News Jimmy Flick retires from MMA

Impossible, U Fight Cheap takes utmost care of its fighters!

UFC pays it's fighters peanuts to go out and risk their lives and take brain trauma that will potentially significantly decrease the quality of their lives when they hit their 40s and 50s. No pension, no benefits. And we're supposed to be surprised that young guys are retiring and finding something else to do with their lives? Most guys would be better off trying to get a job at Walmart.

You're both idiots. Jimmy Flick would be on something like a $1K/$1K contract in Bellator (and yes, Bellator really does pay their prelim fighters this little). Bellator doesn't even offer performance bonuses. UFC pays more, without question. Should they pay more? That's an entirely different discussion. And yes, they should. That said don't just shit on the UFC over fighter pay, when all the other orgs PAY LESS. Fighter pay isn't a UFC problem, it's an MMA problem. Guarantee the $77K ($12K show+$12K win+$50K performance bonus+$3K reebok) he made in his one fight in the UFC is more than he'd make in 3 or 4 fights in other org.

Anyway, disappointing to hear. He's really fun to watch. Even had a fight scheduled next month. Good luck to him

Wow that’s a shame, remember watching his contender series bouts he seemed like a legit prospect, especially in that division

He found a better career as a garbage man so he quit mma.0

Sounds like wanted to send a message to UFC, otherwise he would have just privately posted that he's retiring

Doubtful.

And if he does change his mind he can always come back.
I could see him leaving it behind all together. Maybe run BJJ tournaments etc...but I mean, that 50k payday is probably the best money you get for several fights. And he’d have to win a couple more in a row to get the kind of money to feed a family. Not to say he’s definitely incapable, because he’s super talented. But the number of guys who make it through the gauntlet of the ranked 50-15 guys to actually get paid is so few and far between. Not a bad choice the way I see it

You're both idiots. Jimmy Flick would be on something like a $1K/$1K contract in Bellator (and yes, Bellator really does pay their prelim fighters this little). Bellator doesn't even offer performance bonuses. UFC pays more, without question. Should they pay more? That's an entirely different discussion. And yes, they should. That said don't just shit on the UFC over fighter pay, when all the other orgs PAY LESS. Fighter pay isn't a UFC problem, it's an MMA problem. Guarantee the $77K ($12K show+$12K win+$50K performance bonus+$3K reebok) he made in his one fight in the UFC is more than he'd make in 3 or 4 fights in other org.

No, you're the idiot.

"Should they pay more? That's an entirely different discussion."

That's the discussion we were having, jackass. You're the one who brought up Bellator and other orgs when we were talking about the UFC's pay.

The facts are facts: the profit sharing % of the UFC is damn near criminal when compared to other major sports.

So before you call other people idiots, learn to follow a conversation properly.

No, you're the idiot.

"Should they pay more? That's an entirely different discussion."

That's the discussion we were having, jackass. You're the one who brought up Bellator and other orgs when we were talking about the UFC's pay.

The facts are facts: the profit sharing % of the UFC is damn near criminal when compared to other major sports.

So before you call other people idiots, learn to follow a conversation properly.

I think it's hard to compare teams that play every week to fighters that fight twice a year. Boxing is closest model and they pay prelim boxers peanuts too.

Reactions: lsa
Dude good for him. Fuck the UFC, nothing wrong with wanting to live a normal life.

I'd love to have a highlight reel of sub finishes and show my son that I made it to the UFC, but chose to have a stable life and provide with my brain intact.

Broken bones and being tough, chasing glory and underpaid belts don't show how to be a father or husband.

Jimmy Flick on retiring early: UFC fighters are ‘too stupid to unionize’

Jimmy Flick opened up on his surprising retirement, noting how in MMA, there’s too much risk involved, with not enough pay.

Flick is currently under his Contender Series contract, which starts with a $10,000 base purse. The former LFA flyweight champion says that he also works as a CNC operator, and earns $40,000 a year, with 401k and other benefits. After over a decade fighting professionally, he made it to the sport’s biggest stage and won impressively, but felt that he still couldn’t afford to quit his day job.

“There’s no benefits of beating my body up no more being in the UFC. We have no 401k. We have no benefits. We have no fallback,” Flick told MMA Fighting. “Fighters are too stupid to unionize, and it’ll never happen, because there’s other fighters that will fight for that money.”

What Flick touched on, happens with the UFC’s control of the market, where instead of the athletes working to get everyone paid better, fighters just have “reverse auctions” and bid each other down in hopes of getting a high profile bout.

That hinders fighter pay, and Flick noted how the amount of risk involved factored into his decision to call it quits. He says this became more evident when his opponent Cody Durden pulled out and rescheduled, then Flick ended up cutting a lot of weight twice in 12 days.

He managed to win by submission and get that discretionary $50,000 performance of the night bonus, but still realized the sport will take so much more than what he’s willing to give.

“You don’t bring much in, but you keep striving for more, but I keep losing more time with my family,” he said. “I’ve been bottling it up and using that to motivate me and to push. I don’t know what I’ve done to my body. Nobody knows what we do to the insides from the mental toughness, to the training, to the weight cutting.”

In the full interview, Flick also opened up on his family and tough upbringing. He detailed how he thought fighting in the UFC and sticking with mixed martial arts would help reunite him with his father and former coach. But once it “didn’t make a difference,” he only realized he was “fighting for all the wrong reasons.”

something i would do...but i would like to win a major title first be it PFL..Bellator...or UFC ..then retire and open a gym...if i became champion in the Ufc though it may be harder to simply walk.away
If you become UFC champion can ya give ya boy carrot a shout-out in the post fight interview ?

Best of in life and all that.

I liked to watch em work and his ceiling looked promising.

Oh and thanks for the Scraps!

If his heart is no longer in it, good on him, he probably made the right choice. MMA is a tough and brutal sport, with not much reward unless you are among the 1-2% best.

Anyone know what he is moving on to doing? I saw he currently works a job that pays $40,000 per year, surely he isn't sticking to that. Not when he was getting $50k POTN bonuses.

UFC pays it's fighters peanuts to go out and risk their lives and take brain trauma that will potentially significantly decrease the quality of their lives when they hit their 40s and 50s. No pension, no benefits. And we're supposed to be surprised that young guys are retiring and finding something else to do with their lives? Most guys would be better off trying to get a job at Walmart.

This is the reality of it. We know from litigation that the UFC pays out an absolutely embarrassing 18% of revenue to fighters. I massively respect what Dana and Lorenzo built and how its shaped the sport for a decade, but I don't think that justifies fighters getting such a paltry split of revenue.

As you said, getting paid peanuts for brain damage. The reason we are shuffling around the old farts of yesteryear at the upper weight divisions is because the starting pay is 12k to risk quality of life.

Until the fighters get a more equitable deal, it will fail to attract a suitable volume of young, talented athletes. People with options will not choose the UFC as their first option.

Best of luck to Flick, his quotes said it all.

Got to the UFC and realized he needs to rely on POTN bonuses for the next many years if he wants to make more than minimum wage at best

Wonder what happened to make this happen. Guy worked his ass off to get to the UFC and then retires after winning his first fight?

Good for him! He sounds happy and inspired. And like his goals are mature and important. Good stuff.

Back