Jimmy Pedro showing some no gi judo

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kbits, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Kbits Blue Belt

2. RightToBareKnuckles Green Belt

maybe a dumb/obvious statement, but looks similar to Greco-Roman. do people ever do judo style hip throws in greco-roman? or are the trips just easier, high percentage moves?

3. Swoliosis Red Belt

A lot of the set ups and throws were covered in folkstyle and freestyle wrestling from what I remember in my day.

I rarely used em unless it was a desperation move, but some guys loved em and could hit hip tosses like nothing.

Pedro was a D1 wrestler as well IIRC

4. Swoliosis Red Belt

They're done in Greco, but trips are illegal. Upper body only.

5. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

2:26 AM? Go to bed, Kbits.

6. Julian Smith White Belt

Yeah they use them but it's a bit harder to pull off when you can ONLY use your upper body to throw, like they are much more aware of what you're trying to do.

7. dsdoubled Brown Belt

Wow I had no idea he was a wrestler. And a DI wrestler, obviously makes him one hell of a grappler. I cant think of too many guys who were at such a high level on both.
    -Jimmy Pedro
    -Brian Picklo
    -Jason Morris

Was Rhadi Ferguson a wrestler too?

8. Swoliosis Red Belt

I believe Ferguson wrestled also but I could be wrong

9. TheFakeMacoy Purple Belt

Steve Mocco was a junior national champion in judo, aside from his numerous wrestling credentials.

10. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

What was Justin Flores' wrestling career like?

11. cjd Blue Belt

His sister (Katie Mocco) was a highly succesful Judoka.

It's not super clear to me how seriously Mocco ever trained Judo; or if he just did enough and the winning happened on account of him being Steve Mocco (he was arguably the most dominant HS heavyweight of all time).

12. FightGuyOpenMind Purple Belt

"From 1992 to 1997 Ferguson attended Howard University in Washington, DC on a football scholarship and also was one of only a few students in the history of the school to play 3 sports (Football, Wrestling, and Track)." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhadi_Ferguson)

I've seen video of his judo, bjj, and mma. Never seen video of him in folk style wrestling but wiki listed it.

13. Swoliosis Red Belt

[​IMG]
    <Goldie11>

14. TheFakeMacoy Purple Belt

I don't know exactly how much he was involved in judo. I've seen it mentioned. I did a quick google search and I found this video with him talking about starting it as a child here:
    https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5638542-moccos-judo-background-and-kidney-problems
    It does sound like he mainly did it as a child and more as something to do before he was allowed to wrestle.
    There's also this interview where he attributes his foot sweeps both to training judo, and also to a wrestling coach he had in high school:
    http://www.professionalfightersleag...-beat-cain-velasquez-five-times-in-wrestling/

15. Edison Exotic Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Would let her go kami shiho gatame on me

<Gordonhat>

16. dsdoubled Brown Belt

Speaking of Mocco, I am reminded of Hector Lombard (The ATT connection). Obviously a world class judo guy, he seemed to be very much into developing his wrestling as well. He was at one time on the coaching staff at the Melbourne Wrestling Academy (one of Australia's regional training centers) and later on he actually wanted to face Ben Askren in Ben's wrestling league (I think it was Agon). But I couldnbt find anything on his competitive wrestling.

17. Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I can think of a few others. Steve Mocco was very good in both disciplines, Greg Gibson in the 80s won an Olympic wrestling silver and a Sambo world title so he knew a little about jacket wrestling, Justin Flores who used to coach Ronda Rousey was a Judo Olympian and wrestled at Nebraska, and of course in the former Soviet Union lots of guys had high level experience in jacket and non-jacket wrestling styles as the lines are pretty blurred there between disciplines (in the sense that many people practice both).

18. dsdoubled Brown Belt

I LOVE Greg Gibson and I wish he was more accessible in terms of putting out content, doing more interviews, appearing in videos, etc. The guy is an absolute gold mine of grappling knowledge. Back when the AAU and eventually USA Wrestling included sombo in their stable many wrestlers competed in sombo just because they were already there at the tournament and wanted to get more mat time. But Gibson was a guy that really seemed to excel at it and was a guy who won with arm locks all the time.

If we are including sombo in the discussion Id also add Henry Cejudo's coach, Eric Albarracin as well. He won some national and international medals in sombo in the mid 2000s when the sport came back into the USAW fray. Again, he wasn't just a guy who wrestled in sambo competition, he learned the submission aspect of it.

Im always interested in foreign guys who did wrestling and judo/sombo at higher levels. Im sure there are a ton but I have not found too many specific examples. Although I did post about it a while back. Maybe I can find the post.