Jim Cornette - "Wrestling is Dead."

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by THE WARMASTER, Aug 11, 2015.

1. THE WARMASTER

THE WARMASTER Smell those Douglas firs

Stumbled across this video recently, and thought anyone who is or was a wrestling fan might find it interesting.

I haven't been a fan of wrestling for over a decade, but Jim Cornette was one of my favorite heels growing up in USWA/WWF.

Here he discusses his thoughts on pro-wrestling's decline, and also mentions the UFC, and how they've adopted old pro wrestling tricks to hype fights.

INB4 It's still real to me dammit lol.

[YT]IOjzJMuXpGo[/YT]

2. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

Jim Cornette is awesome. He has like several thousand shoot interviews and podcasts and shit, check out more of him bro. For me.

ArchGoat and Dusty Rhodes like this.
  3. Bobby Boulders

Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

Cornette is awesome. But I disagree. Wrestling is still going strong, Jarette just started a new promotion, while still being a share holder in TNA. Jarette is bringing back regional promotion, kinda. He got TNA where it is, let him work a while. You don't have to be WWE to find a slice of success in the field.

4. bandicoot

bandicoot Silver Belt

While I agree with some of his points, he's mostly just bitter that he's not in the business anymore. Wrestling will come back, it always does.

5. bandicoot

bandicoot Silver Belt

Me too. Loved when he would hit people with the tennis racket, lol.

6. SSgt Dickweed

SSgt Dickweed Black Belt

So he is basically saying that WWE killed wrestling just like Walmart killed mom and pop shops. That's globalization/corporate culture and not necessarily any particular person's "fault".

That being said, the monopoly created by WWE and the awful, awful PG era should deserve blame for a lot of people being uninterested with the business.

Mike likes this.
  7. Slick_36

Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

Didn't know you were a fan. Right on.
    There's totally a particular person at fault, Vince McMahon. The guy has way too much control, he's like a smarter much more tyrannical Dana White. Not that he's always smart, some of the shit he tries to pass off as humor is pretty fucking horrible. Wrestling is dead though. Vince abandoned the regional system, monopolized the sport, turned it in to a soap opera full of the bodybuilders he loves so much, and literally abandoned any and all use of the term of wrestling. Pro wrestling doesn't exist, it's all sports entertainment whatever the fuck that means.

I have to say, the behind the scenes stuff in pro wrestling is absolutely fascinating. Much more entertaining than anything pro wrestling actually has done. From the weird traditions and social structure, to the politics and management, to the athletes and personalities that have been involved. Just an endless amount of crazy stories. It's really crazy to think that these Indy guys that are carrying the sport are working their way up to reach the garbage that is the Vince McMahon show. The day him and his family (including HHH) leave pro wrestling, will be the day it has a chance of possibly coming back. Those people are too petty and delusional to create a good product.

Dusty Rhodes likes this.
  8. Bobby Boulders

Well... Not exactly. I was a fan, but I don't watch much these days. At all. But it doesn't stop me from keeping up with things I was a fan of in my younger years. Not WWE as it is, now, but wrestling in general, of which I was a fan. If that makes sense. I like the old school stuff, not really much anything going on now, although I did watch Wrestlemania and do try to watch the big shows. Wrestlemania was awesome.

Dusty Rhodes likes this.
  9. Slick_36

That's what I meant. I'm the same way. I haven't cared to watch an episode of Raw in a decade, can't stand 99% of it now actually, but the sport itself I have a weird passion for. I haven't kept up since Mitsuharu Misawa died, but I peak in to pro wrestling every once in awhile and see what's going on.

10. Bobby Boulders

I never really watched a lot of the Japanese stuff, although I know it was a more serious product. Although I did see some of Mick's death matches, namely vs Terry Funk. Jesus Christ...

11. S3VERE

S3VERE Purple Belt

I love listening to Corny rant.

One of my favorites right here

[YT]kaWyG6jXeaA[/YT]

"Sue my fuckin' ass and suck ma dick while your at it"

12. BAM

BAM Back in the saddle again

Cornette is talking about the 80's wrestling boom, nothing going on compares to it in North America.

