Media Jinh Yu Frey reflects on her UFC loss

LoneLynx

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

- she got the call 6 days before the fight while she was drinking wine and spending time with family
- it was a calculated risk, she knew Hansen was tough but felt it was worth the risk to get in the UFC
- was gonna move up to 115 anyway, at 35 she doesn’t want to cut as much weight and will do more strength training going forward
- felt very stressed and overwhelmed the week of the fight
- the loss is humiliating, hates being someone’s highlight reel
- she lacked explosiveness during the fight
- knows she’s probably getting a lot of hate online
- tells haters to strap in coz she ain’t done yet

- it was a calculated risk, she knew Hansen was tough but felt it was worth the risk to get in the UFC

This seems pretty like some pretty stupid thinking by her.

She's a former champ and has headlined a few Invicta cards now. She could have easily gotten a UFC contract. She didn't need to take the short notice risk lol.

She seems undersized and underpowered, and not very good. Other than that she did ok before she lost badly.

I hope Frey can bounce back. She's got some crisp striking. That left cross is a laser.

I was surprised to hear she didn't do weight training at 105, she was pretty muscular even without it.

Will be interesting to see whether she'll be able to bulk up a bit. Hansen was noticeably bigger and it matters in the grappling game.

This seems pretty like some pretty stupid thinking by her.

She's a former champ and has headlined a few Invicta cards now. She could have easily gotten a UFC contract. She didn't need to take the short notice risk lol.

Don't forget that she was fighting in the Atomweight division, which doesn't exist in the UFC. She's also 35 years old so it's possible the UFC wasn't knocking down her door to get her to sign. It wouldn't surprise me if her age made her feel a sense of urgency in taking the Hansen fight just to get her foot in the door.

I have always liked her and thought she could be amazing but she hasn't seemed to improve much and has overall been a big letdown. At the same time though my expectations were probably too high for her to begin with.

She seems undersized and underpowered, and not very good. Other than that she did ok before she lost badly.
This...very underpowered. Just got handled on the ground very easily. At her age, these things are not correctable.

If you take a fight under circumstances like that you either win or you're a complete loser in the eyes of the UFC and Dana was never your friend. If you say no then Dana was never your friend and you'll never get asked again.

It doesn't happen in any other sport. Just seems weird to me.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt with short notice and all, but I thought it was really strange how calm and nonresistant she was during the finish. It seemed like when Hansen used the triangle to get her to break her grip, and then snagged the arm before she could lock her hands back together, she just gave up and waited for the armbar to be tight enough to tap. I'm glad she's in good spirits, because I was half expecting her to retire with how over it all she looked while she was in that armbar haha.

Back