News Jimmy Flick retires from MMA

The guy literally spent a decade grinding to get to the UFC, made it, won a $50K POTN bonus his first fight in which he took practically zero damage, then decides he wants to quit.

This guy is a hero. Far too many guys stay in too long, on the sole basis that it's all they have, and how much time they've already invested.

Sad for the fans, but I am happy for him, and wish him the best.

Very weird, yeah. I wonder if something's happened in training or something, like a bad concussion that has made him reevaluate.

UFC pays it's fighters peanuts to go out and risk their lives and take brain trauma that will potentially significantly decrease the quality of their lives when they hit their 40s and 50s. No pension, no benefits. And we're supposed to be surprised that young guys are retiring and finding something else to do with their lives? Most guys would be better off trying to get a job at Walmart.

This is a big surprise. I wonder if it came more from life or training. Flick has been finished via strikes 4 times, although once was via kicks.

Regardless, he was an excellent submission artist who got my attention the first time I saw him fight. I wanted to see more from him, but his family probably feels the same way.

That's disappointing as a fan, I really liked his style, but I can never fault a fighter for doing what they think is best. This is a dangerous sport and no one should do it if they aren't 100% committed.

I wish him luck in the future.

Wonder if he had injury or health problems pop up. On a positive if you're only going to have 1 UFC fight in your life, winning by flying triangle is a good way too cap the career.

Wonder what happened to make this happen. Guy worked his ass off to get to the UFC and then retires after winning his first fight?

JIMMY FLIcK MMA or BJJ gym incoming...

Guy reached the pinnacle of the sport getting into the UFC and winning... His Journey more then Qaulifies him to be a coach and that 50k win bonus is a nice deposit on gym space..

Plus no more getting punched in the head.. that would be my guess..and something i would do...but i would like to win a major title first be it PFL..Bellator...or UFC ..then retire and open a gym...if i became champion in the Ufc though it may be harder to simply walk.away

Maybe he found his calling doing flicks instead.

Back