JDS beats Rothwell handily

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MCS, Feb 18, 2016.

1. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

JDS rarely shoots bad takedowns. He barely goes for any types of takedowns at all. When he does, it's usually late in the round for points, like against Carwin. JDS is a really, really good escaper both from the scramble and from the clinch, also good at getting up from the bottom. Not many openings for chokes for Rothwell.

This means it'll likely be a stand-up fight where Rothwell has a chin and power, while JDS probably still has both and is a lot more skilled whether he strikes off the jab, catches someone with a reaction shot, or with flurries (typically against the cage). The speed difference is also sizable.

So for Rothwell to win the most likely outcome would be catching him right on the chin after being outpointed, while JDS can win this by either a cautious decision or by KO. It's Heavyweight, which ups Ben's chances, but a hail mary is still a hail mary.

basementdweller likes this.
  2. Jim Gleason

Jim Gleason White Belt

I agree. As long as he doesn't shoot for any takedown he should beat Rothwell. Rothwell could always land a big shot but barring that JDS picks him apart.

3. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

edit - figured it out

4. Cry0Therapy737

Cry0Therapy737 Brown Belt

I don't see JDS shooting for takedowns either unless it's at the end of the round to score points, we know Rothwell is dangerous to shoot in on so he'll be careful if he does attempt to take him down, this fight will be decided by how much Junior has left to give, the last few years haven't been kind to him but technically he's much better than Rothwell and should have an advantage on the feet.

5. Anthony7

Anthony7 Brown Belt

Agreed.

6. Dream Evil

Dream Evil Purple Belt

I dunno.....JDS hasn't looked impressive lately. I'm going with Big Ben.

Kwic, Miesha, Sonny Qc and 2 others like this.
  7. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

I think it's a close fight and can't pick a favorite. JDS is faster and I think his striking offense is better but he looks like he's on the decline while Rothwell is better than he's ever been. Rothwell has better defense IMO seems about as durable and probably hits a bit harder. I think it's a coin toss type fight which should make for a good fight.

8. Capt Lunatic

Capt Lunatic Purple Belt

I've seen JDS' last few fights....Rothwell has this.

Mixfight and Miesha like this.
  9. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

I got Rothwell, its a great fight and I don't count JDS out, but its gonna be impossible for him to knock out Rothwell, his chin is probably the best in MMA, he has a world class chin Rothwell. Has taken hundreds of huge shots and not dropped. JDS hasn't looked so good recently but he still has fast hands. Rothwell by TKO in later rounds

10. yookfarb

yookfarb Red Belt

I liked that body jab against Stipe, he needs to go back to basics, get the big guy tired. Then try going for the kayo in the later rounds.

Once again they give Rothwell the toughest fighter who just got derailed from a title shot.

11. Coconut Joe

Coconut Joe Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If JDS loses to Rothwell, he's finished.

runnpray likes this.
  12. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

I think Barnett was a much tougher match up on paper for Rothwell than JDS is but we saw how that turned out. You can't count Rothwell out, he's still making big improvements.

Mixfight and Supatune like this.
  13. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

Rothwell will put JDS out cold, one way or another.

Mixfight, Kwic and Miesha like this.
  14. esalmighty

esalmighty Purple Belt

This hurts me to say...I am a big JDS fan and I was laughing at people who thought Reem was going to win.

JDS has just been in too many beatings...Cain defeated JDS in more ways than one.

Shocktagon and runnpray like this.
  15. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Normally I would agree but the JDS I saw against Reem will lose against Rothwell. So if that JDS shows up JDS is in trouble.

Mixfight likes this.
  16. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

JDS has def fallen off quite a bit, or perhaps he doesn't get away with defensive flaws as well as before now in his 30's, has taken some beatings, and there's a lot of tape on him. Helps that he tends to come in with a similar gameplan.

But I'm still surprised this fight was made. They already ruined AA's chances for title shot nostalgia with giving him a young & hungry big guy in Stipe. Now they're doing the same to another veteran with a resurgence. Younger, faster, stronger. IMO, AA should've gotten the title shot already, as should Ben.

17. Buff

Buff Trash Belt Degenerate

JDS couldn't beat an egg recently... Which is a huge shame, but the reality of the situation.

18. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Depends on what you mean by impressive beating Stipe is very impresive if you ask me regardless of how you do it. Stipe has looked like a beast lately and that win for JDS looks really good. In his last fight is the first time I wasn't impressed by JDS. He looked slow, confused, and was barely even attacking. He was just walking forward and eating punches pretty much never really attacking.

19. chubbman

chubbman Yellow Card

I don't think anyone beats Big Ben handily, certainly not post-Cain JDS

20. NightwingBJJ

NightwingBJJ R.I.P To The King II Long.Live.GU€RNICA

Pre-Cain War Junior dos Santos I would agree. PTSD Junior dos Santos, I don't know.