JDS's mit work

platfox

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Looks pretty damn impressive for an mma fighter and a brown belt in BJJ. I think his coach is the Brazilian National boxing coach though, so he's probably in pretty good hands.

Guess there's a reason he's one of the most feared heavyweight strikers in MMA...

got a feeling this could quickly get tricky for Roy if it stays standing for any length of time

Looks pretty damn impressive for an mma fighter and a brown belt in BJJ. I think his coach is the Brazilian National boxing coach though, so he's probably in pretty good hands.

as low as he keeps his hands i could also see big roy knocking jds silly. i kept telling my friends the same thing about machida. everyone kept saying how elusive he was, but i told my buddies that one day he'd get ktfo!

dos santos.... hands down the best boxer in mma.... besides the obvious.

as low as he keeps his hands i could also see big roy knocking jds silly. i kept telling my friends the same thing about machida. everyone kept saying how elusive he was, but i told my buddies that one day he'd get ktfo!

I could be mistaken but if i recall correctly, in every video I've seen of someone working the mitts, their hands are usually lower than when they fight. Usually they are working on speed and timing, no? Here's a video of Mayweather as an example. Every scene on the mitts, his hands are low.

oh my...I like Big Roy but if he can't get the fight to the ground and keep it there, it's obvious what will happen.

His coach is the Brazil national boxing coach
(was on Countdown to UFC 117). Can't remember
his name though. I feel sorry for the poor bastards
on the recieving end of JDS's punches.

i agree
no defense of punch technique whatsoever
this guy will get countered to the floor vs someone with decent boxing

You guys know that not every boxer keeps their hands up glued to their jaw ala clay guida style right?

The way they keep their hands varies just like their stances do and as long as the hands arent absurdly low dos santos will be fine.

Last edited:
He's strong and has the power which really does translate well into boxing and most stand up.

Ya i cant wait for the fight. Hope he gets a chance to use his standup though.

You guys know that not every boxer keeps their hands up glued to their jaw ala clay guida style right?

The way they keep their hands varies just like their stances do and as long as the hands arent absurdly dos santos will be fine.

no idea what your talking about

same here.

anyways. evaluatiing someone thru mitt work isnt always the best meter. we all seen his performances and seen him exchange hooks with other fighters. he has his hands up in fights and has no problem taking one to give one.

imo the best boxer in mma. good head movement, punches to the body (one of the only fighters i ever seen in mma jab to the body), knows how to counter punch off his movement, throws combinations, puts that uppercut at the end of his combos (OOOOUUUUUCH!!!), and has tremendous power!!

I could be mistaken but if i recall correctly, in every video I've seen of someone working the mitts, their hands are usually lower than when they fight. Usually they are working on speed and timing, no? Here's a video of Mayweather as an example. Every scene on the mitts, his hands are low.

He fights with his hands low too.

Guess there's a reason he's one of the most feared heavyweight strikers in MMA...

Yeah, I guess we really have three top HW strikers:

Carwin - Most power
Overeem - Best overall striking technique, worst toughness
Dos Santos - best offensive boxing and toughness

His coach is the Brazil national boxing coach
(was on Countdown to UFC 117). Can't remember
his name though. I feel sorry for the poor bastards
on the recieving end of JDS's punches.

Luiz D

He means that if you check out boxing on the world championship level it's not like everybody keeps their hands up. Cotto, Clottey, Wright do, but most people keep the hands just relaxed and normal.

Unless JDS makes a big mistake, he should be ok. And I don't think JDS is the type to make mistakes. Dude is mentally as solid as a rock.

Back