JDS got Clubber Lang'd.

bugrimmar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hear me out here. It's a serious post. I'm not just referencing JDS' ring entrance music.

It seemed to me that JDS was rolling going into this fight. Right after getting the championship belt in dominant fashion, he got the Nike sponsorship, his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt, and another devastating win over Mir (who was, obviously, no match). Overall, he was raking in the success, and he came into this fight as a heavy favorite, despite Cain being obviously hungrier.

We also saw that he was overflowing with confidence. He didn't seem to be training in his usual style, and he went to some expensive gyms and such, abandoning his roots with his original team. In his interviews, his smile could be seen from a mile away, and his English has never been sharper.

Now, lets look back at Rocky 3. Balboa was rolling in success after beating Apollo, he bought a huge house, fancy car, got lots of endorsements, and he was coming off a huge win streak (against weak opponents). He came into the fight as a favorite against Clubber Lang, who was far hungrier than he was.

Rocky was also overflowing with confidence and seemed to abandon his usual training methods, instead smiling far more to reporters and posing for endorsements instead of listening to his old trainer.

Basically, I think that JDS' poor performance in gassing like that so badly in the first round is a result of his pre-match activities. He was far too hyped up in himself, while Cain was so focused and hungry to win. You could see how JDS' wonderful takedown defense faded after a few minutes, while that had never happened previously. It came down to the 'Clubber Lang' syndrome.

And yes, it was ironic he came out to Rocky's music.

I was actually thinking about Rocky 3 during this fight. Cain fought a great fight though.

I think Cain just tired the hell out of him. JDS has never really been pressured that much, he was always able to create distance and control the pace of the fight, until tonight.

Hear me out here. It's a serious post. I'm not just referencing JDS' ring entrance music.

It seemed to me that JDS was rolling going into this fight. Right after getting the championship belt in dominant fashion, he got the Nike sponsorship, his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt, and another devastating win over Mir (who was, obviously, no match). Overall, he was raking in the success, and he came into this fight as a heavy favorite, despite Cain being obviously hungrier.

We also saw that he was overflowing with confidence. He didn't seem to be training in his usual style, and he went to some expensive gyms and such, abandoning his roots with his original team. In his interviews, his smile could be seen from a mile away, and his English has never been sharper.

Now, lets look back at Rocky 3. Balboa was rolling in success after beating Apollo, he bought a huge house, fancy car, got lots of endorsements, and he was coming off a huge win streak (against weak opponents). He came into the fight as a favorite against Clubber Lang, who was far hungrier than he was.

Rocky was also overflowing with confidence and seemed to abandon his usual training methods, instead smiling far more to reporters and posing for endorsements instead of listening to his old trainer.

Basically, I think that JDS' poor performance in gassing like that so badly in the first round is a result of his pre-match activities. He was far too hyped up in himself, while Cain was so focused and hungry to win. You could see how JDS' wonderful takedown defense faded after a few minutes, while that had never happened previously. It came down to the 'Clubber Lang' syndrome.

And yes, it was ironic he came out to Rocky's music.

Beautiful post

Before the fight, when he popped his chest I thought, oh here it goes, he's gone soft , cocky and didn't take this shit seriously..

I remember watching a video before the Mir fight where JDS basically said, "now that I'm champion, the real work begins."

I think he forgot to take his own advice.

Great reference TS. I was thinking something along those lines during the fight as well.

I think Cain just tired the hell out of him. JDS has never really been pressured that much, he was always able to create distance and control the pace of the fight, until tonight.

yeah, but that's my point. JDS has never been pressured so much because he's so good at creating distance. today, he didn't have that ability. i know cain fought a great fight. he really really came in hungry and focused. you could see at the start of the fight how he took the center of the octagon like a lion.

however, i think JDS wasn't in the same league of focus or hunger in this fight. it should've been far more competitive than that, had JDS just gone into the fight with the proper preparation. who was he training with? i didn't see the usual guys in the 24/7 broadcast. in fact, the UFC referenced that he switched to a big expensive gym in another city that primarily trains soccer players, if i'm not mistaken.

yeah, but that's my point. JDS has never been pressured so much because he's so good at creating distance. today, he didn't have that ability. i know cain fought a great fight. he really really came in hungry and focused. you could see at the start of the fight how he took the center of the octagon like a lion.

however, i think JDS wasn't in the same league of focus or hunger in this fight. it should've been far more competitive than that, had JDS just gone into the fight with the proper preparation. who was he training with? i didn't see the usual guys in the 24/7 broadcast. in fact, the UFC referenced that he switched to a big expensive gym in another city that primarily trains soccer players, if i'm not mistaken.

Can't disagree with that. No doubt JDS was probably cocky and way too confident going into the fight.

Cain fought a great fight though.

Isn't it easy to look good when your opponent spends 90% of the fight breathing out of his ass! (no excuses for JDS there BTW)

Cain's wrestling looked great (as usual). The striking, still very raw. At the beginning when JDS was fresh and Cain was wading in punching, completely open, chin hanging out, I thought JDS would catch him.

But hats off to Cain. A boring as hell fight which will bring only wrestlers to the sport as new fans, but he got the job done.

I can see a Rocky 3 comparison but not exactly how you said it.

Follow the actual plot of the movie: Rocky (Cain) is the champ and he comes in and he fights the hungry contender (Clubber) and gets knocked out badly.

Then he gets real hungry and fired up and trains as hard as he can and dominates the rematch.

That's how this compares to rocky 3

Follow the actual plot of the movie: Rocky (Cain) is the champ and he comes in and he fights the hungry contender (Clubber) and gets knocked out badly.

Then he gets real hungry and fired up and trains as hard as he can and dominates the rematch.

not so much. in the first fight, cain wasn't coming in overconfident and unfocused.

JDS was drinking his own koolaid....so were his fans, getting knocked down a few rungs may not be a bad thing, wasn't for Cain...

That's what I thought of when I read the thread title.

But Cain would've had to go train with Brock at Deathclutch to fulfill the Apollo part of the storyline.

Back