Jeff Mayweather knows who Floyd is gonna fight

he was definitely asking the right questions, but he was being too pressing with them. He got the most he could have out of mayweather but kept pressing him stupidly and rudely. At the end of the day, he's in Jeff's gym, he should have been more respectful, his tone just came off as rude. Beyond that, it sounded almost like he was trying to paint Floyd out as a duck. Jeff isn't particularly smart, but he kept his cool well.

i think its pretty clear the interviewer doesnt like Jeff. they must have some sort of feud going on

read ESPN or facebook comments anytime he is mentioned, it will most definitely affect his legacy, especially among the majority (casuals).

Casuals and everyday sports fan view him 100% responsible, even more so with this current situation. So yea purists and historians will say he's ATG, casual fan will refer to him as the guy scared to fight manny

You can't base a persons legacy on what they didn't do, that makes no sense.

Fans wanted Bowe vs Lewis but now that Lewis and Bowe are retired, it hasn't disqualified Lewis from being an AT great fighter. Bowe just got into the HOF.

The lack of Pac on Floyds record doesn't mean he didnt fight Oscar, Corrales, Hatton, Mosley, Cotto etc etc etc.

Serious question, why is it that only Floyds legacy is the one that will be negatively effected? Why don't you guys think Pac needs to fight Floyd to be considered a good fighter?

Fans wanted Bowe vs Lewis but now that Lewis and Bowe are retired, it hasn't disqualified Lewis from being an AT great fighter. Bowe just got into the HOF.

The lack of Pac on Floyds record doesn't mean he didnt fight Oscar, Corrales, Hatton, Mosley, Cotto etc etc etc.

Serious question, why is it that only Floyds legacy is the one that will be negatively effected? Why don't you guys think Pac needs to fight Floyd to be considered a good fighter?

this is the casual view. Seriously go look at any article on ESPN or FB or wherever regarding floyd vs pac. 99% of posts are floyd u scared, quack, etc. etc. with the occasional floyd fanboi saying it's Pac's fault.

Pac gets a pass because of his personality and the perception that he's trying to make it happen while floyd isnt'

right or wrong that's how it will go down to the majority of sports fans. I think this will show too if floyd fights khan or cotto id bet his PPV will be down

this is the casual view. Seriously go look at any article on ESPN or FB or wherever regarding floyd vs pac. 99% of posts are floyd u scared, quack, etc. etc. with the occasional floyd fanboi saying it's Pac's fault.

Pac gets a pass because of his personality and the perception that he's trying to make it happen while floyd isnt'

right or wrong that's how it will go down to the majority of sports fans

I have always figured it was pretty much because fans like one guys personality but not the others. Its refreshing to see someone admit it , at least.
20 years from now, personalities will be forgotten and fighters will still be judged based on what they did, like they always have.

It most certainly impacts his legacy if he never fights the second best guy in his weight class and the biggest threat to him, this is where we are at now seriously?

Last edited:
OP is the interviewer by the way. He's done many interviews with Jeff Mayweather so I'm sure they're on friendly enough terms to have an interview like this. And the interviewer doesn't need to paint Floyd as a duck. That is the public's perception of him based on the history of this fight not getting made. Turning this fight down again and again has hurt Floyd's image. That is most definitely a relevant question to ask.

Pryor-Mayweather and RJJ-Michalzewski were definitely important fights that should have happened, but I don't believe they are comparable either. MAYBE Leonard/Pryor legacy wise, but it's not like that would've been the biggest money fight of all time like Pac/Mayweather would.

Suppose he ducked Tyson too.

I have always figured it was pretty much because fans like one guys personality but not the others. Its refreshing to see someone admit it , at least.
20 years from now, personalities will be forgotten and fighters will still be judged based on what they did, like they always have.

Plenty of people - including supposedly intelligent and objective hardcore fans and (what passes for modern day boxing) journalists - very much buy into the public personas of both men. It's hilarious.

The lack of Pac on Floyds record doesn't mean he didnt fight Oscar, Corrales, Hatton, Mosley, Cotto etc etc etc

Of course a legacy is not entirely based on what somebody does not do, but it is still influenced by it.

Bowe's legacy is influenced by the fact that he ducked Lewis. People bring it up all the time, including you I believe. Some people even said it should keep him out of the Hall. So obviously just because he still made the Hall of Fame does not mean his legacy didn't take a hit.

Nothing Floyd can do at this point will keep him out of the Hall of Fame or keep him from being mentioned in the conversation about all time great fighters. But often times when that conversation occurs, the fact that he did not fight Pacquiao will come up. That does not change his existing resume, which is impressive, but of course it is still an effect on his legacy.

Of course a legacy is not entirely based on what somebody does not do, but it is still influenced by it.

Bowe's legacy is influenced by the fact that he ducked Lewis. People bring it up all the time, including you I believe. Some people even said it should keep him out of the Hall. So obviously just because he still made the Hall of Fame does not mean his legacy didn't take a hit.

Nothing Floyd can do at this point will keep him out of the Hall of Fame or keep him from being mentioned in the conversation about all time great fighters. But often times when that conversation occurs, the fact that he did not fight Pacquiao will come up. That does not change his existing resume, which is impressive, but of course it is still an effect on his legacy.

