Jihadists in Syria kill 102 year old + son, grandson, granddaughter, daughter in law.

Obama is hellbent on continuing this bloodshed too. 3 billion dollars on the way to those guys to help them kill even more innocent people. this would have been over by now without international involvement from the US.

Although you'll find few people more disgusted by our involvement than me, the reality is that the jihadis are primarily funded by our Gulf "allies", and aren't exactly using sophisticated U.S. weaponry. That's part of why it's so ridiculous that we are doing even more funding, it will do fuck-all except implicate the US further on the losing side no less.

You just don't need much funding for low-level insurrections like this. People always want to cry foreign involvement, but AKs and IEDs are dirt cheap.

Although you'll find few people more disgusted by our involvement than me, the reality is that the jihadis are primarily funded by our Gulf "allies", and aren't exactly using sophisticated U.S. weaponry. That's part of why it's so ridiculous that we are doing even more funding, it will do fuck-all except implicate the US further on the losing side no less.

You just don't need much funding for low-level insurrections like this. People always want to cry foreign involvement, but AKs and IEDs are dirt cheap.

I think it's simply a really petty and butt hurt ex girlfriendish lame attempt at getting back at Putin for really making Obama look weak and incompotent a while back.

I think it's simply a really petty and butt hurt ex girlfriendish lame attempt at getting back at Putin for really making Obama look weak and incompotent a while back.

I think it's more an attempt to mollify our blood-crazed Saudi allies, who have been going absolutely nuts pulling every lever in their hands trying to get the US to attack the Shiites.

This is basically our way of claiming we have done something, sorry it didn't work, oh well's.

If the Saudis had any balls they would've just taken a professional Saudi army north and fought themselves. Instead they keep trying to get other people to do it for them.

Its murder either way. If you bomb a house block to kill one guy then you purposly killed all the other people living there.

What the fuck? You do realize that US-employed bombing is at its most efficient (i.e. lowest proportion of unintended casualties) in history, right? I can't think of a single recent incident of the US carpet bombing.

I think it's more an attempt to mollify our blood-crazed Saudi allies, who have been going absolutely nuts pulling every lever in their hands trying to get the US to attack the Shiites.

This is basically our way of claiming we have done something, sorry it didn't work, oh well's.

If the Saudis had any balls they would've just taken a professional Saudi army north and fought themselves. Instead they keep trying to get other people to do it for them.

It's probably a combination of the two. Obama can't stop messing with Putin, and I think Putin thinks it's kind of funny.

It doesn't matter anymore. As long as the Saudis exist they will pump money in. The Obama admin is just keeping it up for show; the 'light weapons' and 'aid' and cia training.. the bloodshed will continue with or without them.

Once you've given these terrorists a foothold in the country they will never leave until every single one of them is blown to bits.

It also doesn't help that you have Turkey funneling in scores of jihadists every single day.

You have a tyrant that doesn't want to lose power fighting Islamic warriors and in between you have the majority of the country voting the tyrant into power because they don't want to be blown up and killed in their sleep.

It is a messed up situation.

It doesn't matter anymore. As long as the Saudis exist they will pump money in. The Obama admin is just keeping it up for show; the 'light weapons' and 'aid' and cia training.. the bloodshed will continue with or without them.

Once you've given these terrorists a foothold in the country they will never leave until every single one of them is blown to bits.

It also doesn't help that you have Turkey funneling in scores of jihadists every single day.

You have a tyrant that doesn't want to lose power fighting Islamic warriors and in between you have the majority of the country voting the tyrant into power because they don't want to be blown up and killed in their sleep.

It is a messed up situation.

It's also good to know that these are the same people that we were fighting in Iraq back in '06, coming accross the border in droves..

It's also good to know that these are the same people that we were fighting in Iraq back in '06, coming accross the border in droves..

Iraq, The-stans, Libya and other African nations, Qatar, Chechens and more quality people. Probably got the Iraq band plus more.

Iraq, The-stans, Libya and other African nations, Qatar, Chechens and more quality people. Probably got the Iraq band plus more.

I'm talking specifically Syrian members of the Muslim brotherhood coming into Iraq to attack American troops

I'm talking specifically Syrian members of the Muslim brotherhood coming into Iraq to attack American troops

I see. I'm guessing they carry their passports and whatever else.

That isn't exactly how it works in the middle east...

Haha. I only say that because in generation kill, they found a jihadi's passport on his body and he was from Syria.

Though I could imagine piles of unidentifiable dead bodies.

Haha. I only say that because in generation kill, they found a jihadi's passport on his body and he was from Syria.

Though I could imagine piles of unidentifiable dead bodies.

Got ya. Syria and Iraq are really tightly connected. At least the people. What you had in Iraq was a Sunni Minority dominating a Shia Majority. Syria is a a Shia minority in command of a Sunni Majority. Sounds dumb to us, more than enough to start a civil war and several generations of blood feuds to them.

If US really wanted to fight terrorism, it would support a secular Assad regime. However, that was never the goal, so it arms the religious fundamentalist filled opposition.

You want America to support the Russian-satalite state regime? You know the only difference is that Assad kills civilians in the name of secularism and AQ kills civilians in the name of religion, right...?

You want America to support the Russian-satalite state regime? You know the only difference is that Assad kills civilians in the name of secularism and AQ kills civilians in the name of religion, right...?

This is pretty religious on both sides. It's a Sunni/Shia thing.

This is pretty religious on both sides. It's a Sunni/Shia thing.

Not entirely. The Middle East has long had a tradition of quasi-secular dictators who have squashed religious rivalry beneath their authoritarian feet.

What we see over and over again is that when you remove one of these authoritarian secularist dictators, the populace goes fucking nuts because they have no decent civil society to turn to. In the collapse of strong central authority, only the religious extremists gain.

Assad is an Alawite, not exactly a Shiite. He is much more like Mubarak or Saddam -- a secularized dictator presiding over a volatile mix of social factions, where if you take the authoritarian control out the dominant religious faction is likely to go nuts and oppress everybody else.

Yeah the vast majority of funding and weapons has been through Saudi and Qatar but the US has been supplying TOW missiles.

I wonder if it is telling that Syria despite have a clear Sunni majority can't defeat Assad (even accounting for Hez) ; I did read that even many Sunnis reluctantly prefer Assad over the Jihadis.

Back