JDS knew EXACTLY what Cain would try to do

Yeah JDS had a terrible performance. Never seen a champion look so helpless.

-Was outstruck on the feet, his only weapon.
-Didn't counter Cain's endless shots with knees or uppercuts.
-Gassed in round 1.
-Showed zero grappling ability (bjj black belt really?)

Yeah JDS had a terrible performance. Never seen a champion look so helpless.

-Was outstruck on the feet, his only weapon.
-Didn't counter Cain's endless shots with knees or uppercuts.
-Gassed in round 1.
-Showed zero grappling ability (bjj black belt really?)

Jones v shogun was worse. Or maybe you haven't seen that.

A combo of these:

A) Don't worry about being taken down and be super agressive on the feet.

B) When you get taken down, instead of working to get back up from the hands/knees position, go to guard, work subs and sweeps, and get up using the underhook / hip escape, when you get the oportunity to rise without being punched in the face.

I still think Cain would have won, but this would have been a better game plan.

yep, pretty obvious now, isn't it? i'm guessing he never thought he'd get rocked so hard, and then he did, and it was too late (a whopping 3 minutes into the 25 minute bout).

he got beat, badly. it happens. it's sport. now he'll make adjustments. like athletes do. frankly i don't care if it's 2013 or 2016, i look forward to the 3rd bout (if they both stay in the top 5) to see what JDS changes.

JDS thought Cain would be desperate for the take down.

Instead Cain out struck JDS. JDS did not expect to get out boxed.

Cain had admitted time and time before his bjj is his weakest game. That could explain the positional give ups etc

his gameplan was prob simply to not get taken down and knock cain out...

Didn't even read but judging from the thread title, you need to understand that there is a big difference on WATCHING someone doing it and then FEELING that same person doing the samething ON YOU.

I was a little surprised that cain came in relentlessly. cain was in slow motion himself after the first round and a half. If Junior hadn't been so rocked and his cardio had held out better Cain could have been in trouble. sure in retrospect it worked out perfectly but I still think it was a little risky of Cain to push himself that hard in the first 2 rounds.

his gameplan was prob simply to not get taken down and knock cain out...

this^
It seems jds or those around him he didnt put much thought at all into the actual details of his gameplan when you listen to him talk pre fight

he knew what cain was going to do and he was quite effectively prepared for it. the problem is he probably thought cain would get dispirited and sloppy when he was thwarted on those takedowns and cain did not.

in fact, cain adjusted very well. but it is a clear case, in my view, of junior believing as long as he could stuff the takedowns, he would win the fight- which many of us thought as well. but cain has good striking in his own right and once cain landed the right shot, cain was able to assert the grappling that was being easily shrugged off early on.

if that's the case, what will he do in a rematch (if one ever happens)?

tyson fury take em both in one night. they cant stand with the gypsy fighter.

Welterweight contenders know exactly what GSP is going to do to them, but they still can't stop it.

Back