Jim Wendler: Is what I'm doing awesome?

Dr Boondigga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
(The quote in the title thread is by Jim Wendler. I myself am not asking whether my routine is awesome or not.)

I'd like to make a list of both strength and conditioning exercises considered awesome by you Sherdoggers. They don't have to be the hardest most extreme exercises out there, just ones were if you walked past someone doing that exercise, you'd say "My God, that is so awesome!".

Examples of Awesomeness:
20 rep squats
Hill Sprints
Flipping tractor tires

Examples of non-Awesomeness:
Quarter squats
Walking on a treadmill
Flipping Bosu-Balls

And if anyone needs more guidance on the topic, Jim explains further:

"Of course, geeks like to bust my chops with questions like, "How do I even know if something is awesome or not?" My answer is, if you're so freaking unsure that you have to ask someone else for his or her opinion then the answer is it's probably not the least bit awesome."

Edit: This thread was made simply to get some ideas of what people do for fun in terms of exercises and what they really enjoy, not about how to make a routine, or what exercises are better than others. No advice is needed. Just an input of ideas. Thankyou.

Last edited:
I know Wendler's the man and I love him myself, but to me this advice is more about motivation, consistency (as in regularly training, not as in doing the same thing), and raw adrenaline than it is about smart training advice.

I don't give two shits if what I'm doing is awesome. If I'm getting stronger, then I'll keep doing it.

Also, just making a random list of awesome things and then just doing them is a recipe for disaster if it's not arranged and programmed according to sound progression and periodization principles. It lends itself to a mish mash of lifts and exercises that could be going in multiple directions in the same session and you end up accomplishing nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is it's more important to know why you're doing something and to do what works than it is to care whether it's "awesome," IMO.

Squats, deads, benchs, press, cleans, rows, pullups, dips will do ya.

Good advice there, but I was more thinking this thread would just give people the opportunity to list some stuff that is awesome and they like to do. This isn't about routine making or anything (even though it may come off like that).

"Squats, deads, benchs, press, cleans, rows, pullups, dips will do ya."

True for most cases, especially for beginners (which is what I am) but sometimes I need to do some exercises that fit the bill of being 'awesome'. They are good motivators as you said.

Right well to get this thread started, for grip strength every once and a while I'll load up one side of a barbell then stand on a high bench and pull the weighted side up to me hand over hand, as if climbing down a rope, and then "climb up" the rope and lower the weighted side to the floor.

So long as what you are doing is helping you reach your goals, it is awesome.

Still, dragging and/or pushing cars and trucks around is pretty awesome.

Still, dragging and/or pushing cars and trucks around is pretty awesome.

Yes, yes it is. This is what I am looking for. Also, I have never done this before, but where do you usually push/pull your car around? I'm lost for ideas of where I could do this, without getting in people's way/ people constantly stopping to ask if we need help or petrol.

weighted%20pistol2.jpg

Example of awesomeness ^^^

If it makes me feel like a weak peice of crap, then it's probably awesome. If i'm gassing after a few minutes it's awesome.

Deads, squats, bench, any oly lift and the vertical jump for strength.

Half marathons, hill sprints, basketball and nachos for gassing.

What if the practitioner of a given exercise is awesome himself, doesnt that mean anything he does becomes awesome regardless of what it is?

Yes, yes it is. This is what I am looking for. Also, I have never done this before, but where do you usually push/pull your car around? I'm lost for ideas of where I could do this, without getting in people's way/ people constantly stopping to ask if we need help or petrol.

Well I used to do it in a flat parking lot at a public park, but they gated off the only parking lot there that works for this. You need it to be flat or a very slight hill, so you can push it up it. You also would want a partner sitting in the car to steer and possibly brake, though I do it alone and leave the window down and door unlocked so I can hop in if needed. It goes relatively straight.

What if the practitioner of a given exercise is awesome himself, doesnt that mean anything he does becomes awesome regardless of what it is?

Only for the exact space and time in which the awesome person is performing said exercise. As soon as the person finishes, the exercise instantly returns to being non-awesome.

Well I used to do it in a flat parking lot at a public park, but they gated off the only parking lot there that works for this. You need it to be flat or a very slight hill, so you can push it up it. You also would want a partner sitting in the car to steer and possibly brake, though I do it alone and leave the window down and door unlocked so I can hop in if needed. It goes relatively straight.

My dad used to wait around for the holidays and then go to like home depot or something when they were closed and make a big event out of it with some of his usmc buddies.

There's this hot little asian chick at my gym who does squats and deads in Chucks....

every time I see it I'm like "damn...that's awesome."

I don't think the advice is meant to be taken literally. It's like the quote "it's just assistance, it doesn't fucking matter" (or something along those lines) ... which really means something like "don't worry about assitance until you've got solid technique, and a good plan for the main lifts". In this case I think it means "The bulk of what you do should be awesome stuff like squats, deadlifts, and hill sprints, and you shouldn't be doing tonnes of not awesome stuff like curls, or hamstring curls.", or alternatively, if you view a well planned workout, which really acomplishes things, but at the same time has training economy as an awesome workout...then that might be what it means.

To restate the aim of this thread, it is not "help me make a routine" thread. It is not an advice thread for what exercises are better than others. It is simply a thread for exercises both strength and conditioning that you think are fun/awesome/look super cool etc.

Me personally, I'm doing the texas method (3 days) and every fortnight or so I like to chuck in something (through an extra day, or replace deadlift day) that motivates me and is just awesome to do. I usually do it with mates and play around a bit, nothing too serious. I look forward to these days and it helps to measure progress and see your results improve through all the hard work done through squatting etc.

replace deadlift day
Awesome: not replacing deadlift day
Non-awesome: doing so

Deadlifts are your only friend in this world of enemies. You should be wary of keeping any man, woman or beast which does not perform the deadlift as an ally, for their strength will falter at the moment of truth.

To restate again, this is not an advice thread for noobs as you guys are used to around here. I am not looking for advice on my routine or what exercises are better than squats etc. It is simply a thread for anyone to post something they like doing and consider awesome.

Awesome: not replacing deadlift day
Non-awesome: doing so

Deadlifts are your only friend in this world of enemies. You should be wary of keeping any man, woman or beast which does not perform the deadlift as an ally, for their strength will falter at the moment of truth.

@ Voodoo, If I needed advice I will make a separate thread. Replacing a deadlift day once a month with what is essentially assistant exercises seems logical to me. If I am wrong, start another thread and I will discuss it there. Thankyou.

why is walking on the treadmill not awesome? damnit

I've always thought this was pretty awesome.

oh-look-cupcakes.jpg

In the gym, burpees for time are pretty awesome, where awesome=barftastic

Back