JBJ vs Glover will be a return to the routine, one-sided Bones dominations. Yawn.

Glover has no shot. Too slow and too predictable. He gets picked apart and finished sometime after the midway point

This is what 90% thought would happen in Gus vs. Jones. There are no absolutes in mma, let's stop making these kind of threads.

I don't think Glover can take Jones down and I think he gets outstruck standing since he hasn't got the most technically efficient boxing or range management. Do I say "GLOVER IS GONNA GET SMASHED!!"? No. That'd make me look stupid, like so many people did after the Gus v Jones fight and so many other fights.

Glover is no GUS.

He'll get picked apart by Bones. I'm not interested in this fight at all.

Respect, then!
I always thought Glover and maybe Cormier would have a better chance against Bones.
Gus proved me wrong though.

Exactly.

I did not think Gus had enough power to keep Jones off him, turns out he had enough to get Jones respect. I still think that should Glover catch Jon then he has a better chance at finishing.
I am also wondering if Jon has that GSP type of face that damages easily.
I know he took a lot of shots, but he kind of reminded me of GSP after the Shields fight.

Rampage wasn't shot when he fought bones. He was in insanely good condition and he spent his camp at the muscle pharm training facility in Colorado. Rampage spent an insane amount of money for that camp, and came in looking amazing. People just don't want to give him any credit ever.

I wouldn't say he is a better fighter, but style wise i also knew he would be a better matchup against jones... It was fairly obvious to me that the machida approach was the best style to beat jones, and gus could implement it perfectly since he is taller and longer and has great movement and boxing..

I thought glovers chances may have been almost as good as gus just because of his knockout power, but jones is proving to have a solid chin so im not so sure anymore.

Jones reacts badly to punches and Glover is a violent striker with more power than anyone Jones has faced.
If he connects expect Jones to go to sleep.
My concern is Jones creating distance and waiting for Glover to tire.
He needs to work on his stamina unless he is going to blitz Jones at the opening bell, which I could see working well against someone who doesn't like trading hits.

Not gonna lie, I'm not giving two shits about this fight at all. Not when I've seen Gus versus Jones and how great that potential rematch is.

UFC...I aint buying this card out of spite.

Sorry.

I don't understand why people think Glover could stand a chance against Jones. He's got power and good BJJ but his reach is too short he's got a weak chin and finally he's not fast like Gus he'll be 34 years old when the fight takes place just another old power puncher who'll get killed. Kind of like another Rua with a much worse chin and much better BJJ.

Huh?

This is what 90% thought would happen in Gus vs. Jones. There are no absolutes in mma, let's stop making these kind of threads.

I don't think Glover can take Jones down and I think he gets outstruck standing since he hasn't got the most technically efficient boxing or range management. Do I say "GLOVER IS GONNA GET SMASHED!!"? No. That'd make me look stupid, like so many people did after the Gus v Jones fight and so many other fights.

Those of us in the 10% were just trying to view through an objective lens. And objectively, I have not seen much from Glover that makes me think he will win this fight.

Rampage wasn't shot when he fought bones. He was in insanely good condition and he spent his camp at the muscle pharm training facility in Colorado. Rampage spent an insane amount of money for that camp, and came in looking amazing. People just don't want to give him any credit ever.

Lol Rampage was about 4 years past his prime at that point....hadn't finished a fight in years.

Totally agree. The UFC hype machine is working though. I'll be believing Glover is Jones' "toughest test to date" by the time the fight rolls around lol.

I don't understand why people think Glover could stand a chance against Jones. He's got power and good BJJ but his reach is too short he's got a weak chin and finally he's not fast like Gus he'll be 34 years old when the fight takes place just another old power puncher who'll get killed. Kind of like another Rua with a much worse chin and much better BJJ.

I don't see why people think Gus could stand a chance against Jones. He's only been fighting strikers since losing to Davis and we don't know how he'll handle a wrestler. He was in a brawl with and taken down by Shogun, so how is he supposed to last against Jones?

Admittedly, I was saying much of that for a while. Although I thought Gus would do well in the standup, I thought he had no chance once Jones decided to take the fight to the ground. I was wrong and it served as a lesson that there are no absolutes in MMA.

You've said this about Glover many times and I can't wait for him to prove you wrong. He has the strength, wrestling, BJJ, and KO power to make this very interesting.

or maybe jones has lost some confidence now?

my prediction is that he won't be nearly as dominant now as he was before. the illusion of invulnerability is gone.

Apparently a lot of you thought Glover was better than Gus?

Hmmm...

To me, LHW looks something like this for top five:
1: JBJ
2: Gus
3: Davis
4: Glover
5: Rashad

Edit: to clarify before I get cussed out, I mean top five in terms of skill, not what the official rankings should be based on wins/losses.

However, they'll be just like the old top five, wins and losses against one another.

Jones will likely stay on top and I think Gus beats all of them except Jones now, yes, including Mr. Wonderful.

Kinda wish they booked Gus jones 2 and glover vs Cormier for #1 contender on the same card.

Kinda wish they booked Gus jones 2 and glover vs Cormier for #1 contender on the same card.

Cormier has a fight he hasn't won yet AND he doesn't deserve to be near a title shot in a division he A: hasn't fought in and B: might not even make weight for.

i love seeing you shit on Glover, mainly because you dont have a clue what you're talking about.

reach is too short? 76in, more than Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Lyoto, Evans, Belfort and Sonnen.

Weak chin? shame he hasn't been dropped, only wobbled and dropping to a knee, then proceeding to beat the shit out of them.

if we're talk about weak chins, how about Rashad getting dropped by a Hendo jab? talk about a glass chin huh? :icon_neut

I don't see why people think Gus could stand a chance against Jones. He's only been fighting strikers since losing to Davis and we don't know how he'll handle a wrestler. He was in a brawl with and taken down by Shogun, so how is he supposed to last against Jones?

Admittedly, I was saying much of that for a while. Although I thought Gus would do well in the standup, I thought he had no chance once Jones decided to take the fight to the ground. I was wrong and it served as a lesson that there are no absolutes in MMA.

You've said this about Glover many times and I can't wait for him to prove you wrong. He has the strength, wrestling, BJJ, and KO power to make this very interesting.

Some people saw potential in the Shogun fight instead of staring blindly at a 1 takedown stat. He catched a kick, it wasn't a trip, it wasn't a power double. Everything else Shogun tried got reversed. He'd also trained with olympic wrestlers daily and Phil Davis. Clues everywhere.

But yes, there are ZERO absolutes in mma.

Think it will be an interesting match-up and if Jones wins it setups the rematch for summer. Maybe July 4th weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back