Jeff Glover -Torreando Counter via Arm Drag/Roll

BJJLDave

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score

Check out Jeff's slick counter to the torreando pass with an arm drag or rollover sweep! It was an honor to shoot a seminar with him for the BJJ Library.

He's got a lot of acrobatic and sneaky tricks that always makes it fun to watch him fight. Jeff has a super fight coming up next month against Bruno Malfacine at the Jiu Jitsu World Expo on 11/9 or 11/10, should be an awesome match! :eek:

nice, I already use that posture and gripping to prevent the torreando, so adding the armdrag is a nice little addition. That turtle esque roll-over is awesome as well.

Pretty sweet. I'll have to practice those.

I'm to use to not letting people grab both hands on my
legs, I always try to break grips asap.

I'm to use to not letting people grab both hands on my
legs, I always try to break grips asap.

I agree. From a competition stand point grips on the pant legs mean that Kurt Osiander is going to be paying you a visit.

Another option is to invert into them, and try to get inverted spider guard with feet on biceps, or go inverted grab their sleeves and kick the grip off.

Check out Jeff's slick counter to the torreando pass with an arm drag or rollover sweep! It was an honor to shoot a seminar with him for the BJJ Library.

He's got a lot of acrobatic and sneaky tricks that always makes it fun to watch him fight. Jeff has a super fight coming up next month against Bruno Malfacine at the Jiu Jitsu World Expo on 11/9 or 11/10, should be an awesome match! :eek:

fucking gem

Looks good. It's a pass I often have trouble dealing with, and I'm also an arm drag guy. So this is something I'll definitely try.

I agree. From a competition stand point grips on the pant legs mean that Kurt Osiander is going to be paying you a visit.

Being a noob, I am pretty brain dead when it comes to accepting grips on the legs. I mean happens a lot and I end up in dreaded side control. I purpose from now on to break those pants leg grips! Or I could try this to get a sweep. Either way, no more brain damaged passivity in this area!!!!!:D

I will be practicing this move definitely!

Looks good. It's a pass I often have trouble dealing with, and I'm also an arm drag guy. So this is something I'll definitely try.

I feel like arm drags have gone out of style. That's too bad, because they're useful in tons of scenarios.

Another option is to invert into them, and try to get inverted spider guard with feet on biceps, or go inverted grab their sleeves and kick the grip off.

That is a great option but it doesn't work if your opponent is controlling your far leg as well. When he just controls the near leg pant, or lets go of the far leg, then it is a very solid counter to invert.

One grip is no problem, lots of easy counters, but two grip becomes dangerous. As long as you control the near wrist against the pants grip (like Jeff shows in that vid), you should be fine.

One option I really like against the double pant grip is to "splay" your legs far apart, or pull one leg under you. What you NEVER want when defending the Torreando is to have both your knees and feet close together, because then your opponent's elbows are tight and you can't armdrag them, the elbows won't turn. If your knees are wide apart, then your opponents elbows will be open, and you can armdrag him through the mat. This is a huge key to successful armdragging ... positioning your legs to expose the arms, and turn the elbows, rather than letting him keep them tight. Once the elbows open and turn, you can hit a crushing armdrag.

Usually your opponent will either let go of the second pant grip in such a situation or not reach for it in the first instance, because he feels his arms are too exposed.

If you lose all grips on the sleeve, btw, then you need to grab a collar grip, turtle hard while stiff arming with that collar grip, and then either sit back to guard or roll over to guard.

Torreando is a very fun pass to counter, IMO.

Last edited:
Nice options! But I agree that the immediate instinct is to strip grips right away. It's a good instinct to have, IMO

awesome omoplata set up after the roll sweep. never occurred to me that it was there.

Back