JDS "I used the wrong strategy ...want a rematch"

I don't think this fight is as complicated as either fighter is making it out to be. I thought his gameplan was fine and to be honest in the early going of the first round it was working.

Whenever these two fighters get together it's all about who connects that one big shot first. And this time it was Cain. Happened in the first round with a minute 30 to go, and he never fully recovered.

That's the risk you take when you put two very hard punching, accurate strikers in the octagon.

So my advice to JDS would be..."connect first".

I like this take. And good advice.

All you have to do to get a title shot is be the person that the UFC thinks will draw the most PPV buys in their next PPV.

See Sonnen, Diaz.

I wish more people in these forums accepted this. It's 100% true and people really need to drop the "rankings" and "who deserves it" stuff.

JDS should really slow down and work on his entire game and then come back, he isnt going to beat Cain with that same strategy unless he hits a homerun in the first.

I feel like JDS was sick or something. He gassed so fast something had to be up. Either way, good win for Cain

Exactly why I said he lost. Glad he recgonize a it himself an plans to fix it instead of listening to the morons on here.

This is one of those game plans that only sounds good in hindsight. Why? Well because he lost so of course anything different will sound good.

Going into the fight thinking JDS should have a game plan of trying to submit Cain off his back and not trying to get right back up and KO him would have been foolish when he had such a definative win the first time by keeping it standing and getting his KO.

I could just see that second fight playing out with JDS on his back, ala BigNog/Fedor, and eating tons of GnP to a decision loss and everyone freaking out saying wtf would he do that instead of getting back up and boxing up Cain again.

So his strategy was to avoid the takedowns but he forgot to protect his face? Wow

So his strategy was to avoid the takedowns but he forgot to protect his face? Wow

It's dumb, but it's the reality. You keep your hands down, you get punched in the face, you keep your hands up, you're in the ground faster than you can blink. Not everybody can sprawl with the hands protecting the face.

I wish more people in these forums accepted this. It's 100% true and people really need to drop the "rankings" and "who deserves it" stuff.

Sure, I'll give you that, but from my perspective, I can't get excited about and won't be shelling out $55 to watch an immediate rematch after JDS got beat down like that.

He's got to win a couple in a row to make that fight interesting.

He is a former champ that defended his belt once, and lost to a former champ. He deserves a rematch upon fighting his way to the top, via 1 or 2 more wins. Plus, If I was him I would wan't some other fights to work on my ground game, and whatever else he needs to work on. Just my OP.

Yes, apparently the "stand there and get the shit beat out of you" strategy didn't pan out like they were expecting :)

Bad gameplan/strategy or whatever, JDS didn't look like JDS in that fight...IMO.

Is it just me or did JDS look HUGE in that fight. Maybe I'm wrong but he seemed so much bigger and far more muscular than normal. Something about the way he was fighting just seemed slow and he didnt seem light on his feet like if affected his agility.

I dont know...I'm not making excuses for the guy but something wasn't right about how he was moving.

He was in his best shape ever,he said it himself.What was wrong?

Seems like he fought the same way he fought in all of his other fights including the first fight he won against Cain.

I'm sure he'll attempt to be a more diversified fighter in the future and show off his bjj blackbelt....or he'll just continue to be a two dimensional "boxer" with good takedown defense. Funny how JDS is considered the new breed with his style of fighting but Rampage is considered someone that didn't "evolve" when they both do nothing but "box" and try to defend takedowns.

I agree 100%, why is Rampage one dimensional and Dos Santos an awesome and diverse striker?

Dos Santos better get his game together, he has been exposed by Cain and left the blueprint to beating him. He is is only 28, so I am sure he will be back.

He needs to use the same game plan cain used on him.. Go out there and pressure him until he makes a mistake and then capitalize on it...

what strategy was that, the get my ass beat for 25 minutes one??

Back