Jean Jacques Machado's "wing sweep"

The Colonel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I recently learned this sweep in class and frankly I think its just cool as hell. I also recently bought Jean Jacques book "Black Belt Techniques" and basically the wing sweep, taking the back, and getting the armlock all go together very nicely. The other day I worked with my instructor just on the wing sweep, doing all the transitions that I just mentioned, doing set ups for the wing sweep, and even going into omoplatas and variations off the sweep depending on how your opponent bases, and I've got to say I LOVE this sweep.

I have a very good scissor sweep (old faithful for me) and this sweep works great in conjunction with it, not to mention the fact that I've noticed that I can really launch people with this wing sweep, so here's my questions:

1. Do many of you guys here on the forum use this sweep? If not, why not? Just curious.

2. How exactly do you defend this sweep? Honestly it seems that once they get your arm trapped and get a belt or lat grip, you're screwed. There is always a way to beat any technique, but after seeing just how many options I have from this position when I'm the man on bottom, it just seems damn near unbeatable.

I would post a vid of the sweep, but its an excerpt from one of Jean Jacque Machado's instructional dvds and I don't want to do that. The sweep itself is on youtube though.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

I like that whole series alot, but dont really use it much maybe cause the grips are awkard. I taught it to a friend of mine and he uses the scissor to wing sweep all ther time. You need to sprawl and flatten the legs, to defend it, and yes that is when the bottom guy should switch to taking the back or armlock. btw, unlike a regular scissor sweep, because of those grips theres nothing reallly stopping you from posting your hand and running around the front for the pass.

I've done it a number of times. John Machado teaches it a lot.

Do I like it? Well, the problem is that the setup is essentially an armdrag. If you can hit the armdrag, awesome, you have a world of hurt to put on your opponent. But the main problem is that an experienced opponent will defend the armdrag like hell.

I have the same reservations about this sweep as Zankou.

I would rather get swept by the scissor sweep than post my arm and expose my back like this.
And if I ever expose my back, I would go to turtle immediately.

it was one of the first techniques i learned on the net, do i use it? not really, but the good thing is that when the position is there the sweep is easy, plus there are 2 other variations from that position depending on the opponent pulling away or spreading his knee base...

its definitely a good one to have in your bad of tricks

We drilled this the other week--it was a bit different as it started in butterfly, and you use your foot rather than knee to sweep.

Like everyone said, its not the sweep, its the armdrag thats the hard thing.

I've done it a number of times. John Machado teaches it a lot.

Do I like it? Well, the problem is that the setup is essentially an armdrag. If you can hit the armdrag, awesome, you have a world of hurt to put on your opponent. But the main problem is that an experienced opponent will defend the armdrag like hell.

Word. That makes total sense, it all depends on getting that arm across. There are a ton of ways to get that arm across though-sleeve, double sleeve, the arm drag, 2 on 1, using the knee to push the arm over then re-gripping the sleeve. But that's the most important thing it seems, getting that arm over. I can't wait to play around with this sweep and get the set ups for it down. I feel like I have a new toy to play with :icon_twis

I didn't even know I knew it till I watched the video. One of the brown belts was showing me a bunch of stuff to do from the arm drag, and that was one of them. Haven't been able to use it rolling yet...because i need to drill my arm drags..a lot.

considering my wrestling game used to be based around armdrags and handfighting I have no problems getting an armdrag, but then again I'm not an upper level belt going against other upper level belts so maybe this will phase out of my game as I advance, but then again...marcelo garcia still uses the armdrag :D.

Armdrag is one of my top maneuvers, and I HIGHLY recommend it, but all I'm saying is that the armdrag is the key -- not the wing sweep. Once you get the armdrag, you can hose the guy any number of ways. Take the back, choke him out with gi loop, armbar/pendulum sweep the other way, gift wrap, calf cruncher, banana split, reverse butterfly sweep, wing sweep, armbar, and so forth and so on.

Here is a simple TIP to help anyone pull this sweep off with less pressure on your knee, making it easy to even get the BIGGEST guys up and over.

Do the sweep as JJ machado shows.. only right before you actualy sweep. Lower your hook from the hip to the notch in his knee.
Esentially you have the same setup as a scissor sweep.. so to make the guy light.. switch your hook from his hip to right at his knee.

Pull his weight forward onto you.. then sweep.

Give it a shot in class, or on the mat.. Then come back here and tell me how big of a difference it made for you.
Its a small change, that will really impact how easy it is for you.

When it each it.. i always show this detail, and people are amazed.

I too have trouble with the armdrag. Is it much easier to do with a gi?
Beautiful sweep though, and those old guys are great :)

This is the exact first sweep i was taught in JUDO from closed guard , since it's basically a hikkikomi gaeshi from the ground.

The arm drag sweep is also my favourite sweep from butterfly guard

Like the second sweep Patrix roux show here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PvDeY4VFg

But I prefer hook the other leg with the arm not to the belt leg ( Kashiwazaki's way, can't find the video of his instructional )

The arm drag in this position is easier with the sleeve grip with the gi.

You don't actually need an arm drag to do this sweep. It works well as a counter to a leg weave pass, controlling the wrist of the arm going between your legs.

I've also had some luck doing it with an overhook and a collar tie, but I'm not sure how technically sound this approach is - better check with my instructor.

You don't actually need an arm drag to do this sweep. It works well as a counter to a leg weave pass, controlling the wrist of the arm going between your legs.

I've also had some luck doing it with an overhook and a collar tie, but I'm not sure how technically sound this approach is - better check with my instructor.

Yep I have managed to hit that sweep sometime when ppl try those kind of pass(arm between your legs)

I never even thought of this move as a specific sweep. I always just considered it a natural consequence of the arm drag attack.

But I do use this move a lot when it presents itself. It's very easy to do from the arm drag position. I should watch the technical video of it to learn some details to make it better, but up until now I have usually just rolled the guy over intuitively from there. Even big guys can't stop from being rolled when I swing my weight down underneath them like a pendulum.

Back