What about Bob?
Stripes
Lost in Translation
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Caddyshack

I like Bill, but Jim takes it for me.

That list doesn't even include

giphy.webp

Jim for me but I've seen mostly all of his stuff and havent seen as much of Bills.

Murray via destruction

caddyshack.gif

There's a reason Tallahassee was looking to stay in BM's mansion and not Carrey's

Murray pretty handily. That list doesn't even include Ghostbusters 2, Meatballs, St. Vincent, Tootsie, The Razor's Edge, Mad Dog and Glory, Ed Wood, etc.

Completely agree. And I like Carrey and think he's given good performances even outside of his usual wheelhouse type of role. But in terms of overall career and in terms of longevity and current relevance, Murray takes it hands down in my opinion.

Completely agree. And I like Carrey and think he's given good performances even outside of his usual wheelhouse type of role. But in terms of overall career and in terms of longevity and current relevance, Murray takes it hands down in my opinion.

I would say Carrey in Eternal Sunshine probably matches a number of Bill Murray performances that would be competing for his best.

Comedy wise, I always much preferred Murray's sarcasm and dry delivery to Carrey's dancing around and silly faces.

I would say Carrey in Eternal Sunshine probably matches a number of Bill Murray performances that would be competing for his best.

Comedy wise, I always much preferred Murray's sarcasm and dry delivery to Carrey's dancing around and silly faces.

The difference when it comes to genre, for me, is that Carrey in a dramatic performance shows more range, more ability to inhabit different types of characters while leaving the baggage of his persona behind.

Eternal Sunshine and Man on the Moon are probably the best examples of that to me. As much praise as he got for The Truman Show, a recent rewatch has me convinced that it was still very much a typical Carrey portrayal just in a more seriously-toned film.

When you watch Man on the Moon or Eternal Sunshine, it’s just him committing to a very different type of performance and he’s very good at it.

Murray is sort of always Murray isnt he? And it’s great but I think that his persona tends to transcend whatever film he is in.

The difference when it comes to genre, for me, is that Carrey in a dramatic performance shows more range, more ability to inhabit different types of characters while leaving the baggage of his persona behind.

Eternal Sunshine and Man on the Moon are probably the best examples of that to me. As much praise as he got for The Truman Show, a recent rewatch has me convinced that it was still very much a typical Carrey portrayal just in a more seriously-toned film.

When you watch Man on the Moon or Eternal Sunshine, it’s just him committing to a very different type of performance and he’s very good at it.

Murray is sort of always Murray isnt he? And it’s great but I think that his persona tends to transcend whatever film he is in.

Yeah Murray is usually Murray. But at the same time, if he has a poignant moment or performance it's kind of because "Bill Murray" was a broader personality than 1990s Jim Carrey. When Jim Carrey stopped goofing around 100% of the time it was kind of shocking - the same with Adam Sandler - so people stopped and said whoa this guy can act.

Murray always did a bit more than either play a screaming manchild or a rubber faced manic so when he stretched his boundaries a little more it kind of just fell under more "Bill Murray."

That said, I haven't really seen Murray go for it very often the way Sandler or Carrey have with Spanglish or Reign Over Me or Eternal Sunshine or the first half of Funny People.

So what you say isn't untrue.

I feel like Murray is in more classic films but I gotta be in the right mood to watch them.

Jim is in stuff that I feel has more of a casual rewatchablility.
He has a few movies that I will 100 percent keep on till the end if I catch them at any point.

As far as Bills movies alot of them after the initial viewing just have a handful of scenes I might want to check out but may or may not want to sit around and wait for based on the situation I am in at the time.

I did vote for bill though because I think he makes better films.
Good doesnt always = rewatchablility though.

Jim is way more talented imo but Bill's been in better movies. He is notoriously picky about his work.

Jim is no slouch...not my cup of tea but great career.

Bill is a juggernaut. Possibly goat comedic actor...this is not even close

That's a brutal mismatch

Yeah, Eternal Sunshine is great - but Billy just counters with Groundhog Day, one of the best and most important films of all time.
Never seen Groundhog Day, should I find it and watch it?

Back