Jeff Novitzky on Rogan Podcast Today

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by 1rawdog, Aug 18, 2015.

1. 1rawdog

1rawdog Orange Belt

The new PED Sheriff is supposed to be on today. From what I know he is a very straight shooter. Hopefully he talks alot about how far the testers are behind the cowboy chemists and weight cutting. http://joerogan.net/

2. karatekick1

karatekick1 Banned Banned

Fucking awesome, thanks.

Looking forward to this.

3. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

Dude sounds for real so far. love the policy on weed.

4. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

He was also on MMAHour. think hes doing the rounds.

Notable bits from mma hour peice

+ Main point of detection for IV use will be the ABP (Athlete biological passport)
    + Whereabouts system not in place till october 1st (as thought, teaching fighters they have to say where they will be every day for 3 months at a time was something of a task)

So they wont be on FULL random testing quite yet.

on mmahour (1h20 in)

5. 1rawdog

1rawdog Orange Belt

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. ralphus1

ralphus1 Extremely stable genius

Looking forward to this, would love to get his take on why the feds suddenly dropped all charges against Barry Bonds when they basically had him dead to rights for perjury after his steroid testimony.

7. 1rawdog

1rawdog Orange Belt

I'm only 2/3 of the way thru and I'm not gonna do cliff's but lot's of good info in this podcast. Joe asks more real life questions then I've heard other interviewers ask and they are well answered. Anyone with interest or who has ever argued in a post here should have a listen if you want get it straight about -

Designer Drugs and other undetectable stuff
    Microdosing and other testing avoidance
    Gene manipulation and future technology
    The stress and pressure that cheating puts on an athlete
    Urine vs blood tests
    IV ban and weight classes
    Contaminated supplements
    The ufc's new program

8. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Red Belt

Can he shoot like his brother?

9. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

Same reason they dropped the armstrong case quietly superbowl weekend. Livestrong greased a bunch of palms, pulled in some favours, senator pressure, case closed.

Watch the podcast. Rogan cracks 10-12 jokes, Jeff doesnt smile once :D

10. Frank23

Frank23 Enter Sandman Belt Platinum Member

[YT]rR7IqzwgGeU[/YT]

11. ArkhamAsylum

ArkhamAsylum Black Belt

Awesome stuff here. Regarding IV's, Jeff Novitzky just pointed to studies that show that the blood brain barrier is the LAST thing to rehydrate and can take up to 72 hours... So extreme weight cutters are still at a huge risk for brain damage, IV's or not.

Crazy stuff.

12. Billy Blanks

Billy Blanks Orange Belt

Enjoyed this podcast. Lots of good points.

13. ArkhamAsylum

ArkhamAsylum Black Belt

45:15 I'm pretty sure Joe is talking about Jose Aldo and Brazil here.

14. Billy Blanks

Billy Blanks Orange Belt

Joe mentioned a fighter in his 20's that was on TRT, I'm assuming he was talking about Duffee?

15. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

I thought that was the most notable thing in the entire discussion. Jeff also touched on how the NCAA cleaned up weight cutting. Many people don't realize how much of a turnaround it was for collegiate wrestling.

Wrestlers were dropping like flies in my day (I am 35 and was still wrestling when three student athletes died in a year) and that has been essentially eradicated.

MMA needs hydration tests and a weight certification protocol in place. Even as a high school wrestler, a medical doctor would have to clear me pre-season for the lowest weight I was qualified to wrestle.

Right now MMA is essentially YOLO rules. If you can show up half dead on the scale, that qualifies you. That is what needs to change. The method of re-hydration is not the problem.

16. waiguoren

waiguoren Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Agree wit h this.

17. ArkhamAsylum

ArkhamAsylum Black Belt

01:35:00-01:45:00 ish - Turns out "tainted suppliments" is a LEGIT excuse that happens A LOT. They show a HUGE list on the USASA website of known off the shelf suppliments that will pop you with a positive steroid result.

Crazy.

18. Verace

Verace Gold Belt

Of course the ufc guy is going to provide some kind of shit that supports his interests.

Not sure if believable. Needs more research. Everybody says something different regarding this issue.

19. 1rawdog

1rawdog Orange Belt

I can't remember exactly what he, the "VP of Health and Performance", said in this interview or others but the UFC is doing at least one thing really smart here. Either directly or indirectly they keep pointing out about how they are concerned about the athletes health and how they are doing everything they know how to do to protect it.

A real cynic may say they are only looking to cover their asses for future liabilty issues. How can you argue with an organization that is looking to protect it's members from getting hurt though?

One of the other things he brought up that I liked was that (my interpretation) at least part of the plan was to make doping so complicated and stressfull that most of the athletes would give up cause it was not worth the hassle.

He seems to be drilling home the message about how they will have more and more ability to go back and test old sample years later too, I wonder what effect that will have?

I think these strategies may have a shot at bringing about some small amount of cultural change which brings me to my next point.

I find this all very interesting to talk about but personally I am way more interested in training, nutrition, supplementation etc than the politics. Reason being is that the future, in a general way is too clear to me.

IMO the testers will never catch up to emerging technologies, they are behind already. Same as in the rest of the world if you have buckets of money you will be able to push right through all this annoying testing, the guys who it will take the advantage away from are the guys who can not afford to pay for a high end program. The difference between the have's and the have not's will get wide and wider. It's already been happening for years just like in real life.

20. MMA

MMA Silver Belt Platinum Member

The testers don't really have to catch up though. If they do that thing where they keep the samples and test them later, whatever guys are on now they'll pop for down the line.

a really good deterrent beats a really good enforcement any day.