Jerks at during BJJ training

chunglii

No Me Duele
@Titanium
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm an orange belt in BJJ and this new kid has been coming to clases for about 8 months, maybe a year. He is 17, a junior, and I'm a sophmore. At first he was quiet, willing to learn, good at picking up techniques. He trained in Muay Thai, and a kid who I train with got him into BJJ. But now that hes gotten to know us and the academy, hes openning up more, and being more of himself, and his personality is really douche bag-like. He got his yellow belt, and now he thinks hes the baddest dude on the planet. He doesnt like to learn the techniques, and instead he tries to power out of everything. He talks crap about the higher belts, and disrespects me to my face during training, and I'm a higher belt, more skilled than him, and I've been training longer!

What I've been doing is making it a point to tap him as many times during rolling. I don't go full blast on him, and dont need to since he doesnt like to use the techniques. Is it bad that I try to make it more of a point to tap him than normal? Remember, I'M still using all my training and techniques, not going full retard just to tap him.

Also, should I report him to my instructor if he continues to do what he does(insult me, the other blue and purple belts, not pay attention to techniques)?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother talking about it with the instructors... if he's such an obvious douchebag they'll probably be well aware of it already. If your better than him, just keep giving him a healthy dose of reality until he gets humbled or quits.

Where do you train by the way, I've never heard of a 17 year old yellow belt.

Ignore , Ignore , Ignore.

He'll come to a point where he realizes that his game isn't evolving. About the disrespect, also go with the ignore. Just don't talk to em keep convos short he'll get the point after a while.

just wondering, but exactly how is he insulting you and the others?

Ahh the high school tough guy. Brings back memories. I would say just ignore him for the most part, but I like the fact that you used his negative actions as a positive motivator for yourself in making him tap more. Just keep using positive outlets like that. Like my dad always said, if you see dog crap on the sidewalk are you going to step into it or step around it? It was just his way of saying don't waste your energy on dousche bags, surround yourself with winners and you'll be just fine.

I wouldn't bother talking about it with the instructors... if he's such an obvious douchebag they'll probably be well aware of it already. If your better than him, just keep giving him a healthy dose of reality until he gets humbled or quits.

Where do you train by the way, I've never heard of a 17 year old yellow belt.

My instructor has actuallt talked to his instructor about it, and both have noticed. The reason he has a yellow belt at 17 is because he comes to train at the juvenile clases(ages 12 to around 18). These classes mostly consist on teenagers. He's at a point where he does qualify to be ranked in the adult ranks, but since he does not go to adult classes, my instructor decided to promote him within the juvenile belt system, then when he is ready, he can be ranked in the adult ranks.

I train at Fabio Santos' Academy in San Diego, CA, under Alex Brandao

just wondering, but exactly how is he insulting you and the others?

He'l say things like "Yea, so you ready to get armbarred right now?" as we get ready to roll, even though hes never hit on in training. He'll also say "So, do you wanna start off easy? I'll give you in the mount, then we can start rolling." "Let's have an MMA match dude, I'll bring my gloves!"

I'll give him the advantage of being ontop, and I'll have guard and he STILL loses

He'l say things like "Yea, so you ready to get armbarred right now?" as we get ready to roll, even though hes never hit on in training. He'll also say "So, do you wanna start off easy? I'll give you in the mount, then we can start rolling." "Let's have an MMA match dude, I'll bring my gloves!"

I'll give him the advantage of being ontop, and I'll have guard and he STILL loses

sounds like he's just messing around..

let douches be douches. don't be a douche. limit your interaction with him, and as far as others knowing he's a douche, it will be known if it isn't already.

Similar thing happened to me. The whole class the kid was being a dick then when we did sparring, I tapped him out six times in the two minute roll. It felt so good. Didn't roll with him in classes after that but I hope it made a point. IMO, unless you have been training over 3 years in No-Gi or your a blue belt or higher there is no reason to act like you know everything and disregard advice.

I make sure with most guys I roll with that I ask questions about certain things they did in the roll and what they noticed with me during it. You can only excel after you acknowledge you aren't the best.

487rev.jpg

The correct response is to immediately threaten/challenge/insult him in return, but with a smile on your face so that he knows your comments are made in jest. This is the first step to becoming bros.

I think you have Asperger's, you probably should go see a doctor.

lol seriously. Either he really bad at being sarcastic or do you just not pick up on social cues... You think hes serious when asks a purple belts if he should go easy? Sounds like hes just kidding around.

that nothing, one day i was sparring in class and someone tried to armbar me...

really though... maybe hes just a more light hearted person than you, maybe he thinks youve got your head up your arse?

maybe im wasting my time replying to this thread...

the guy is 17, think about when you were 17 (i dunno how old you are now, if youre younger than 25 you might not get what i mean)

Toughen up. Prepare to meet more of those people throughout your martial arts career.

IMO, unless you have been training over 3 years in No-Gi or your a blue belt or higher there is no reason to act like you know everything and disregard advice.

IMO, there's never a time in your life when you should act like you know everything and disregard advice. I think the best fighters/grapplers around will be the most humbled, and always willing to take advice...make sense??

lol, the other day I told a blackbelt that I would take it easy on him... hope he doesn't make a thread about me on here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back