Jay's BJJ Training Log

jlane

White Belt
Reaction score
I have such a fancy way of naming threads.

Firstly, some details:

Height: 5'11
Weight (morning): 182 lbs as of 29/10/10

I've been training BJJ for a few months now, once or twice a week. I'm currently a no stripe white belt, being at the bottom of the pecking order. However I can say with some confidence doing BJJ is slowly becoming a love, and I hopefully should be competing in a competition or two next year for the experience. I wouldn't take them too seriously though, not this time round anyway.

The good thing is I'm not getting completely smashed in training anymore, but I still haven't had a submission since I started (the only plus being I've gone from tapping out over 10 times a night to around 2/3). As long as theres evidence that I'm improving then I'm happy.

I want to lose around 10lbs and then make my way up slowly till I hover around 200 sometime next year. At present I have time for 2 BJJ sessions on a monday and a thursday, and 2 weights sessions on a tuesday and friday. I was thinking of just doing the same lifts on tuesday and friday, but if theres anything I'm missing out then please let me know.

I'm going to keep strength training whilst I lose the weight and then yank it up a notch once I start gaining weight again. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Apologies for the lengthy post.

-----

Tuesday 2nd November - [Not including warm ups, Smith is the best i can get for Bench and Squat] --- Scratch the converting to lbs, keeping it in KGs for limey ease.

Gym:

Smith Squat:

5 x 60
5 x 60
5 x 60

Bench Press:

5 x 32.5
5 x 32.5
5 x 32.5

Military Press:

5 x 20
5 x 20
5 x 20

Deadlift:

5 x 75
5 x 75
5 x 75

Last edited:
Thursday 4th November

BJJ.

Stretching
Drilling
Rolling

We drilled a couple of things tonight, firstly a kimura from guard, which I'm still having problem with. Guess I have short arms. Moving on to a sweep incase someone tries to block the kimura.

We then went over some stuff I hadn't seen before, including pulling guard from standing, an armbar from there, transitioning to an omoplata and then an omoplata sweep to mount to another armbar attempt. God knows, my head hurts just thinking about it. I can barely get my head around normal techniques, when it comes to rolling around and spinning I go to pot, completely.

Got mullered rolling as well and clicked something in my neck, every week i seem to hurt my neck in some way.

Not my best, thats for sure.

Woooo another BJJ log. Welcome!

I think neck pain is common, I do neck crunches a lot to make my neck stronger.

Keep up the good work brother. Good luck in your training. Train hard, train smart.

Woooo another BJJ log. Welcome!

I think neck pain is common, I do neck crunches a lot to make my neck stronger.

I see, what exactly is a neck crunch? Is it that exercise where you hang your head off a bench with a weight plate on top and lift it?

I get it from being choked from the front mostly, sometimes from the back, but mostly from having the pressure on the back of my neck, last couple of times have been from arm triangles and suchlike.

Keep up the good work brother. Good luck in your training. Train hard, train smart.

Thanks a lot man, I'm hoping if I can get myself through these first 6-12 months then I can start enjoying it a lot more.

Friday 5 November

Smith Squat:

5 x 62.5
5 x 62.5
5 x 62.5

Bench Press

5 x 35
5 x 35
5 x 35

Military Press

5 x 25
5 x 25
5 x 25
5 x 25

Lat Pulldown (Wide Grip)

5 x 30
5 x 30
5 x 30

Weighted Crunches:

10 x 50
10 x 50
10 x 50

Notes: My lats lag a long long way behind anything else, starting pretty low, I'd do pull ups but i can barely do one. Weighted crunches felt very easy though.

Last edited:
I see, what exactly is a neck crunch? Is it that exercise where you hang your head off a bench with a weight plate on top and lift it?

I get it from being choked from the front mostly, sometimes from the back, but mostly from having the pressure on the back of my neck, last couple of times have been from arm triangles and suchlike.

I guess you COULD do it like that but I just lay on my back and lift my head off the ground in a "crunching" motion. I do that 50 times up and down, then 50 side to side. It sounds really stupid until you try it and realize it's actually really hard.

I guess you COULD do it like that but I just lay on my back and lift my head off the ground in a "crunching" motion. I do that 50 times up and down, then 50 side to side. It sounds really stupid until you try it and realize it's actually really hard.

Ahhh now I get what you mean.

I guess yours is like a bodyweight crunch, and the one i described would be equivalent to crunching with a weight plate on your chest. Like a version for as your neck gets stronger? I dunno.

I'll give it a try your way though, sounds a lot safer too.

Last thing I want is to push myself too hard and end up having to take time off. I suck as it is :redface: haha!

Ahhh now I get what you mean.

I guess yours is like a bodyweight crunch, and the one i described would be equivalent to crunching with a weight plate on your chest. Like a version for as your neck gets stronger? I dunno.

I'll give it a try your way though, sounds a lot safer too.

Last thing I want is to push myself too hard and end up having to take time off. I suck as it is :redface: haha!

Yeah I'd definitely start with BW neck exercises especially if it hurts.

And nonsense about sucking. You even said you were improving in your first post :p That's all that matters.

Yeah I'd definitely start with BW neck exercises especially if it hurts.

And nonsense about sucking. You even said you were improving in your first post :p That's all that matters.

Well I'm a bit better than I was when I started, but I still suck at such basic things like passing the guard and any sort of submissions. I only tend to have any sort of success against the new guys, but even then I can't seem to submit them. Wish I had someone to drill with outside of classes, heh.

Some sort of delayed onset sprain in my wrist from friday, woke up with it on sunday and couldnt even lift a bottle of water.

Will hopefully get back into training on thursday or friday this week. Typical, I make a log and I get injured!

Thursday 11th November:

BJJ - Back to training, wrist is better now. Usual teacher wasn't in, so two of the blue belts took the class - cue horribly acrobatic warmup. I'm not an acrobat, at all. Cartwheels and stuff aren't my thing at all.

Did a few judo style takedowns, drilled them a few times. I felt like i was doing rather well with an "over the shoulder" style throw, no idea what its called, involved going to your knees and pulling their arm across your shoulder. Probably what i'd think of if I imagine judo.

Drilled a few gi chokes and an armbar variation, nothing fancy really, tight ass chokes though.

Add in a few rounds of rolling, where I didn't fare too badly, but nothing special. Got tapped a couple of times but thats how it is.

Friday 12th November:

Weights:

Only did half the workout today, as I was extremely pressed for time and the things I needed were crowded. Thats what I get for going at a different time :p

Squat:

5 x 65
5 x 65
5 x 65

Bench Press

5 x 40
5 x 40
5 x 40

However on the bright side, my squat and bench press are still going up. I fear I might stall on my squat once I reach around 70kg though, those weren't too nice today.

Only trained twice this week. Damn.

Monday:

BJJ:

Learned a couple of techniques from the back, felt quite confident whilst sparring against the first guy, but then when I got paired with the second I got absolutely hammered.

Was really annoyed about that, just as I start to get some sort of good feeling about sparring, I end up being sparred with someone heavier, more experienced (2 stripes as opposed to my 0 strips), stronger and who, despite seeing I'm visibly exhausted from rolling with him, goes all out without a break for 5 minutes. Not to mention snapping on an armbar so quickly I nearly got seriously injured.

Whats a guy to do, really.

Friday:

Squat

5 x 65
5 x 65
5 x 65

Bench Press

5 x 42.5
5 x 42.5
5 x 42.5

Military Press

5 x 32
5 x 32
5 x 32

Lat Pulldown

10 x 50
5 x 60
7 x 65

(Wasn't sure what weights to use for pulldown, dont want to go way too light.)

Back