JBJ vs. Cormier: How do you think the striking game will go down?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JuniorSonGoku, Jan 3, 2015.

1. JuniorSonGoku

JuniorSonGoku Purple Belt

A lot of people are talking about the elite wrestling that will occur between these two guys...but how do you see the striking playing out?

I think a lot of Cormier's opponents have underestimated his striking. I really think the key to this fight for Cormier would be Jones underestimating his striking and Cormier connecting. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cormier stunning and even rocking Jones a few times in this fight...how he capitalizes on it will make the difference.

2. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

3. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

Well you'd have to think Jones will try and stay on the outside, using low risk kicks while Cormier needs to get inside.

Cormier has better hands than people are giving him credit for, he'll need to watch for elbows when he gets in close though.

4. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

I'm always shocked when people give JJ the striking edge (I understand his reach), but DC is the only one between the two who we've seen actually straight up KO people with punches.

5. trumpet

trumpet White Belt

6. untitled

untitled Orange Belt

7. Th3Sav4ge

Clair Guida?

8. untitled

untitled Orange Belt

and then running away from any attack cormier may have...

[​IMG]

9. untitled

untitled Orange Belt

and then running away from any attack cormier may have...

[​IMG]

10. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

Serious analysis:

This fight will be lopsided - but one cannot know which side will be the winning one.

DC cannot stay on the outside and he knows that. He has to rush in in order to beat Jones. I think on the inside Cormier will ragdoll Jones being the better wrestler and the stronger guy. DC won't stay on the outside because he knows he loses there. Jones will not let DC get close voluntarily because he knows he will land on his head if he does. So I DC will fight to get close and Jones will fight to keep it at long range. So there are two possible scenarios:

1. Either Jones catches Cormier coming in and hurts him badly. Short night for DC.
    2. Or DC manages to get in close and demolishes Jones.

ONe thing to consider which favors Jones: DC will have to rush in several times. At least once per round but probably a lot more often. And Jones only needs to catch him once with something big. So DC has to take more risks than Jones in order to win this fight. Jones doesn't have to take a risk at all, comfortably staying on the outside.

This is how the fight will play out. I would still pick DC but it's a coin toss because Jones could catch him with something big any moment when DC rushes which he will have to do. Might actually result in a stoppage due to an eye poke when DC rushes in which would lead to a rematch.

11. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

I'm very curious, in what circumstances was this picture taken? Like Struve said "C'mon, touch me" and DJ is like "I'll punch a hole in your chest"? Or is it shopped?

12. Th3Sav4ge

when someone that small and someone that big meet......you have to take pics like that. its a rule

13. Janne1

Janne1 Green Belt

I hope it will be more of a grappling match with DC ragdolling and ground and pounding Jones. I wouldn't want to see him trying to stand with Jones 'cause it might end up bad for him.

14. Elysianwing

Elysianwing Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

Think Jones will probably outland DC, but DC will land the more significant strikes.

15. Double 99

Double 99 Orange Belt

fight in a phone booth
    Cormier will be sticking to Jones like glue, controlling the inside space and using wrestling ad dirty boxing. Jones will probably try to use those elbows a lot.

16. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

Couture Silvia

17. LogicalError

LogicalError Purple Belt

That level of beating/domination would be 25 mins of me being overly happy in the middle of BWW. It's kinda sad that I'd find great pleasure in seeing Jones take a beating in route to a L

18. BMFOAT67

BMFOAT67 Green Belt

Probably the best comparison yet IMO. The skill set is obviously a little different but I could see it playing out just like this honestly. My prediction is that it won't... I think Jackson and Wink have had Jon working a ton of lateral movement and he will be able to maintain the distance. But I hope I'm wrong.

I've been saying for years that the man to beat Jokes will catch him with a left hook while he stepping backwards. Any time he gets caught he reacts the same, two steps straight back with his left straight out and his right pinned to his ear. Then 2-3 steps circling to his right before setting himself again. I hope this is the fight that it happens but I would t bet on it.

19. djfl

djfl Orange Belt

This pic is irrelevant. Muhammad Ali once said, "Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see." And if you think that Jones' fingers are going to leave Cormier with normal vision outside of Rd1, you're nuts.

20. londonzizou93

londonzizou93 Purple Belt

I guess you havent watched bloodsport