Jeff Bezo's Net Worth Grew By 24 Billion In 3 Months How's Your Paycheck Holding Up?

amazon clearly has a monopoly on the distribution of books/ebooks

Remember when trustbusting was a thing? I remember
Yeah it does suck not being able to buy books or ebooks from any of the following anymore:

B&N
Walmart
Target
Meijer
Publishers
Etc

Oh wait you still can . Get your head out of your ass Amazon isn't a monopoly. As much as I despise aspects of Bezos he doesn't have a monopoly

I think asking the government to subsidize corporations more is the wrong thing.

They have the money let them share it with their workforce for a change. Not only is it much easier thing to do it's the right thing to do.

Wages could be increased tomorrow. Bonuses could be sent out tomorrow. Your proposals could take decades or more and there's still no guarantee it'll change anything in regard to income inequality. The only thing certain is that the government would take on more debt while the stock market keeps rising.

Now if the government is going to tax the corporations for the money and then pay it out in a UBI, that's something I could understand better, but again that'll take years. Corporations could pay more tomorrow and still have money money than all of us combined.

They can, but they wont.

Forcing them to do so would take longer than what i proposed, fuck up the markets and outright could do more hurt than harm.

Businesses should not be subsidized as a blanket rule but lets not get silly and say no gov't should never offer a business an incentive, in terms of certain tax holidays or other subsidies to move into an area.

If Michigan during the auto industry collapse is desperate to get some businesses into Detroit and get some of those moth balled factories working again because they will see a huge benefit in getting people back to work and infrastructure going again it is dumb to hate on the Michigan gov't for offering incentives and subsidies to large corporations they are trying to entice to move there instead of somewhere that is more desirable and with less problems.

Trading off welfare payments and the spiraling problems and costs that come for gov't with such high unemployment can be well worth some subsidies and incentives that can go away once the economy is made healthy again.

it is usually pettiness that sees people hate on a company getting such a subsidy to enter a market they might otherwise not without that subsidy. There are many regions that if you could simply get employers to set up shop, even if you had to give them 100% tax free status for some time, that would benefit massively from the employment and the positive correlating secondary impacts of people out working and spending money in their community. Where without such employers they are just a drain on the welfare roles which has negative correlating secondary impacts.

No one wants to see employers just stick to the same built up and already healthy cities and States which then causes an even bigger wealth divide. We all want to see those jobs and that wealth spread around. But then you get some petty people who do not get why it might take incentives or subsides to get a company to choose Detroit over another city like Seattle.

It's more money out of the American middle class, more to china, and too much to Amazon.

How the hell is shopping at Amazon taking money out of the middle class...they would be spending it at other stores for fucks sake. Also...what the actual fuck does China have to do with this.

Lastly, Amazon did not start making money until its cloud services actually got customers and the vast majority of its profit is coming from THAT....that is the thing you should be worried about, in fact, you should be worried about EVERYONES cloud services and you more than likely have no clue why.

Also, this.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/11/app...amazon-has-generated-during-its-lifetime.html

I don’t use AMZN because they treat their employees like shit and pay little to no taxes. And they are still not cheaper than a place like COST(on many items)

Sad that people (especially the middle & upper class) use them.

I’d be ashamed if I was a liberal and gave them any business

I'm going to relate this to MMA since this is an MMA site and repeat a model I proposed some years ago to counter the constant squabble about how much money the UFC made versus the Fighters and whether that was fair or not.

What I proposed would be the ultimate MMA org structure. One owned and operated by a cooperative of Fighters (a fighters Union). Any fighter, fighting in the org would become an owner and over time and with ranking and status that percentage of ownership and revenue share would increase. No payments to a Promoter and the fighters keep all the earnings.