Bowe is remembered for his fights with Holyfield and his achievments in the ring, not because he didn't fight Lewis.

To me, Bowe just doesn't really have a very strong resume outside of the Holyfield trilogy. That my crticism of Bowe as a great fighter.

And, by the same token, the fact that Pacquiao didn't fight Mayweather should come up when we're discussing Manny, as well. No matter what, both are going to be looked at as clearly the best fighters of their era and two of the better fighters to ever compete. Not fighting each other will be a stain, but it will be a negligible stain in the grand scheme of things. History will likely place Floyd higher than Manny, but most people don't really care that much about history so that's not a huge deal, either.

A fighters legacy is based on who they fought so I agree not fighting Pac doesn't hurt Floyd legacy. Beating Pac could enhance Floyds legacy, sure. But legacy is based on what you actually did.

One fight that fans wanted to see and didn't doesn't erase a decade at the top of the P4P list fighting top ranked competition and its not really surprising to see who is arguing that it would.

IMO you're underplaying it. This is the biggest duck in boxing's history. The two clear P4P best fighters on the planet, swapping the top spot btw them for 6/7 years and the same fucking weight....!
Mayweather's standing may improve over time, as with most fighters but I fear 'Duck' will be the overriding thought of the casual masses when Floyd is mentioned after he retires.

It should definitely affect Pac's legacy negatively as well if he doesn't Floyd. But public perception is Floyd is ducking Manny, so will hurt Floyd's legacy more. Doesn't really matter who actually ducked who, perception is everything.

6 years of talk of this potential match-up has forever linked Pac and Floyd's names together, so yes it will affect their legacies if this fight doesn't happen

right or wrong that's how it will go down to the majority of sports fans. I think this will show too if floyd fights khan or cotto id bet his PPV will be down

The facts are the facts. I've seen stupid people thinking Manny gets a pass because he's "likable." Sorry, but the majority of the fans and the media aren't blaming Floyd just because Manny's got a cute smile or some shit. That's moron logic. Although a lot of their negotiations have been behind closed doors, enough has been made public for people to form their own opinions. People look at Floyd turning this fight down multiple times and rightly criticize him for it. It's amazing how some people think Floyd's completely innocent here.

The facts are the facts. I've seen stupid people thinking Manny gets a pass because he's "likable." Sorry, but the majority of the fans and the media aren't blaming Floyd just because Manny's got a cute smile or some shit. That's moron logic. Although a lot of their negotiations have been behind closed doors, enough has been made public for people to form their own opinions. People look at Floyd turning this fight down multiple times and rightly criticize him for it. It's amazing how some people think Floyd's completely innocent here.

What? Who, exactly? I only ever notice the opposite; folk who insist that Pacquiao and Arum absolutely 100% always wanted the fight. One lot of "fans" are just as bad as the other with mud slinging, but it's hardly a case of the "Flomos" portraying Floyd as "innocent" whilst the "Pactards" are a reasonable and objective breed.

i think its pretty clear the interviewer doesnt like Jeff. they must have some sort of feud going on

allright , I get it guys. My bad, I apologize for calling you an asshole, it was uncalled for. regardless, I stand by what I'm saying, I thought you were being pushy and kind of rude to Jeff.

IMO you're underplaying it. This is the biggest duck in boxing's history. The two clear P4P best fighters on the planet, swapping the top spot btw them for 6/7 years and the same fucking weight....!
Mayweather's standing may improve over time, as with most fighters but I fear 'Duck' will be the overriding thought of the casual masses when Floyd is mentioned after he retires.

Floyd can't force Pac to get into the ring. At the end of the day, no matter how you try to switch it up, Pac and Top Rank have turned down that fight everytime its been on the table.

Maybe not you but other people do for sure. Just look at the first round of negotiations. Everyone said it was floyds fault and applauded manny for not taking the drug tests. Then roach says the first round was their fault. Then and only then did people admit it was mannys fault. Why? Because people hated floyd and liked manny IMO

What? Who, exactly? I only ever notice the opposite; folk who insist that Pacquiao and Arum absolutely 100% always wanted the fight. One lot of "fans" are just as bad as the other with mud slinging, but it's hardly a case of the "Flomos" portraying Floyd as "innocent" whilst the "Pactards" are a reasonable and objective breed.

Both sides are at fault. I don't feel either guy is innocent here. But I don't really see any of Manny's fans here saying he doesn't deserve any of the blame. Floyd's fans, however, act like the first round of negotiations was the only one that happened. We've had to go through this shit twice a year, every year, since then.

Both sides are at fault. I don't feel either guy is innocent here. But I don't really see any of Manny's fans here saying he doesn't deserve any of the blame. Floyd's fans, however, act like the first round of negotiations was the only one that happened. We've had to go through this shit twice a year, every year, since then.

You don't see any of that? There's plenty of it on this forum alone.

Maybe not you but other people do for sure. Just look at the first round of negotiations. Everyone said it was floyds fault and applauded manny for not taking the drug tests. Then roach says the first round was their fault. Then and only then did people admit it was mannys fault. Why? Because people hated floyd and liked manny IMO

I dunno who this "everyone" is your referring to, but that's not how I remember it. Manny got his fair share of backlash and critisicm for that

Back