Jim Cornette - "Wrestling is Dead."

Ask Jim Cornette about Dairy Queen.

Rasslin is the strongest its been since the 90's at the moment
Between Lucha Underground, NXT, NJPW, ROH, PPW, Chikara, ICW and the rebirth of the NWA theres a lotta great stuff going on in rasslin right now problem is most people only flip the channels to Raw on Monday night and think thats all there is out there
Hell even TNA is doing some good stuff right now

This. There is an over saturation of great wrestling right now.

It's the wrong people scripting it too. You have soap opera writers trying to write for an entirely different medium, it just doesn't work. The best mic work has always been when guys have had the freedom to improvise and be themselves or themselves as the cartoon characters they imagine. That is totally gone and even punished now.

There's a lot of weird psychology in pro wrestling that people don't really see, and it's just being lost more and more. It's a system that was chaotic but it worked, now it's structured and it's not the same at all and for the worst.

get freddie prince jr back on there writing shit up

I never really watched a lot of the Japanese stuff, although I know it was a more serious product. Although I did see some of Mick's death matches, namely vs Terry Funk. Jesus Christ...

I'm more like you, a huge wrestling fan as a kid, do not watch now but do not hate on wrestling nor people who enjoy it. I still know who is who and who is popular and the like, but I haven't watched a full RAW or PPV in years

Those old Japanese death matches that Cactus Jack fought in were INSANE. Mick Foley is fucking indestructible. I was watching Hell in a Cell 1998 live as an 11-year old, and watching Taker throw Foley off the cage (which was planned) and then going thru the cage (not planned), having a tooth hanging out of his nose, etc..just nuts.
But he took some awful beatings in Japan with thumb tacks, fire, barbed wire, electricity, etc..hell he lost half his ear in Japan wrestling Vader (although that was simply Foley's ear getting caught in the ropes, the power bomb on the unpadded concrete looked MUCH worse).

And those chair shots Foley took from Rock in 1999 maybe, were as scary and real as anything on TV ever.

I truly, honestly can't comprehend how wrestling is so popular. I loved that shit... until I turned 11 and realized it's fake. How the hell does anyone past that age find it interesting?

If you want real fighting, there's boxing, MMA, kickboxing, college wrestling, etc.

If you want fake fighting with written scripts and characters, there's action movies.

I'm more like you, a huge wrestling fan as a kid, do not watch now but do not hate on wrestling nor people who enjoy it. I still know who is who and who is popular and the like, but I haven't watched a full RAW or PPV in years

Those old Japanese death matches that Cactus Jack fought in were INSANE. Mick Foley is fucking indestructible. I was watching Hell in a Cell 1998 live as an 11-year old, and watching Taker throw Foley off the cage (which was planned) and then going thru the cage (not planned), having a tooth hanging out of his nose, etc..just nuts.
But he took some awful beatings in Japan with thumb tacks, fire, barbed wire, electricity, etc..hell he lost half his ear in Japan wrestling Vader (although that was simply Foley's ear getting caught in the ropes, the power bomb on the unpadded concrete looked MUCH worse).

And those chair shots Foley took from Rock in 1999 maybe, were as scary and real as anything on TV ever.

I always think it's funny how people worry about head trauma in "real sports" yet don't think anything of it when it comes to pro wrestling. Pro wrestlers, especially the ones like Foley, take more punishment than probably anyone. I know New Jack actually has true brain damage from busting his head on the floor. Not sure how anyone could feel right allowing him to continue his career. Sad.

It's like watching a magician after you know all of the tricks; it is not the same as before.

There is so much wrong with wrestling in terms of presentation, I think it really has to almost die before it will change. I do think it will be around in some shape or form. But right now, it's unwatchable.

I always think it's funny how people worry about head trauma in "real sports" yet don't think anything of it when it comes to pro wrestling. Pro wrestlers, especially the ones like Foley, take more punishment than probably anyone. I know New Jack actually has true brain damage from busting his head on the floor. Not sure how anyone could feel right allowing him to continue his career. Sad.

New Jack was fucking nuts tho, he did the craziest shit ever. Jumping off the balcony, killing a guy in the ring (although not intentional), just constantly being a badass (and an asshole, it seems everyone hates him).

