JBJ HW Threat Still???

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by jratm23, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jratm23

jratm23 Orange Belt

People had been saying JBJ was done at LHW & should move to HW to win the belt from the likes of JDS & Cain but I always thought that he would lose to top tier HW & not to mention A.Silva. After last night is the consensus that he will still beat all 3? I def hate Jones & want him to lose but don't deny his talent. He is probably the GOAT LHW but I also don't think he is as good as everyone else thinks. Props to him for taking & giving last night as well as to Gus who I thought was going to lose within 3.

2. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

Why not? Obviously great chin and has the talent. Gus is a freak like Jones. He can still do great things at HW. Besides he has a greater reach than most HW and can use that still.

3. Xyiencemma

Xyiencemma Purple Belt

Still? Ha he wasn't before and he is not now. Jones is talented but I don't think people understand how much things change when you move a weight class. Do you know the difference in getting tagged by Machida Rashad, Gustaffson etc compared to JDS or Cain. What about the physical difference in the clinch. Jones is a very talented fighter and yes he is tall but he is a light heavyweight. He would beat some heavyweights with his talent but not the top of the heap. Look what happened last night fighting someone his build. Yes it wasn't all size gustaffson is very talented but go have dos santos throwing punches at your head and lock up with cain and its a whole other ball game. There is no still ts. He was never going to win at hw and wont now.

4. Superchile2

Superchile2 Yellow Belt

Im a Cain fan but I think Jones would give him problems just because of the big reach advantage.

5. MMALeBronJames

MMALeBronJames Purple Belt

Jones is only a threat to smaller opponents, he'd get knocked out silly by Reem or JDS.

6. Xyiencemma

Xyiencemma Purple Belt

Can't use your reach when your being wrestle fuc*ed

7. WinterSoldier

WinterSoldier Black Belt

If Jones were to put on the body mass correctly I think he would be a good heavyweight.

8. Horse Meat

Horse Meat Praise be Ditka. Amen.

100% this.

Anyone with half a brain knew this from the beginning. It just took time for it to be proven.

9. corrupted

corrupted Brown Belt

His size makes a difference ... All the talk about Gus being as tall with similar reach, it was part of what made the match up so close, (I thought Gus won, but can see how the judges would see it differently). Gus' footwork was great and his TDD was brilliant. But his attack was made a lotmore effective because of is size and reach.

10. Redhawks100

Redhawks100 Gold Belt

Jones will never go to HW. JDS would destroy him with ease.

11. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

Not sure how a competitive fight with Gus has any impact on how Jones would fair at HW

12. Blah4

Blah4 Purple Belt

Once he beats Cormier the Jones-HW-train will be at full speed again. Still think he beats Cain if he puts on some muscle, he has the bigger frame and is the better fighter p4p.

13. Ipissedyouoff

Ipissedyouoff Yellow Belt

Jones packs on the extra weight to move up to HW and it will significantly slow him down. He would not be moving about with the same kind of speed and agility that he is currently known for.

14. spankdaddy

spankdaddy SPANKDADDY _________________________

I think Cain would lay a bad beating on him. JDS too. Hell, I'd really like to see him against Cormier at 205.

Jones proved he's tough last night and he's better for it today. Other fighters will probably also be better when facing Jones though knowing he's beatable.

15. cruz2990

cruz2990 Green Belt

Cain would destroy Bones ... I don't think bones is going to HW anytime soon.

16. Horse Meat

Horse Meat Praise be Ditka. Amen.

Because for the first time in his career he fought someone his own size and he barely came out of it as the champ.

He wouldn't beat people bigger than him. The top of the HW division would cream him.

17. pick999

pick999 Silver Belt

needs better gas tank

18. Dman4Life8017

Dman4Life8017 Green Belt

I hate this kind of talk, because last night proved nothing in regards to Jon Jones as a HW. It's impossible to speculate what type of fighter he'd be as a HW. We don't know how much weight Jon would add to compete as a HW, or how it would be added. We don't know how his fighting style would change as a result from him putting on more muscle. We don't know if his striking would be more powerful/effective. We don't know how his cardio would hold up with more weight on him. We don't know what his approach to a fight would be at HW beacuse the power difference is a lot greater than those at LHW.

There are too many unknowns to extrapolate a reasonable composite of how Jones would be as a HW. And to think that last night showed anything in regards to that is fucking stupid.

19. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

He came closer to finishing Gus than Gus came to finishing him.

20. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt