Jeremy Lin: What marks did he get to be accepted into Harvard?

Haha. Paris got destroyed itt

No one gets into Harvard with a C+ average. No one.

Next time you make up a story, try to make it at least a little realistic.

I know, right? What a blatant lie lmao.

No one with a sub 3.0 GPA is going to make it into an Ivy unless their parents donated a shit load of money. It's funny that people bitch about minorities getting preference when there are kids getting legacy admissions.

I thought it was actually harder for Asians to get into the top schools

"Affirmative action" requirements vary depending on state. Some states, like Michigan, have voted to outlaw using race as a factor in admissions and the Supreme Court upheld the right of the voters to outlaw it if they choose.

I know the way California administers AA being Asian doesn't help you very much. It's all about being under-represented on college campuses here and the Asian student population is comparable to the white student population at schools like UCLA and Cal.

Being Asian they just opened the door and said come on in.. My sister has the misfortune of being white. She was 2nd in her class with a 1380 SAT's.. They wait listed her but took African Ameicans and Asians with C+ averages..

1380 and you were shocked she didn't get into Harvard? Dafuq.

1380 is a great score but still no where near Ivy League caliber.

Exactly. High demand schools like Harvard are very selective. I had a 1490 and got a flat out 'no' from them. The people in my high school who got in were 1550+.

Yes, when Lin took it the test was on the 1600 scale for sure.

College acceptance is based on a lot more than just SAT scores and GPA.

People talk about ivy league as if they are the best colleges in america.

harvard really is one of the best though. im assuming the guy came in with a basketball scholarship too. High levels of success in extracurricular play a big role.

Being Asian they just opened the door and said come on in.. My sister has the misfortune of being white. She was 2nd in her class with a 1380 SAT's.. They wait listed her but took African Ameicans and Asians with C+ averages..

Harvard does not have a large minority base. Now I dont know what the jews are considered. But the reason you sister who is white did not get acceptance is not because of affirmative action took up the spots. Instead it is more because she does not have the connections.

If it is so hard for asian people to get into college, then why are the UC system have so many asians?

harvard really is one of the best though. im assuming the guy came in with a basketball scholarship too. High levels of success in extracurricular play a big role.

It is based on more than just SATs. But you're not getting into an Ivy League school with a 1380 SAT.

1380 is closer to the next tier of schools. On the east coast, the Boston Colleges, Dukes (pushing it), Georgetowns, Villanovas, etc.

Exactly. High demand schools like Harvard are very selective. I had a 1490 and got a flat out 'no' from them. The people in my high school who got in were 1550+.

Yep it's just so competitive getting into those schools. I've seen people with perfects SATs not get in.

The average SAT score at harvard last year was 2120, the equivalent of 1413 on a 1600 point scale.

Edit: read the source material wrong. The 25th percentile has an average equivalent score of 1413.

Last edited:

Yes, this. People think Ivy Leagues base their decisions on academic success alone. They want well-rounded individuals, not just a person who gets high scores.

That is incorrect. Asian folks are not minorities when it comes to academia. Maybe if they are Burmese, they might catch a break

The guy was an awesome HS b ball player an no doubt smart. The ivy league schools and to an extent others (duke, Stanford,UVA, etc) dont lower their standards much for athletics, but they love well rounded individuals. It just depends.

I got a 1470 back in the 1600 days, and got into every school I applied to. Duke, w & m, cal, UCLA, ucsd, stanford. The only ivy league school I applied to was Cornell, and I got in and easily could have played b ball there. I had solid grades and scores, but I was at least all conference in 3 sports also. Thats why I got into alot of these schools. Ended up going to a party school and attempting to walkon the bball team (nationally ranked in the last ten years or so). Only made the practice team, but I guarantee I had a much better and easier time in college than if I went to those better schools.

Then again my degree is essentially worthless too, so theres that

The guy was an awesome HS b ball player an no doubt smart. The ivy league schools and to an extent others (duke, Stanford,UVA, etc) dont lower their standards much for athletics, but they love well rounded individuals. It just depends.

Duke and Harvard (since Ammaker at least) lower standards for athletes a lot. Back in 97, the average SAT score for the freshman players were 400 points less than a non-athlete (and less than the HS senior average). That was when they were still squeaky clean Duke, recruiting 4 year players.

Back