Jiri Prochazka targets October return, thinks Jon Jones is getting tired of defending LHW title.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Jiri Prochazka made quite the splash in his UFC debut and the big Czech is keen to keep the momentum going.

Prochazka (27-3-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) scored a spectacular second-round knockout of Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 251 in Abu Dhabi as he extended his win streak to 11.

The former Rizin FF light heavyweight champion drew a stern test on his octagon debut, but he passed that test with flying colors and now finds himself in the UFC’s light heavyweight top 10. Now Prochazka wants to keep leveling up his opponents, and says he’ll upgrade his performances to match.

“I’m very glad for that,” Prochazka told MMA Junkie. “That was a nice step from the UFC because after Rizin, I had so many fights and they give me very good opponents, but I like it. I’m very glad for that, because I need to challenge myself. I need to have tough opponents in front of me because my opponent will make my performance.”

Prochazka came out relatively unscathed and said he wants to return before the end of the year. He has no specific opponent in mind, but doesn’t see himself being too far away from a title shot.

“I think October will be a very nice month for fighting, something like that,” he said. “October, November, I wanna fight.”

He continued, “I don’t care (who I face next). In the light heavyweight division, every guy has a good style and I like them. I don’t care, I just want to go for the title, so I don’t care who they give me. I just want to show my skills, my power and my technique.”

Nobody has been able to figure out the puzzle of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Prochazka expects him to still be at the division’s summit when he eventually gets into title contention.

Jones’ decision wins against Thiago Santos and Dominick Reyes were much closer than his previous title defenses, with some observers scoring the fights to his opponents. But Prochazka says Jones’ less-dominant displays could be down to weariness, rather than the level of his opposition.

“I think he must be very tired,” Prochazka said. “Jon Jones must be very tired from defending the title. Still and still the champion, so I don’t know what’s his motivation to be the champion. Maybe I’m on the level to be on top, but I’m learning from fight to fight, and I need to fight one or two more fights and then I’ll feel more comfortable in the UFC. I need to feel at home in the fights, so I think one or two more fights and everything will be on the right way to the top

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...hest-challenges/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Either keep matching him up against exciting strikers or test him against grapplers, that seems to be the two schools of thought.

Either keep matching him up against exciting strikers or test him against grapplers, that seems to be the two schools of thought.

I think as long as it's someone in the top 10 I won't be upset. The only ones in the top 10 without a fight besides Jones is Reyes, Blachowicz, Anderson, and Gus. I'm more or less fine with any of those although like I said I prefer Anderson. I do think Prochazka has proven himself on the international stage though and shouldn't be coddled. Top 10 for sure after a huge performance especially with LHW dying for contenders as Jones has beaten everyone.

The opponent should definitely be Corey Anderson. He's ranked above him and we'll be able to see how good his TDD is.

He has a lot of wins over wrestlers so unless he's fighting Jones or DC I think his TDD will hold for the most part. He may get taken down but he's strong and able to get back up.

Ah missed that - makes sense

What’s Reyes up to?

Nothing booked, guess they're seeing what JBJ does, if he gets stripped my guess is Reyes Vs Blachowicz for the title (they might do it for an interim title anyway)

Nothing booked, guess they're seeing what JBJ does, if he gets stripped my guess is Reyes Vs Blachowicz for the title (they might do it for an interim title anyway)

I think Dana said Jones won't get stripped (nobody would see the new champ as anything anyways), they do interims all the time though so that wouldn't surprise at all.

It’s the way to go Unless Jones budges

a potential title unification rematch between Reyes / jones might actually be the biggest lhw fight since jones / dc

that leaves jiri with Corey Anderson I guess

Some Q&A from Jiri's channel -

Give him Johnny Walker.
By rumours - UFC offered to Jiří fight with Johnny in September and Jiri declined .

He is going to fight with Corey Anderson / Nikita Krylov or with winner of Smith vs Rakic / Santos vs Teixeira , maybe Blachowycz/Reyes but i dont believe that they'll accept this fight in their position.

Last edited:
Corey Anderson is the perfect opponent for him and for us. If he wins, the later in the fight it is the more impressed I'll be.

Jiri's TDD is pretty alright i'd say. Not the best but he's not Johnny walker tier. He should clip Anderson like he did Volkan.

Some Q&A from Jiri's channel -

By rumours - UFC offered to Jiří fight with Johnny in September and Jiri declined .

He is going to fight with Corey Anderson / Nikita Krylov or with winner of Smith vs Rakic / Santos vs Teixeira , maybe Blachowycz/Reyes but i dont believe that they'll accept this fight in their position.

Yeah no need for him to fight Walker. Jiri just brutally KO'd a world ranker. Walker makes 0 sense considering he is on a 2 fight skid.

Back