JC Wrestling

symphonyx547**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for about a year or so and i really want to add in wrestling and i was thinking about Joining the local Junior College team and the coach said it would be ok if i did. The thing is i want to do what's best for me to get into MMA, so if i do wrestling and jiu jitsu i'm not going to be able to fit in going to the local boxing school. So should i do Jiu Jitsu and wrestling or Jiu Jitsu and Boxing?

I've always been a believer of learning an art for the sake of learning the art, so if you want to do wrestling just for the sake of MMA, just go for the bjj and boxing.

I've always been a believer of learning an art for the sake of learning the art, so if you want to do wrestling just for the sake of MMA, just go for the bjj and boxing.

That's kinda what i was thinking becasue when i watch College wrestling seems like alot of the stuff wouldn't carry over all that well, but i'd love to have great mma Wrestling

the bjj/MT combo or boxing/wrestling combo is most common in mma, but in MMA u need everything

Allso what if i joined the team and did all the practices the first year, but didn't compete in tournaments, so i could still have the 2 years of eligibility. Is that a possiblity? Becasue i know for the first year also so i'm not going to be very good.

^^^^^^^

joining wrestling then joining bjj easy squeezy lemon peezyyy

i dont know about bjj joining wrestling afterwards.

imo i train in both and they are so alike i kinda feel stupid wasting 80 bucks a month on bjj. but the instructor gets the hookieess upiesss.

but go ahead and do it. but if you are serious about joining get ready for practices that will make bjj classes a breezzz. if you have a good coach.

^^^^^^^

joining wrestling then joining bjj easy squeezy lemon peezyyy

i dont know about bjj joining wrestling afterwards.

imo i train in both and they are so alike i kinda feel stupid wasting 80 bucks a month on bjj. but the instructor gets the hookieess upiesss.

but go ahead and do it. but if you are serious about joining get ready for practices that will make bjj classes a breezzz. if you have a good coach.[/QUO

Do you wrestle in College? I'd do the college wrestling for sure if i could just do the wrestling class for the first year and then do my freshmen year the year after. I don't know how that works.

I would join the wrestling and wrestle and train for the season. Then when the wrestling off-season you can train boxing. Wrestling has a steeper learning curve,

I would join the wrestling and wrestle and train for the season. Then when the wrestling off-season you can train boxing. Wrestling has a steeper learning curve,

I was thinking about that also. If i do the wrestling at the college i want to get really good to where i could possibly transfer to a university, but the thing is i know for the first year i'm not going to be all that great. I don't want to use up that year of eligibilty, so you think i could just train with the team and never compete for the first year and then the next year have 4 years left?

You can do that. Train with the team but not compete. Also depending on where you transfer, some colleges have boxing programs. Transfer to a college that has that program and you get to train boxing cheap.

I was thinking about that also. If i do the wrestling at the college i want to get really good to where i could possibly transfer to a university, but the thing is i know for the first year i'm not going to be all that great. I don't want to use up that year of eligibilty, so you think i could just train with the team and never compete for the first year and then the next year have 4 years left?

lol at thinking you will be able to compete the 2nd year. unless you just an absolute phenom, you wont ever get good enough to compete at collegiate level if you didnt wrestle in HS.

if you go in there, i would definately have the attitude that its all about wrestling, not picking it up for future use. If you had never wrestled before and showed up to my school's wrestling practice talking about mma aspirations, you would have found yourself ducttaped in the shower with a chuck liddell poster shoved up your ass, swimming in a pool of tepid urine. not by me, mind you, but wrestlers overall are mean people.

if youre thinking it will be like your gym, it wont be. there were fistfights every week in our wrestling room. if you think JC wrestlers wont be that good, think again. most of the guys in there will have been the best guy on thier HS team, a few HS state champs, some take it serious, others not so much.

as for your eligibility, see my post here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=21745695#post21745695

lol at thinking you will be able to compete the 2nd year. unless you just an absolute phenom, you wont ever get good enough to compete at collegiate level if you didnt wrestle in HS.

if you go in there, i would definately have the attitude that its all about wrestling, not picking it up for future use. If you had never wrestled before and showed up to my school's wrestling practice talking about mma aspirations, you would have found yourself ducttaped in the shower with a chuck liddell poster shoved up your ass, swimming in a pool of tepid urine. not by me, mind you, but wrestlers overall are mean people.

if youre thinking it will be like your gym, it wont be. there were fistfights every week in our wrestling room. if you think JC wrestlers wont be that good, think again. most of the guys in there will have been the best guy on thier HS team, a few HS state champs, some take it serious, others not so much.

as for your eligibility, see my post here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=21745695#post21745695

I don't see why they'd do that, but ok.

