News Jessica Andrade says Shevchenko is P4P #1 WMMA fighter, not Amanda Nunes

Shevchenko beat Nunes in the rematch so I don't see anything wrong with this statement

Also Nunes has been finished multiple times by people who aren't even in the UFC anymore

It's going to be hard for Val to really stand out because her opposition is kind of mediocre. Who else is there for Val to fight? I can only think of Lauren Murphy (4 fight winning streak).

Lauren Murphy = 4 fight winning streak...gotta be next in line to fight Val
Viviane Araujo = 8 wins 2 losses, very good record
Chookagian = already beat
Joanne Calderwood (one fight winning streak, 2-2 in her last four fights)
Cynthia Calvillo just lost to Chookagian
Jennifer Maia = already beat
Jessica Eye = already beat
Roxanne Moddaferi = very average record

Depends on what your criteria are. Val is BY FAR the most skilled WMMA fighter. Her technical striking is the best in WMMA and her sambo/judo/wrestling is top notch. Her JJ is good, but we haven't seen too much of it.

Amanda has otherworldly power for a woman, but she's not touching Val's skill level.

It's so cute reading all the posts saying Val won the rematch with certainty, as if its a fact. I mean how delusional do you have to be to convince yourself about some alternate reality that never happened.

Get over it people. Nunes won the first one clearly and won a very close rematch.

Valentina is fighting 115 pounders who cut less weight to make 125.

Which makes the complaints about Nunes's size even more hilarious. Valentina is amazing because she beat Joanna, but Nunes's wins over Valentina don't count because she's bigger, fucking LOL. It's so unfair to Valentina that she had to fight at 135, but let's ignore how Nunes destroyed everyone at 145.

If you agree to fight someone at a certain weight and your opponent makes that weight, you lose the right to complain about size. But then, what would Valentina and her fans have left to complain about?

Schevchenko has the second most impressive resume among WMMA athletes in the UFC. But if she keeps racking up wins and Nunes retires, she may one day surpass her. I have two hang-ups when it comes to Valentina being the P4P#1 among women. First, she doesn't finish as many fights as Nunes. Second, her fight with Sarah Kaufman. Schevchenko was clearly going to lose against Kaufman and was really lucky it wasn't a 5 round fight. Kaufman is no slouch, but it is a strike against Schevchenko's P4P#1 status, IMO. Nunes has beaten everyone to ever hold the 125, 135 or 145 belts in the UFC (except Nicco...who, let's face it, Nunes would obliterate). I mean, that's just an insane accomplishment.

Jarl

Yes, I think if it was a 5 round fight Kaufman would have beaten Shev. By the third round Kaufman was figuring out Val's gameplan. By that time it was too late since Val already won the first two rounds.

Based on skill maybe, but you can’t argue Nunes is the WMMA GOAT based on resume. Schev moved up and lost to Nunes while Nunes moved up and flatlined Cyborg.

Pretty much. They're both great though. One of the few times I'm looking forward to WMMA and twice on the same card.

I think Val is a more complete fighter when we compare her to Nunes, but what is Nunes fault if Val can't beat her?
So, fuck off, Nunes is the best ever.

WTF, it's absolutely the best accomplishment in WMMA history and much better than anything Valentina has ever done.

LOL "the best in wmma history." You say that likes its some sort of accomplishment.
<Dany07>

Valentina is clearly more skilled and a better p4p fighter than Nunes

It depends on whether you see the p4p ranking as a skillset thing or a resume thing or some combo of the two that usually derives down to which fighter you like better.

I see p4p as a skillset thing, always have. So I would put Valentina as the p4p best female fighter now and overall in the UFC women's history. Resume-wise, it's Nunes.

While that part is impressive, then she proceed to panic wrestle GDR for 4 out of 5 rounds, and went to a decision with a bloated 135er in Spencer, she did put Cyborg away in 1 minute, but mostly because Cyborg went into that exchange and got connected (either one could had won that imo), not because of pure skill.
This is MMA why not outgrapple GDR? Spencer is a solid fighter and but could fight at 135 tbf. Think you're taking a lot away from Amanda cos she kicked out Cyborgs lead leg before the firefight where she got the knockout, she knew what she was doing. That being said idk if a rematch would have gone the same. All in all she's beat everyone but before her so it's hard to say Nunes isn't #1

Back