Jean Claude Van Damme doing martial arts.

IMO he wouldn't be able to do any of that and perform well in a real fight

A real fight as in a street fight or a competition? Because he'd definitely be able to do that against some schmuck on the streets that doesn't know how to fight.

Only on the internet, can someone have the flexibility and dexterity to hold high kicks in mid air, and do all this crazy choreographed shit - and have a bunch of people doubting their skills. Like, fucking hell, do you think they got to that level of technical ability without going through years and years of sparring and drilling.

Half these guys have verified fights, be it in competition or on the streets and people still doubt it. You don't have to be in K1 or the UFC to have legitimate skills.

Only on the internet, can someone have the flexibility and dexterity to hold high kicks in mid air, and do all this crazy choreographed shit - and have a bunch of people doubting their skills. Like, fucking hell, do you think they got to that level of technical ability without going through years and years of sparring and drilling.

Half these guys have verified fights, be it in competition or on the streets and people still doubt it. You don't have to be in K1 or the UFC to have legitimate skills.

Didn't Scott Adkins admit he wasn't a fighter? Pretty sure it was him. Some guys are only good at one or the other.

Didn't Scott Adkins admit he wasn't a fighter? Pretty sure it was him. Some guys are only good at one or the other.

There's a difference between being able to fight and being a fighter. People aren't discrediting whether or not these guys would be in the UFC - they are implying that these men cannot fight. That they're 'fake'. Which is ridiculous. There are guys on internet forums who legitimately believe that with 6 months of muay thai, they'll win a stand up fight against Jet Li, with decades of kung fu experience, because he's 'fake'. It's delusion and ego.

Side note: Scott Adkins literally says he's not flexible in a tutorial in which he is in full splits. I agree that he's not a fighter, but when Idris Elba dedicated a year of his life to learning how to kickbox for a fight and wins against Lionel Graves - I don't doubt for a second that Adkins could have a respectable career in kickboxing if it was his focus. The idea that he couldn't make it in the sport because he's an actor in movies is laughable

The TL;DR version, guys who are into combat sports, tend to seriously overlook the credentials of martial artists from movies.

. There are guys on internet forums who legitimately believe that with 6 months of muay thai, they'll win a stand up fight against Jet Li, with decades of kung fu experience, because he's 'fake'. It's delusion and ego.

So which is of these moves are applicable in real fight? That's what Jet Li trained in.

Of all the fucking men, and you choose to be made of straw.

Where's the application of this? He's not even throwing real punches?!

See, I can make up stupid shit too.

Last edited:
You have allready proven us that you are enough stupid, that you dont have to pretend to be even more stupid.

Wushu uses sanda as a sparring format. Yes.. even the modern version do that.

This.
Wushu taolu is an artistic expression like gymnastics. When you learn wushu you don't just start fucking learning that shit, they teach you punches, kicks and how to put them together in combat, as well as forms, and taolu if you choose to pursue it. Taolu isn't wushu itself, it's a way of expressing Wushu.

In the same way that not every gymnast is going to be an expert on the beam, some of them are going to like performing on the rings.

You have allready proven us that you are enough stupid, that you dont have to pretend to be even more stupid.

Wushu uses sanda as a sparring format. Yes.. even the modern version do that.

Oh really? So when Dick Wei says in an interview that Jet Li asked him to choreograph their fight scene because he only knew performance art, he was lying?

So you just have no analytical skills whatsoever then?

I fucking love the thought that the guy who throws a bunch of punches and kicks and blocks in a movie, would get into a fight with some sherdog bum and be like 'oh no, i've only done performance art, I don't know how to punch a man in the face with this athletic ability I've honed over a life time of training.

I fucking love the thought that the guy who throws a bunch of punches and kicks and blocks in a movie, would get into a fight with some sherdog bum and be like 'oh no, i've only done performance art, I don't know how to punch a man in the face with this athletic ability I've honed over a life time of training.

Were you good the first time you sparred? Be honest

Did you have 15+ years of martial arts training and physical conditioning the first time you sparred? Be honest

What difference does it make? I would still get tagged like a layperson from shots I didn't see coming.

So you just have no analytical skills whatsoever then?

Not to start a fight or anything but I always experienced that martial arts training with only light contact allowed can be more detrimental to real fight ability then doing no fight training but just being fit.
I had to invest quite some time to be able to really punch an opponent. It was deeply ingrained to just touch them. For stuntmen / movie actors its the same.

If you dont even do light sparring (some wu shu is like that, that I know of) they also have no development of distance or timing and no mental preparation at all for the stress of a fight.
At that point its kind of a lottery if he can perform under stress. Some are naturals, some are not.

To go back to Van Damme. He did a lot of full contact sparring and some fights. Thats why Seagal ran like a mouse on speed when challenged :D

Not to start a fight or anything but I always experienced that martial arts training with only light contact allowed can be more detrimental to real fight ability then doing no fight training but just being fit.
I had to invest quite some time to be able to really punch an opponent. It was deeply ingrained to just touch them. For stuntmen / movie actors its the same.

If you dont even do light sparring (some wu shu is like that, that I know of) they also have no development of distance or timing and no mental preparation at all for the stress of a fight.
At that point its kind of a lottery if he can perform under stress. Some are naturals, some are not.

To go back to Van Damme. He did a lot of full contact sparring and some fights. Thats why Seagal ran like a mouse on speed when challenged :D

I don't think your point is unfair, you'll get no beef from me

but the question isn't really so much of whether a JCVD etc. would be successful in a fight against a pro MMA fighter - I gave the bracket of 6 months, because a lot of people seem to legitimately believe that 6 months of muay thai will help you vs a TKD blackbelt and other ridiculous shit

I flippantly mention Jet Li, and he hones in on Jet Li specifically, to try to argue against my point lol

Last edited:
What difference does it make? I would still get tagged like a layperson from shots I didn't see coming.
That's called a fight. Petrosyan get's caught with shots he doesn't see coming.
6 months of training boxing/kickboxing etc. isn't going to be enough to let you slap up Van Damme

Back