I don't see why they'd do that, but ok.

just part of the culture. every single good wrestler i have ever known had a nasty mean streak. just trying to give you a heads up, it wont be like joining a gym. if you came into my college wrestling room having never wrestled before and talking about mma and eligibility, you would have gotten the shit kicked out of you. just that they wont "roll" to try to teach you stuff, they will just dominate you. wrestling practice is unlike bjj practice in that its about winning even in practice. and if you let it slip out that you practice bjj, they will be relentless trying to prove how great wrestling is. you will get better eventually just by being dominated, but you definately wont be able to compete at the collegiate level after a mere 4 months of asswhippings.

i have been around wrestlers all my life, wrestled 4 years in college and coached HS. just trying to be a voice of reality. having said that, i hope it goes well.

just part of the culture. every single good wrestler i have ever known had a nasty mean streak. just trying to give you a heads up, it wont be like joining a gym. if you came into my college wrestling room having never wrestled before and talking about mma and eligibility, you would have gotten the shit kicked out of you. just that they wont "roll" to try to teach you stuff, they will just dominate you. wrestling practice is unlike bjj practice in that its about winning even in practice. and if you let it slip out that you practice bjj, they will be relentless trying to prove how great wrestling is. you will get better eventually just by being dominated, but you definately wont be able to compete at the collegiate level after a mere 4 months of asswhippings.

i have been around wrestlers all my life, wrestled 4 years in college and coached HS. just trying to be a voice of reality. having said that, i hope it goes well.

I can understand that. Just like when wrestlers come into BJJ i made sure i sub them a couple times. It's weird all the wrestlers i know all very nice guys.

just part of the culture. every single good wrestler i have ever known had a nasty mean streak. just trying to give you a heads up, it wont be like joining a gym. if you came into my college wrestling room having never wrestled before and talking about mma and eligibility, you would have gotten the shit kicked out of you. just that they wont "roll" to try to teach you stuff, they will just dominate you. wrestling practice is unlike bjj practice in that its about winning even in practice. and if you let it slip out that you practice bjj, they will be relentless trying to prove how great wrestling is. you will get better eventually just by being dominated, but you definitely wont be able to compete at the collegiate level after a mere 4 months of ass whippings.

I have to agree with this guy, wrestling in school is totally different than working out at your gym. look at it this way, most of the people at your gym are probably doing BJJ for fun and to get in shape, almost anybody that wrestles in CC has been wrestling for years working on finishing there wrestling career. They take it seriously, they do not want to waste a day to help the new guy. I really hope you have some good cardio because wrestling practice is more exausting than BJJ, I have trained both and I can tell you for sure that if your not in good shape your going to be in for a hurting (especially at such a high level). Even though I think this guy might have exaggerated a bit, he is pretty much right, you are going to run into some assholes if you start saying "Yeah I am new to wrestling, I am just doing it to help my BJJ" some people are going to look at it as a insult.

Some of my best and nicest friends have came out of wrestling, but some of the only times I have came close to a fistfight have been in a wrestling room.

Good Luck...

I have to agree with this guy, wrestling in school is totally different than working out at your gym. look at it this way, most of the people at your gym are probably doing BJJ for fun and to get in shape, almost anybody that wrestles in CC has been wrestling for years working on finishing there wrestling career. They take it seriously, they do not want to waste a day to help the new guy. I really hope you have some good cardio because wrestling practice is more exausting than BJJ, I have trained both and I can tell you for sure that if your not in good shape your going to be in for a hurting (especially at such a high level). Even though I think this guy might have exaggerated a bit, he is pretty much right, you are going to run into some assholes if you start saying "Yeah I am new to wrestling, I am just doing it to help my BJJ" some people are going to look at it as a insult.

Some of my best and nicest friends have came out of wrestling, but some of the only times I have came close to a fistfight have been in a wrestling room.

Good Luck...

Thanks for the replie. My cardio is pretty good. I'll be as strong as most of the guys at my weight class and my cardio will be great by that time if i choose to do it. I've grappled with guys that wrestled at the University level and out weighed me by about 50 pounds and i was able to hold my own on the grown. Starting from the feet it would be a different story, but i know what i'm getting my self into and i think i'll do good. Even if i never get good enough to compete in JC i'll develope alot better skills than i have now.

Thanks for the replie. My cardio is pretty good. I'll be as strong as most of the guys at my weight class and my cardio will be great by that time if i choose to do it. I've grappled with guys that wrestled at the University level and out weighed me by about 50 pounds and i was able to hold my own on the grown. Starting from the feet it would be a different story, but i know what i'm getting my self into and i think i'll do good. Even if i never get good enough to compete in JC i'll develope alot better skills than i have now.

I see what you are saying, but understand that your going to be in there world now, even though you might have taped them constantly alot of that stuff is not going to work in wrestling, you try to pull guard on someone and you going to look like your a retard :p. just saying some of your techniques such as sweeps and stuff like that might not be as successfull as you think they will.

Ohh and one other thing, depending on where you live you may be able to enter some competition. here in Sacramento over the offseason for wrestling, freestyle wrestling tournaments go throughout the whole summer, you don't need a coach or anything, you just buy a membership card every year and walk in to the tournaments. so I would ask around and see if you can find anything. you would find alot easier competition at these kind of tournaments than at Collegiate tournaments :p (even though I do see some community college wrestlers enter them from time to time)

Back