There were around a dozen legit regional promotions running w/ great tv slots and two national promotions. Those regional promotions could all have events where they bring in thousands of people and bring in big time talent. Scrubs weren't let in, the talent knew what they were doing. On a big event, the regional promotions could fill an area/stadium 10-30k.

now you have the wwe and about 4 places that might get 1k people on one of their big events, anywhere else in the US and it's like 50-200 people. And the talent don't know how to "work" (ie the little things that make a talent connect with fans) and instead are just highlight reels w/ no sense in what they are doing

for Cornette, and what he grew up w/ in the 60's and 70's and did in the 80's, that's dead and ain't coming back.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Madmick likes this.
  13. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

Cornette is like Ross; people who came into the industry during the '70s, and have such an attachment to that era, that they refuse to advance or modernize their beliefs, and think wrestling should go backwards in time to when they liked wrestling the most.

Cornette also has very limited knowledge of MMA, and sees it through "wrestling eyes," IE: calling that one double knockout that happened on the regional scene a "finish," and thinking that the GSP greasegate was an "angle."

Very entertaining shooter, though.

14. Bobby Boulders

He an oldtimer looking back. Nothing wrong with that. Sure, wrestling will probably never be what it was in the 80's. That's bc now they're not doing kayfabe constantly and they're open to it being fake. The allure is dead. But is wrestling dead? Nah. He's just being an oldtimer.

15. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

He is correct. Wrestling nowdays is almost unwatchable. It used to be awesome back in the day, but any trace of awesomeness died a long time ago.

16. BAM

the problem isn't them, the problem is that the fundamentals of the business have been lost. What should have happened is that the fundamentals should have been kept and adapted and modernised. It has been completely lost.

the comparison is like traditional basketball (Ross, Cornette) and the And1 Mixtape Tour (sports entertainment). And1 abandoned fundamental basketball for flash and flair, and their games don't really mean anything to anyone. who wins who loses, who cares, it's about doing cool shit. NBA/NCAA, people care about the results, there it's about competition, fundamental basketball, a different type of subtle skill (Tim Duncans of the world).

Essentially, it would be like if all the Tim Duncans and Gary Paytons died and instead you got a bunch of Hot Sauces doing some really crazy shit in front of a small gym of people for peanuts. Who's Hot Sauce you might ask, exactly, google him, he's basketball equivalent of the modern wrestler.

TheGZA, TeTe, Madmick and 2 others like this.
  17. BAM

wrestling is dead, sports entertainment is still alive (WWE, TNA). It's not just branding - it's a style of storytelling in the ring, by the promotional personalities, and a way of doing business. what Cornette is talking about, it died mostly in the late 80's and got finished off in about 1997/1998 and went full on sport entertainment. Both can be good, but they are very different.

TeTe likes this.
  18. Slick_36

Excellent point in that the fundamentals were lost. I came in to after Dusty Rhodes had his run and never understood how he was so respected until I watched his matches and the ring psychology was really something else. I was a big spot guy before that, and I really saw how huge the little things were and how much you could get out of so little.

Hell yeah! Terry Funk is the shit! My dad used to ride in rodeos with his daughter and would spend the night at his house. Told me some awesome stories he told him. I met him at Panhandle Nationals when I was a kid and chilled with him as him and my dad talked. I had no idea how huge a legend the guy was then, I took it for granted. In the 11 years I wrestled (youth and high school), 75% of it was done in Amarillo. I'm pretty proud to have wrestled in the same arena as so many legendary guys before they tore it down.

19. FloridaCracker

FloridaCracker Dirty, Stinky, Greasy

Cornette is stuck in the past but he does have a point. Everything is too scripted nowadays and there's no territory system for wrestlers to get experience.
    It's too bad Pride never took off in the US and went under because they could've provided the legitimate competition that Vince desperately needs.

20. Slick_36

It's the wrong people scripting it too. You have soap opera writers trying to write for an entirely different medium, it just doesn't work. The best mic work has always been when guys have had the freedom to improvise and be themselves or themselves as the cartoon characters they imagine. That is totally gone and even punished now.

There's a lot of weird psychology in pro wrestling that people don't really see, and it's just being lost more and more. It's a system that was chaotic but it worked, now it's structured and it's not the same at all and for the worst.

Dusty Rhodes likes this.