Jim Cornette - "Wrestling is Dead."

IMO the time for Cornette's brand of wrestling had already passed before WWE destroyed kayfabe and the product became sports-entertainment.

I like him as a promo guy and authority figure but even his booking didn't elevate TNA to the point of legit competition for WWE.

Pretty much. He's an old-school guy who refuses to acknowledge that the shit that worked in the 70's and 80's would not work today.

True, but I think it's different when they break through to the main show. Once he sees them as competition, he changes. He will always put himself on top at the cost of others. It will he interesting to see it play out.
That's on Vince and Dunn.

IMO the time for Cornette's brand of wrestling had already passed before WWE destroyed kayfabe and the product became sports-entertainment.

I like him as a promo guy and authority figure but even his booking didn't elevate TNA to the point of legit competition for WWE.
1. He wasn't booking in TNA.
2. TNA was never going to be legitimate competition for WWE (except in the mind of Dixie Carter).

GROSS!!

Rollins is pretty good but he doesn't even deserve main event status. Owens and Ambrose suck. Having grown up during the attitude era, nothing about those two interests me AT ALL, same with Roman Reigns. I'd give Bryan credit for his commitment and that he gets the crowd pumped up, but he's not that good.

How about the creative team focus on the basics, wrestlers with the technical skill and can actually cut a promo? Miz and Ziggler are soooo underused, it's stupid for them to be in the mid-card.
You complain about Ambrose/Owens/Rollins but then praise Miz and Ziggler? smh

2. TNA was never going to be legitimate competition for WWE (except in the mind of Dixie Carter).

There was a time when they had a legit shot to break through. They just fucked it all up. It's like the moment they signed Angle, all the heads at TNA got brain damage.

I never liked that guy's schtick.

Southern drawl, pink suit, red face, tennis raquet, etc.

He makes some good points, though.

Cornette is a smart guy when he's talking about wrestling. However, take his views with a grain of salt. If Cornette was running the WWE, the 26th version of The Rock And Roll Express would be the face of the company.

You wouldn't think it by listening to him, but make no mistake, he's about as out of touch as it gets.

His Invasion rebooking is hilariously out of touch

There was a time when they had a legit shot to break through. They just fucked it all up. It's like the moment they signed Angle, all the heads at TNA got brain damage.
I think it was more bringing in Russo for the second time in 2006 that really correlates with the downfall of TNA, but prioritizing Christian, Sting, and Kurt Angle over AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe was one of the dumbest moves they could've made, and one that they're heavily paying the price for now.

His Invasion rebooking is hilariously out of touch
LOL, it's funny because they brought in Cornette to critique and fix what was one of the biggest trainwreck missed opportunities in the history of wrestling, and Cornette ended up booking something that was 10x worse.

His 22-match WrestleMania 18 card with gems like "Hulk Hogan/Jimmy Hart vs. Dusty Rhodes/Jim Cornette" wasn't quite the WWF vs. WCW supercard everyone wanted.

It's been dead for years as far as I'm concerned. Once Vince bought WCW and ECW went under and the initial excitement of having everyone under one roof wore off, it's been dead. A monopoly isn't good for an industry. WWE has been putting out a shit product for about a decade now. Occasionally a super talented guy like Daniel Bryan or Brock Lesnar can shine through the muck but for the most part it sucks.

1. He wasn't booking in TNA.

Hmmm, who am I thinking of then...

I kinda agree on tna but they were basically in the same spot with Panda energy as Bellator and Viacom. A blank cheque if only they could prove they justified the expense.

Yeah cornette is talking about the old school, his day, when he says its dead. pro wrestling has changed since then and it had to. i'm in the business, have worked for the wwe before briefly, matches on house shows are a lot closer to what cornette says is dead then what you see on tv. and in the indy's if you got two guys who know what they are doing and a decent crowd, you will get a match that tells a story.

as far as the jarretts, i've been told they've never made $ on any promotion. they milk marks (sponsors) for everything they have and move on. this goes on to a much smaller degree on a lot of crappy indy promotions as well.

this is a tough to business to make $ in. a friend goes out to the convention they have in vegas every year. at one of the promoters seminar they asked how many promoters make $ and out of about 50 ppl only 2 raised their hands. and one of those two were probably lieing lol

That's not true about Jerry Jarrett. He made plenty of money in Memphis until the early 90s. They'd pack the Mid-South Coliseum every Monday night until the WWF started Raw.

Yeah cornette is talking about the old school, his day, when he says its dead. pro wrestling has changed since then and it had to. i'm in the business, have worked for the wwe before briefly, matches on house shows are a lot closer to what cornette says is dead then what you see on tv. and in the indy's if you got two guys who know what they are doing and a decent crowd, you will get a match that tells a story.

as far as the jarretts, i've been told they've never made $ on any promotion. they milk marks (sponsors) for everything they have and move on. this goes on to a much smaller degree on a lot of crappy indy promotions as well.

this is a tough to business to make $ in. a friend goes out to the convention they have in vegas every year. at one of the promoters seminar they asked how many promoters make $ and out of about 50 ppl only 2 raised their hands. and one of those two were probably lieing lol

The Jarretts never made money?
Yea you might wanna stop listening to idiots that think rasslin started in 1997
Jerry Jarrett ran one of the most successful promotions in rasslin for almost 30 years and was the last territory to die for a reason

1 Vince
2 Crocketts
3 Verne
4 Jerry Jarrett

I miss the days of the supernaturalisms (Undertaker's entrance & his battles with Papa Shango) the Heart foundation, Bushwhackers, Mr. Perfect ect ect.

Wrestling died when NWO came along and tried to make it more serious than it was supposed to be.

That's not true about Jerry Jarrett. He made plenty of money in Memphis until the early 90s. They'd pack the Mid-South Coliseum every Monday night until the WWF started Raw.

That's just what i've been told by many guys in the business, so IDK. But I will say that a packed house doesn't always mean money was made. I've seen promoters over book and over advertise to the point where they needed a lot of sponsors.

Rasslin is the strongest its been since the 90's at the moment
Between Lucha Underground, NXT, NJPW, ROH, PPW, Chikara, ICW and the rebirth of the NWA theres a lotta great stuff going on in rasslin right now problem is most people only flip the channels to Raw on Monday night and think thats all there is out there
Hell even TNA is doing some good stuff right now

The Jarretts never made money?
Yea you might wanna stop listening to idiots that think rasslin started in 1997
Jerry Jarrett ran one of the most successful promotions in rasslin for almost 30 years and was the last territory to die for a reason

1 Vince
2 Crocketts
3 Verne
4 Jerry Jarrett

I think they what were saying was that jarrett's promotions survived off marks and the business itself didn't make $.

Back