course be great.

Oh sure, just...my diet is pretty decent. I watch my calories, sugar and sodium intakes and try to get good amounts of good fats and protien in my day.

It's not always great (the holidays were particularly decadent this year ) but I'm aware of basic nutrition. However, any particularly effective tips that not everyone is aware of would of course be great.

It sounds like you're looking for that one secret tip that trainers hate...

Honestly I think it just comes down to being strict with yourself. Use something like myfitnesspal to count exactly all your calories to keep your diet in check.

It sounds like you're looking for that one secret tip that trainers hate...

Honestly I think it just comes down to being strict with yourself. Use something like myfitnesspal to count exactly all your calories to keep your diet in check.

Haha, no arguments here. I definitely could be better, thank you for the tip. I'll look into myfitnesspal and try to cut out sugar, I definitely drink more sugar than I mean to in my coffee.

I personally don't like sweet coffee so I never take it with sugar anyway, but a friend of mine with a sweet tooth started putting a tablespoon of coconut oil into his coffee instead of sugar, it still gave him a bit of sweetness but it's meant to aid weight loss.

Honestly though you can't go wrong with a very strong espresso and full cream raw milk, I've no idea why some people want to ruin that with sugar lol.

My stance on food is generally to worry less about how much you're eating, and more about what you're eating. Sugar and fat are necessary nutrients for survival. But if your diet includes a significant amount of trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, modified starches, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, etc., that shit can really fuck your system up. If you've made a real effort to moderate your calories, and still aren't getting the results you want, I'd try going more natural.

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I've been training on and off for a few years, mostly off honestly, and I've always been a little pudgy. Basically, Fedor pudgy, maybe a little less pudge. Anyways, I've finally found the time to dedicate myself to Jiu Jitsu and some boxing more frequently, two or three times a week. Still, I've never been able to cut that fat off that I've had since I was a kid.

Besides diet, which if you have any not obvious advice on I'm totally open to it, any general advice on cutting some fat while using grappling as my main workout?

Diet is about 85% of it. You can only get away with bad diet if, like Tonon, you are young and train hours upon hours every day.

Also, cardio. I like Airdyne and Concept2 rowers.

My stance on food is generally to worry less about how much you're eating, and more about what you're eating. Sugar and fat are necessary nutrients for survival. But if your diet includes a significant amount of trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, modified starches, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, etc., that shit can really fuck your system up. If you've made a real effort to moderate your calories, and still aren't getting the results you want, I'd try going more natural.

Sugar is in no way necessary. The Inuit have survived for centuries in the arctic on a diet of primarily fat, and meat. No vegetables, no fruit, no carbs. Certainly no sugar.

I was in the same boat as you. I was never obese but was chubby, like fedor-chubby. I weighed 215-225. I started eating a more paleo-style diet and now i am 195lbs, even got down to 190. I could probably keep going down into the 180's but i like to eat on the weekends. Anyways, just eat earth-grown foods, shit you can find in nature. Veggies, Fruits, Meats (lean meats are better), nuts, etc. You can't just go out in nature and find a granola bar or a loaf of bread. The few exceptions that I made were yogurt (organic, plain, no added sugar) and protein bars/powder (sometimes i don't have time to make breakfast). If you have a blender, use it. Make a green shake every morning with some almond butter, yogurt, or protein powder to make it a full meal (protein+carbs=full meal). IF you cut out all processed foods, most importantly processed sugars, you will lose a shit ton of weight.

Bulletproof coffee, green shakes (so you can just drink your veggies), and keeping healthy snacks like trail mix or nuts around at all times. That's my patented fatboy method for grappling success.

Doing short amounts of max incline treadmill "sprints" along with strength training has always kept me acceptably lean and allowed me to eat whatever I want.

I haven't done said "sprints" in the last month and have gotten flabby.

Point being- frequent short and intense training is good at keeping excess fat off. Getting below 12% will take some effort, but staying at 12-15% is easy enough. Whether you look lean or not at that particular bf will depend on your own personal body composition though.

Sprints. Fastest way to lose weight. There's a fair amount of evidence to indicate that sprints activate metabolic processes in the body that increase the availability of fat as an energy resource. Run 3 miles outside on hilly terrain, sprint up all the hills. If that gets you 4 ~100 yard sprints you're doing fine. The weight will fall off. I lost ~25 lbs in 8 weeks doing this and eating clean prior to a big BJJ comp, and it's worked for me ever since whenever I needed to drop weight.

Replace all drinks with water. Eat only what you prepare and cook.

Diet is everything and those things can help reign in your calories pretty quickly.

Yes, spooning coconut oil into your coffee is the answer to all your weightloss problems :eek:

Honestly, ask this in the diet forum where you might get some less looney replies.

Yes, spooning coconut oil into your coffee is the answer to all your weightloss problems :eek:

Honestly, ask this in the diet forum where you might get some less looney replies.

It wasn't a fix-all tip, it was a simple way to drink less sugar. The answers so far have been pretty consistent and pretty great too.

here. just listen to this
1) no pasta or bread
2) do not eat until you are full. always be just a bit hungry. learn how to deal with not being full all the time
3) do not eat just to eat

i lost a ton of weight doing this. remember, you have to make your body burn fat to get rid of it.

I suggested it as an alternative to sugar in coffee for people who cannot tolerate unsweetened coffee, and mentioned it is said to help with weightloss. I doubt it would be the answer to all your weight loss problems.

There are so many different diets out there, and with so much conflicting information, it can become very hard to know what to do. I had excellent results with the Slow Carb or 4HB diet but began finding I couldn't engage in long training sessions without getting light headed and nauseous after about three weeks on the diet. But it works a treat for a lot of people as well.

You'll never burn fat if you're consuming more calories than you burn. The amount of calories necessary for body weight maintenance will vary from person to person but ultimately, if you're not losing weight, you're eating more than your body needs.

Beyond diet, strength training can have a dramatic effect on body composition. You burn more calories during your workout and, over time, will increase your metabolic rate by increasing muscle mass.

There's no quick tip or easy change that will get you lean over night. You need to look at making lifestyle changes that you can maintain for the rest of your life. Whether that means improving your diet, adopting a consistent strength and conditioning plan or, even better, both is up to you.

Back