This could be wildly successful as all Labour costs would then be variable as fighters would only earn their percentage of each event. And without a Promoter taking the biggest share the upside for the fighters would be much larger. But so too would be the risk of a low earning event or a failed money losing event which the fighters would then have to pay for.

in the end that last part is why, despite it being far more lucrative for the fighters it would never happen despite the fact it really should. But fighters, like most employees want no part of that equity risk or cost of failure. They just want a guaranteed purse not tied to the success of the event and no cost in a failure. And that is fine but then you cannot then also begrudge those who do take on that equity risk and provide that purse to them early on when finally that equity becomes worth something.

Let’s be honest. Bezos and AMZN get away with not paying their fair share of taxes and treating their employees like dirt because the GOP doesn’t give a shit and the Dems love him for being Anti Trump

Ironically, I think Bernie & Trump are the only 2 politicians that have voiced displeasure at AMZN

That's more than 100 million a day.

He must be super smart!!

How the hell is shopping at Amazon taking money out of the middle class...they would be spending it at other stores for fucks sake. Also...what the actual fuck does China have to do with this.

Lastly, Amazon did not start making money until its cloud services actually got customers and the vast majority of its profit is coming from THAT....that is the thing you should be worried about, in fact, you should be worried about EVERYONES cloud services and you more than likely have no clue why.

Also, this.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/11/app...amazon-has-generated-during-its-lifetime.html

Because for many many years the Feds made it more cost efficient to sell online

These sorts of personal investments by top wealth owners are also making it possible for a younger generation or qualified and educated employee to make bank earlier in their career. People can't handle the fact the work environment is turning into a more competitive place. It's heading towards a professional sports model where the top guys make a bundle and people who can't make the team get left behind -- and with automation coming, eventually every job will just be the top 1 percent of their field.

As to your question, my income is doing amazing because I went into field(s) with an in demand future.

We have to make the things he sells.. Or all of our money will disappear out of the economy and go to a few lucky people. Was Jeff smart for selling books online, and then allowing the infrastructure that created to expand? Yeah. Was it some major contribution to the world and genius invention? No. We can't let the money flow to the top without making any stops to keep the people that actually buy things, healthy. It even hurts most other rich people.

Yeah, he completely changed how business works in the US. I love getting anything delivered in less than 2 days. I love that Walmart was forced to evolve, as well as Target. I love that if I spend over $100.00 on groceries my local supermarket will deliver to my house for free. I save so much time and energy because Amazon changed how businesses work. No more waiting 4 to 6 weeks for a package. No more spending an hour in a grocery store putting shit in a cart.

It is fucking great.

I can't wait for drones to deliver me food.

Yeah it does suck not being able to buy books or ebooks from any of the following anymore:

B&N
Walmart
Target
Meijer
Publishers
Etc

Oh wait you still can . Get your head out of your ass Amazon isn't a monopoly. As much as I despise aspects of Bezos he doesn't have a monopoly
they control like 2/3 or 3/4 of online book distribution, and about 3/4 of all online retailing in general

that's a monopoly playa

Sorry it's not fair for one man to have $200B in wealth while he pays his workers less than $15/hr.

Workers need to demand their share. If they won't unionize themselves the Federal government must advocate for them. The disparity in wealth is out of control.

They are free to quit working for him.

But there's a magnitude of other options, people just prefer the amazon model / interface and prices. There could be a shift to other .net establishment tomorrow because they still exist.
they control like 2/3 or 3/4 of online book distribution, and about 3/4 of all online retailing in general

that's a monopoly playa

I don't begrudge anyone who has legally earned many billions of dollars, but I do think that showing they aren't all about pure greed is important. Hoarding that much money, when a fraction of it could do great things for the world, is wrong. How many billions does one man need to live his chosen lifestyle, whatever that may be?

When you look around and see so much suffering, and don't even consider helping out with some of what society has enabled you to earn, you're just another wealth-obsessed tool.

But there's a magnitude of other options, people just prefer the amazon model / interface and prices. There could be a shift to other .net establishment tomorrow because they still exist.
If Amazon had access to China...would Alibaba even be a thing?

I think that sums it up

Back