Agreed on the head trauma aspect. Foley even mentioned how bad those chair shots that Rock hit him with rattled him, I think Royal Rumble 1999? maybe? It was a vicious sight, and Foley should have never set foot in the ring after that match.

But he did, fighting in extreme rules matches with guys like HHH and Orton. He has to be a masochist.

New Jack was fucking nuts tho, he did the craziest shit ever. Jumping off the balcony, killing a guy in the ring (although not intentional), just constantly being a badass (and an asshole, it seems everyone hates him).

Agreed on the head trauma aspect. Foley even mentioned how bad those chair shots that Rock hit him with rattled him, I think Royal Rumble 1999? maybe? It was a vicious sight, and Foley should have never set foot in the ring after that match.

But he did, fighting in extreme rules matches with guys like HHH and Orton. He has to be a masochist.
More like just having horrible self esteem. Those matches were how he found self worth.

I used to think New Jack was hilarious until I saw that video of him stabbing some dude during a match. That shit was uncalled for

Last edited:
Bring back steroids and cocain and you bring back pro wrestling.

I truly, honestly can't comprehend how wrestling is so popular. I loved that shit... until I turned 11 and realized it's fake. How the hell does anyone past that age find it interesting?

If you want real fighting, there's boxing, MMA, kickboxing, college wrestling, etc.

If you want fake fighting with written scripts and characters, there's action movies.

A lotta insecurity in this post

New Jack is legit crazy. I can't post the vid, don't think it would go over well, but he stabbed a guy multiple times with a pretty fair sized knife at a show that only had maybe 15 people in the crowd. Then the victim rolled out of the ring and he followed him, stabbed him again, then tried to crush his head under his boot. Truly disturbing to watch. Then, for whatever reason, they dropped the charges. He was looking at a couple of felony charges, and they decided to drop the charges. Wtf?!

Upon further investigation, he retired in 2013. But the stabbing incident happened almost a decade earlier. How he was allowed to continue wrestling after brain damage and the stabbing incident, I have no clue. He's like the Paul Harris of pro wrestling. Just a complete liability to have in the ring.

The thing about Mick, while he was probably almost as damaged as New Jack, his attitude and temperament were completely different. New Jack was a bad dude, with a bad attitude, who would shoot on everybody he wrestled. Mick was a nice guy who wanted to put on a good show. It is surprising that TNA ever let him wrestle for them, IMO.

To put Vince McMahon in perspective,

In 1992, when Vince McMahon needed to showcase a new generation of talent, as it was quite clear the business was slowing down and audiences weren't reacting in the same manner to the main-event talent of the mid to late 80's, he paired Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, both then respectively the WWF World Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champions at the time, to main event Survivor Series '92.

At the end of the match, having showcased their in-ring talents and abilities, Vince does the sensible thing....Brings out Santa Clause to close the show with Bret Hart in the ring.

I used to think New Jack was hilarious until I saw that video of him stabbing some dude during a match. That shit was uncalled for. Is that the dude that died?

Nah, he lived. Charges were dropped lolz. I guess they didn't want him coming back later to handle up.

The dude that died didn't die during the match or quickly after. It was like five years later. Kid was 17, lied to Heyman saying he was 19 and had been trained by Killer Kowalski (he hadn't) and New Jack beat the shit out of him. Kid needed like 50+ stitches. He died five years later after getting gastric bypass.

corny is great except when hes wrong. He harps on guys and holds grudges way too long.

Corny was the driving force for ROH and I think NXT took many cues from ROH.

I have been a pretty passive wrestling fan for ages. I watch many every year but no other ppvs and I watched lucha underground and NXT.

Nah, he lived. Charges were dropped lolz. I guess they didn't want him coming back later to handle up.

The dude that died didn't die during the match or quickly after. It was like five years later. Kid was 17, lied to Heyman saying he was 19 and had been trained by Killer Kowalski (he hadn't) and New Jack beat the shit out of him. Kid needed like 50+ stitches. He died five years later after getting gastric bypass.

Yeah I saw that Mass Transit incident too. Apparently his Dad was in the front row watching that shit happen as well, brutal!

Back